R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-15-2007, 07:49 AM   #406
Tech Elite

i walked out of the hobby shop yesterday with a 6k mAh lipo, novak gtb, velociti 4.5, spektrum pro conversion module for m8 and a 2nd receiver, lipo charger.. and i felt good knowing that my race day prep time is now cut in half. I can actually walk around the pits and talk (smack) with friends, watch more action on the track or on the satellite tv.. in essence I get to spend more time enjoying my hobby and the people which is what this is all about. It's why people get into and out of it.

don't fret guys, i didn't toss the novak synthesizer nor the qc2 esc out the window. plenty other vehicles to use them for but there may be a sale on some receivers lol.

i've waited 15 years for some intelligent technology to be introduced to r/c. the only thing left is to tell the guys with the 5.5s and 6.5s that is not the motor that they're losing to.

Let's Race.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #407
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
i walked out of the hobby shop yesterday with a 6k mAh lipo, novak gtb, velociti 4.5, spektrum pro conversion module for m8 and a 2nd receiver, lipo charger
No LVC?!?
skelly1344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:10 AM   #408
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly1344 View Post
No LVC?!?
Unless the hobby shop had old stock, all GTB ESCs now come with lipo LVC. If it was the spread spectrum version it's guaranteed to be included older stock or not. I did notice he mentioned the Spektrum module for his M8 so there's no reason he couldn't have gotten the SS.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:18 AM   #409
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
i walked out of the hobby shop yesterday with a 6k mAh lipo, novak gtb, velociti 4.5, spektrum pro conversion module for m8 and a 2nd receiver, lipo charger.. and i felt good knowing that my race day prep time is now cut in half. I can actually walk around the pits and talk (smack) with friends, watch more action on the track or on the satellite tv.. in essence I get to spend more time enjoying my hobby and the people which is what this is all about. It's why people get into and out of it.

don't fret guys, i didn't toss the novak synthesizer nor the qc2 esc out the window. plenty other vehicles to use them for but there may be a sale on some receivers lol.

i've waited 15 years for some intelligent technology to be introduced to r/c. the only thing left is to tell the guys with the 5.5s and 6.5s that is not the motor that they're losing to.

Let's Race.

hey Mason you are going to love the lipo with brushless , it was nice racing this past weekend and i only peaked the battery twice!!! that was with practice 2 quals and the main!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #410
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Unless the hobby shop had old stock, all GTB ESCs now come with lipo LVC. If it was the spread spectrum version it's guaranteed to be included older stock or not. I did notice he mentioned the Spektrum module for his M8 so there's no reason he couldn't have gotten the SS.
Ah, I was unaware of that. I knew it was built into the SS GTB, but didn't know it got implemented in the normal GTB too.
skelly1344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #411
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly1344 View Post
Ah, I was unaware of that. I knew it was built into the SS GTB, but didn't know it got implemented in the normal GTB too.
Recent change. I actually just swapped my older GTB #1710 for the SS version in part for the cutoff (the other part is it was dead). Now the 1710 model lists the LVC as a feature.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #412
Tech Elite

its the version optimized (optimised) for spread spectrum w/lvc.. you see, I'm way down the list on local racers actually using this now so i have the latest n greatest. These items will be going into my sprint car. Which there is only 1 left in our class (out of 7 or 8) that run brushed or nimh. i don't have to take the car half apart to get the battery in and out of it now. a 2nd lipo is on order so i can run the off-road state series this year.. (still gotta replace esc/motors in my off-road cars)
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #413
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Maybe you didnt see this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Old 08-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #414
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TMR CHASSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripthreat View Post
I have talked with many people in the industry, and they all agree 1/10 RC should go to 5-cells. And not just mod tc, every discipline and every class, stock to mod. I agree. Right now, 6 cells is 7.2v and 2s Lipo is 7.4v no big deal. But 5 cells is 6.0v, the right range. There is no way to get Lipo in that range. It is simply 3.7 or 7.4.. to little or too much...lose-lose. The real change to reduce cost all around... tire wear, cheaper battery, longer motor life, longer electronics life, ect. ect
Frank, How do you think 5-cells will slow the cars down? In paved oval we are running a lot faster now with 4-cell! If you drop to 5-cells guys will just start running 7-9 turns instead of 10-12 turns. This will not fix any thing I can see. Sorry to say it will do the same thing offroad like it did to oval!

Now I can tell you Novak is working with some of the series around to make B/L motor to run with lipo's. If you want to slow things down change motors. In the past we have been running 10.5/4-cell in pancars but with Novaks help we have 17.5/ lipo running same speeds and no more motor or batteries to mess with. Plus normally we would run 6 single in mod with 4-cells now 10.5/ lipo is very close.

I am going to start running some offroad and I would like to get a lipo and just run it with my 12-13t and be done. But don't want to waste my time if every thing is going to 5-cell. JMO

Raymond McCoy

HyperDrive Racing
ProMatch Batteries
John's BSR Racing tires
KCRacing Motors
Kimbrough Products
MSA Distributors
RC4LESS
TMR CHASSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:53 AM   #415
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't know about the nominal voltage of a lipo being 7.4 or 8.4 etc. I do know my 3200 LIPOS shut off on the charger at 8.41 volts. I also know my 4200's are rated at 1.2v per cell, but they discharge at an average of 1.239 - 1.242 VOLTS per Cell @ 35 amps. which would be a discharge AVERAGE of 7.44 VOLTS @ 35 amps. The 3200 Carbon Lipo @ 35 amps has been discharging at closer to 7.00 volts, but has a Lot closer discharge curve.

A Good 4200 NIMH pack should pull more voltage, so it should be FASTER at least up front compared to a 3200 style LIPO...but the LIPO would/should run virtually identical lap times for a entire race.

We OVAL tested one of the NEW Slower NOVAK motors this weekend..(Well we thought it would be SLOWER anyway) it was a 21.5 motor and we had it run with the 3200 LIPO - and it turned in lap times that were .5 seconds a lap QUICKER than the 4 cell STOCK class we were hoping it would run slower than.
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:51 AM   #416
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
I don't know about the nominal voltage of a lipo being 7.4 or 8.4 etc. I do know my 3200 LIPOS shut off on the charger at 8.41 volts. I also know my 4200's are rated at 1.2v per cell, but they discharge at an average of 1.239 - 1.242 VOLTS per Cell @ 35 amps. which would be a discharge AVERAGE of 7.44 VOLTS @ 35 amps. The 3200 Carbon Lipo @ 35 amps has been discharging at closer to 7.00 volts, but has a Lot closer discharge curve.

A Good 4200 NIMH pack should pull more voltage, so it should be FASTER at least up front compared to a 3200 style LIPO...but the LIPO would/should run virtually identical lap times for a entire race.

We OVAL tested one of the NEW Slower NOVAK motors this weekend..(Well we thought it would be SLOWER anyway) it was a 21.5 motor and we had it run with the 3200 LIPO - and it turned in lap times that were .5 seconds a lap QUICKER than the 4 cell STOCK class we were hoping it would run slower than.
The nominal voltage of single lipo cell is 3.7. Yes the voltage roll off is very flat. Also the lipo will hold equal or greater than 3. volts per cell through the duration of its capacity rated in mah. So that means that the lipo will be going almost as fast at it end as it was at the beginning.

I understand you thought behind the 'nimh should be faster up front' statement but it is not correct. This reason is because the lipo will be able to provide greater current without the voltage level suffering then the nimh can. THe greater voltage will cause higher wheel spin thus greater speed. Most of th elipos I use can deliver over 100 amps of current and hold that at 3.4 volts per cell. That is a massive difference. I have not used the 21.5 yet. I cant wait to run it and see how it performs on the Mamba Max controller.
RURC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:14 AM   #417
Tech Master

Since this thread has turned in the right direction I am going to inject my 2 cents worth with the li-pos!

Electric Off-Road racing here in the Carolinas would have all but vanished to everybody racing gas 1/8th scale buggies 2 or 3 years ago, but li-po and brushless with a few us diehards along with combining with the dieing gas truck class with 20 minute mains and mandatory pit stops for electric keep it alive and is now thriving in the area. The Pro Truck class is now over 3 years old here and is the only class racing at the famous Farm raceway and was the basis that ROAR added the demo Li-po Brushless Truck class at the Electric Off-Road Nats this year that was a huge success with less than 1 month's notice had the top pros in the class that also had more entries than even some of the traditional classes ROAR has at the Nats.

Longer races with Li-pos and brushless are the future for Electric Off-Road racing to be reborn and survive in the future!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #418
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Most of th elipos I use can deliver over 100 amps of current and hold that at 3.4 volts per cell.
I agree, and we are seeing this..and when this is coupled with what we thought were going to be a SLOW motor (based on old NIMH tech) It's like we can't SLOW down a B/L motor..even though it has NO rpm.

The TORQUE and POWER is just incredible from ALL of these things....but the higher wind B/L motors do make it a TON easier on the line or off from a slippery corner...
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:42 AM   #419
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR CHASSIS View Post
Frank, How do you think 5-cells will slow the cars down? In paved oval we are running a lot faster now with 4-cell! If you drop to 5-cells guys will just start running 7-9 turns instead of 10-12 turns. This will not fix any thing I can see. Sorry to say it will do the same thing offroad like it did to oval!
True, Oval is faster now.. but don't forget, that when we went to 4-cells, we were just running 2400 and barely 3000s. With a 2000-6cell pack, you had to run a 12 or 13 to make runtime. With a 2400, you could wick up a 12 and make it. As soon as we got 3000s while running 6cell, we could run 9 or 10 turns, way to fast. That's when the rest of us went to 4 cells. It sure wasn't as fast then as it is now, and definately less power than 6-cell. Evidence of this can be found in the Snowbird's results. 6-cell is always faster.

Also, isn't stock and 19t 4-cell quite a bit slower than 6-cell? Noticably IMO.

Frank
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #420
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

5 Cell

I have 4 very high runtime 5 cell packs if someone is needing some.NIB.
Email me or PM me if intrested.

Thanks,Les

I love 5 cell in Mod.Just wont be able to run it due to work schedule.
TexRacer is offline   Reply With Quote