R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-14-2007, 04:54 AM   #391
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd Racer View Post
My apologies for any misunderstanding I may have caused. I completely understand what you mean now in your earlier posts, however assure you that the rest of my post wasnít directed towards you, but to the rest of the readers of the forum to clarify. All right, Iíll catch up on the rest of the readings tomorrow here, lol. Good discussion everyone.
That is all right. I am glad that it was finally understood. One more thing I would like to see is longer races. 5 to 7 minute races kill me. I would like to see 15 minute heats with a 20 or 25 minute final. This is easily done with lipo and A123. Not so easy with nixx. I would like to see pitting in 1/10 also. Make a 40 minute race with a mandatory pit and battery change.

My most radical idea is a final inversion die. What I mean here is that for the final race in any given class there is a regular die that the TQ'er will roll before the race start. On the die there are 4 sides that are white and 1 red and one blue. If it lands on white no change to the race. If it lands on blue the top 10 get inverted for the start of the final. If it lands on red the entire field gets inverted. I dont mean turned on their roofs. I mean starting order. I have played this a few times here in Florida and a couple times in Europe. It really shakes things up. One thing we did do was allow for an extra 2 minutes of prep time for the inversion in case anyone needed to change any settings.

With lipo and liion batteries 1/10 needs to be treated more like 1/8. I have 1/8 buggies that will run over an hour on a single charge at race speeds.

5 cell nixx racing should not happen. Let the technology help steer the sport. Not the other way around.
RURC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #392
Tech Fanatic

I wouldn't be very intrested in corner marshalling a 40 minute race or having to have a pitman to enjoy my hobby. If I wanted that type of racing, I would just race nitro. I also wouldn't be very happy running a new TQ pace to have it be made worthless by a chance roll of the dice. That pretty much makes qualifing just practice runs.

I feel electric races should stay just as simple as the cars are. I wouldn't mind 8 minute racing though.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:27 AM   #393
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Our local club races would be three day events if we ran 10 to 15 minute heats and 30 to 409 minute mains.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:51 AM   #394
Tech Adept

Come on guys. Shake things up. The same thing is old and boring. YOu ever wonder why we dont get many spectators at the events? Well it is because the same old thing is boring.

Longer races is better for all. Now if you have one bad lap you almost may as well just stop because there is no time to help make up for the loss. Also if you have a bad qualifying session you are down the order. Or how about the guys that dont qualify well but then come to life in the race for some reason. The inversion gives them something. I get tired of always seeing the same guys inthe top 5 places, includeing myself. Now if the field gets inverted and you were the TQ what you are made of will really come to light. Plus it gives a real show for the spectators.

Ok so the 40 minute may be long but the 20 is not. Clubs can do this they just choose not to.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #395
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RURC View Post
C. Or how about the guys that dont qualify well but then come to life in the race for some reason. The inversion gives them something. I get tired of always seeing the same guys inthe top 5 places, includeing myself. Now if the field gets inverted and you were the TQ what you are made of will really come to light.
Just because you qualify 10th doesnt mean you cant win the race. If you have the potential to win from the TQ spot then you ought to be able to work your way up from 10th.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #396
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubaboy View Post
Frank,

I'm not sure what your home track is. How big of a track is your home track?

One of my concerns, is out here many of our electric tracks are fairly large. 100x200 for instance. A 5 cell stock motor on a track this size would probably drop the speeds to 4 lap races. Can we say boring for the novice driver. It's bad enought that Mod is lucky to get 7 to 8 laps in a race.

Now on my track, it's only 100x70, so a 5 cell stock would be ok, and I may even agree that it would be a great start for the novice class or for Stocks in general. ANd on our current layout 5 cell Mod would probably be successful to. But I don't like the idea of buying a new chassis. Heh We tend to get people who get to comfortable racing in Stock and are afraid to bump up to tougher classes. So in this way 5 cell may work well.

More importantly, if we're interested in saving money, why can't we bump Stock motors up to bearings instead of bushings??

Very good point. I didn't really think about tracks that big. The tracks we run on around hear are mostly "electric size" about 100' x 70' on average.

I think that is also a good point. Stock with bearing and 5cells, might be just enough slower, without being too slow, plus it would definately have better longevity for brushes, comms, magnets ect.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #397
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Why won't a new (slower) motor spec for Novice work?

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #398
Tech Fanatic

RURC,

if you've ever looked at the results from the longer nitro mains, most of the drivers finish the race on different laps anyway. If you have a bad lap in a five minute race, you'll just have 4 bad laps in a 20 minute race and be that much further behind the leader. I wouldn't say nitro racing has anymore spectators than electric because they are racing longer, I would say its the noisy little engines. R/C racing shouldn't be a spectator sport, it should be a participation hobby. Spectators watch because they can't afford to do it themselves or are afraid to get hurt - is that what the hobby should become?
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #399
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i think adding more classes to an already watered down by classes format of racing hurts electric racing more. 5 cell stock would show that "slow is fast" but it is also very boring lol
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #400
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to encore75

Quote:
Make a 40 minute race with a mandatory pit and battery change.
40 minutes?!? Wow. I guess that would include a 5-10 minute pit stop for you to put a fan on the motor and ESC to cool them down before sending that sucker back out on the track.

I would like to see longer races though. Here at SRS, we go with 5 minute quals and mains in the electric classes. The 5 minute quals are fine (6 would be finer), but I think it'd be great to bump the mains up to 7 minutes. Give the novices a little more time on the track.

Hey Frank, for clarification purposes, is your goal with 5-cell to help support the novice/beginner and/or stock classes, or for all classes across the board?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #401
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore75 View Post
Hey Frank, for clarification purposes, is your goal with 5-cell to help support the novice/beginner and/or stock classes, or for all classes across the board?
I would like to see 5-cells for everything. I just think it will do the most good in stock/novice classes.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #402
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Come on guys. Shake things up. The same thing is old and boring. YOu ever wonder why we dont get many spectators at the events? Well it is because the same old thing is boring.
Because watching little cars bouncing around crashing into each other just isnt very exiting.

Quote:
Longer races is better for all. Now if you have one bad lap you almost may as well just stop because there is no time to help make up for the loss. Also if you have a bad qualifying session you are down the order.
Ever notice how the guys that run well over a five minute run are the same guys that run well over an hour main. Changing the format isnt going to instantly make you a contender or make someone else get slower.

Quote:
Or how about the guys that dont qualify well but then come to life in the race for some reason. The inversion gives them something. I get tired of always seeing the same guys inthe top 5 places, includeing myself. Now if the field gets inverted and you were the TQ what you are made of will really come to light. Plus it gives a real show for the spectators.
I do like random inverts in most forms of motorsports. We used to run a Top 10 qualifiers of the day Trophy Dash inverted and no turn marshalls. That was a very fun race and the pits usually emptied to watch it.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #403
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubb View Post
RURC,

if you've ever looked at the results from the longer nitro mains, most of the drivers finish the race on different laps anyway. If you have a bad lap in a five minute race, you'll just have 4 bad laps in a 20 minute race and be that much further behind the leader. I wouldn't say nitro racing has anymore spectators than electric because they are racing longer, I would say its the noisy little engines. R/C racing shouldn't be a spectator sport, it should be a participation hobby. Spectators watch because they can't afford to do it themselves or are afraid to get hurt - is that what the hobby should become?
No I have never been to a race. Well that may be you but I tend to settle down and get faster as the race progresses. So my average as the race progresses my mistakes become less and less. I just wish I could get that from the beginning. Here in Florida and the tracks I frequent in California and Europe the spectators at the nitro 1/8 scale races is 2 times or more. That statement "R/C racing shouldn't be a spectator sport, it should be a participation hobby" is the single most ludicrous remark I have heard in a long time. I showed your comment to people at Schumacher's office today and they were as appalled as I on that statement. Where the heck do you want new people to come from, thin air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenlife View Post
i think adding more classes to an already watered down by classes format of racing hurts electric racing more. 5 cell stock would show that "slow is fast" but it is also very boring lol
I dont want MORE classes I want them replaced. You are correct more classes would hurt the sport. Boring is the reason I want to see some kind of radical shake up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore75 View Post
40 minutes?!? Wow. I guess that would include a 5-10 minute pit stop for you to put a fan on the motor and ESC to cool them down before sending that sucker back out on the track.

I would like to see longer races though. Here at SRS, we go with 5 minute quals and mains in the electric classes. The 5 minute quals are fine (6 would be finer), but I think it'd be great to bump the mains up to 7 minutes. Give the novices a little more time on the track.

I run brushless 1/8 buggies for full races with no pit stops and I dont over heat anything. I am not the only one doing this. Properly set up the systems will last quite well. I have not even gone in to the available water cooled systems if you want them.

My question is "why is everyone opposed to change unless it is backwards to lower technology?" This sport can be really opened up if people would push for it. Right now everyone is scared of change. There needs to be electric racing systems set up all the way up to 1/4 scale. The technology is here and it works.

Last edited by RURC; 08-15-2007 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:59 PM   #404
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash View Post
\

I do like random inverts in most forms of motorsports. We used to run a Top 10 qualifiers of the day Trophy Dash inverted and no turn marshalls. That was a very fun race and the pits usually emptied to watch it.
I am glad you like some of it
Old 08-14-2007, 06:47 PM   #405
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:

I dont want MORE classes I want them replaced. You are correct more classes would hurt the sport. Boring is the reason I want to see some kind of radical shake up..
we agree here

Quote:
My question is "why is everyone opposed to change unless it is backwards to lower technology?" This sport can be really opened up if people would push for it. Right now everyone is scared of change. There needs to be electric racing systems set up all the way up to 1/4 scale. The technology is here and it works.
i agree here too. with a lipo battery it automatically levels out the playing field + brushless would just lower maintenance and could opt to 6-7 minute races. with the old technologies people will still push the limits the same. if you slow the cars down people will move to nitro. sure way back when the cars were slower but so was EVERYTHING else.
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote