R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Uhhh...a 3200 Orion is $75 or so new and you could probably run two heats and a main on one charge if you wanted to.

Since you don't seem to be too familiar with the newer stuff...you don't really "use" the capacity with a LiPo, you just use what you use, then top it back off. A 5 minute heat uses 1100-1200 or so in stock, you just top it back off that much and you're ready to go in 15 minutes or so.

You have one $70-75 battery (you can buy them used for 50-60), one $60 charger (LiPo chargers are really cheap), no dischargers, no trays, no dead-shorting, no cycling...no nonsense...battery never comes out of the car.

You should read up on them. I hear they're becoming quite popular for some reason.

BTW -- that Integy charger is pretty cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
Ok smart a$$, I get packs for more like 45 -55, and the only lipo worth buying is the Orions because they actually have a durable case, and they are more like $150... I have heard if ya go cheap on lipos.... Bang! Out comes the "magic smoke", and bye bye goes whatever is close to it, radio, receiver, whatever!!!

Where are ya going to race, to utilize the added capacity of a lipo? Cause as far as I know most tracks run at most 7 minute mains, here we ran a 15 minute main and 4200s' worked just fine!
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:06 AM   #47
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Well at Horizon the Orion 3200 is $93.99

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=ORI14001

Its sorta doesnt matter because tracks around here dont allow their use anyways... So therefore I dont have to "Know" anything about a battery I cant use.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:15 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Horizon is a rip-off. Nobody pays full retail or even close to it.

Check speedtechrc, nexusracing, towerhobbies or your local store. Nevermind, they're probably illegal where you live, too. LOL

BTW -- if you're gonna talk trash about them...you should know something, otherwise, you'll just look dumb. It's OK if you don't know...just don't play like you do...then say you didn't need to know in the first place.

Quote:
Well at Horizon the Orion 3200 is $93.99

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=ORI14001

Its sorta doesnt matter because tracks around here dont allow their use anyways... So therefore I dont have to "Know" anything about a battery I cant use.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:26 AM   #49
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Horizon is a rip-off. Nobody pays full retail or even close to it.

Check speedtechrc, nexusracing, towerhobbies or your local store. Nevermind, they're probably illegal where you live, too. LOL

BTW -- if you're gonna talk trash about them...you should know something, otherwise, you'll just look dumb. It's OK if you don't know...just don't play like you do...then say you didn't need to know in the first place.
I am not trashing them! I gave my opinion. That is the title of this thread isnt it? "POLL: Lipo or NiMH"

Yes they are illegal here, everybody runs NiMH and we dont complain a bit!
So what, you have to charge packs and actually remove them from your car. I dont mind it one bit nor does anybody else around here...

IMHO
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:32 AM   #50
Tech Elite

They're too expensive...they go "poof"...sounded like you were trashing them...but maybe I just took it wrong after you called me "smartass".
Old 08-08-2007, 02:06 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
They're too expensive...they go "poof"...sounded like you were trashing them...but maybe I just took it wrong after you called me "smartass".
There is this crazy guy at our track who I seen run a 6 minute 4wd heat and then got in on the Nitro main and ran another 10 minutes with no recharging. That was pretty cool but I still like NiMh though.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

anyone who says "NiMh/Cd" here has probably never run both lipos and sub-c's... because once you go lipo you can't go back, period, unless you're completely masochistic... lipos are so much more convenient, and more durable than NiMh... you get both the practical and financial aspects covered with lipos, why bother with NiMh?

+1 for Lipo.

here is switzerland, club racing allows both but nationals are on sub-c's only. as a result quite a few of us don't do nats anymore... SRCCA, ROAR, IFMAR, EFRA, CAN YOU HEAR US????

Paul
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have lipos and NiMh - this is almost one huge non issue. My 1 year NiMh packs still perform as good as my brand new lipo. I'm comparing 3800s and 4400 nimh to 5000 lipos.

Truth hurts.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #54
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Still NiMh here, and brushes too. I like the feel of the nimh and brushed motors.

So, what are you doing about the weight difference?
Bike racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:00 AM   #55
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
I have lipos and NiMh - this is almost one huge non issue. My 1 year NiMh packs still perform as good as my brand new lipo. I'm comparing 3800s and 4400 nimh to 5000 lipos.

Truth hurts.
Compare that NiMH pack to what it was a year ago. Still the same punch and runtime right? Nope. From your comments over in the 5 cell thread, I figured you'd be more about consistency of performance over the little voltage edge you get from NiMH. You know, with consistent performance, drivers can improve their handling of their car because it will perform the same over and over?
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:00 AM   #56
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

LiPos suck, fix the voltage and I might get some. Besides, they sometimes go BOOM!
desertraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #57
Tech Legend

Quote:
I am not trashing them! I gave my opinion. That is the title of this thread isnt it? "POLL: Lipo or NiMH"

Yes they are illegal here, everybody runs NiMH and we dont complain a bit!
So what, you have to charge packs and actually remove them from your car. I dont mind it one bit nor does anybody else around here...

IMHO

Weird ?

No one complains about cells going bad after a few races & having to replace their Nk Ml pack`s every two or three month ?

Where do you live ?

I can`t believe you guys accept that .....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertraton View Post
LiPos suck, fix the voltage and I might get some. Besides, they sometimes go BOOM!
LiPos are down a little on voltage, but you're right, at least they don't go BOOM.

We had one of those stupid things go off last week. It sounded like a firecracker. Blew the end of the cell clear off. He was out running, it was very fortunate that there were no people standing near.

Containment + expansion = bomb = BOOM. LiPo has no containment...no containment, no BOOM. Flares are hot, but they don't shoot through walls or blow cars apart.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesnMeyer View Post
There is this crazy guy at our track who I seen run a 6 minute 4wd heat and then got in on the Nitro main and ran another 10 minutes with no recharging. That was pretty cool but I still like NiMh though.
Yeah that guy is off the tracks...LOL...as I recall, he got paddled by the CRT's though. After that, he let a few other guys run the car around.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:20 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Weird ?

No one complains about cells going bad after a few races & having to replace their Nk Ml pack`s every two or three month ?

Where do you live ?

I can`t believe you guys accept that .....
(scroll)

In a distant world

where no news exists

there were a few brave souls

who held on until

the bitter end

(/scroll)