R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #16
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAlford View Post
You know you have to gear the car different on 5 cell right?
you need to go up at least 3-4 teeth on the pinion
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

why not just make 3.7 volt lipo legal for stock (13.5 brushless) and amatuer modified, and allow 7.4 lipo for pro modified?

Better batteries for everyone, easier for newbs in stock class, to slow for good drivers in stock class, so they can run 3.7v modified, and the pros can run all out in their own 7.4v class.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

"the pros can run all out in their own class"

At small races there are not enough pros to run in their own class.

And at a big race MORE CLASSES.

Sorry, to many classes is a peev of mine. Who wants to beat 7 people in one of 17 classes for a win. Good for self esteam, Bad for compitition.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #19
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubb View Post
why not just make 3.7 volt lipo legal for stock (13.5 brushless) and amatuer modified, and allow 7.4 lipo for pro modified?

Better batteries for everyone, easier for newbs in stock class, to slow for good drivers in stock class, so they can run 3.7v modified, and the pros can run all out in their own 7.4v class.
Well, 3.7 is too slow... and the first guys to start to slow down the cars are the fastest guys on the planet, Factory Mod Touring Car guys. They saw the need before the rest of us...

DustinR - We already have a 19t class out here in CA. We also have like 3 levels of stock - rookie, sportsman, and Pro. What I am suggesting will actually elimate the 'Pro' class and have those guys running 19t.

So the following classes all 5 cell:

Mod
Pro-Stock (10.5)
Sportsman Stock (13.5)
Novice (13.5/RWYB)
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

who said anything about more classes? I mentioned three 3.7 stock, 3.7 modified, 7.4 modified - no other classes.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

3.7 volt stock is too slow for you and I, Frank, its not too slow for others, Sometimes you have to step back from the hardcore racer point of view and look at it from a novice hobbyest point of view.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #22
TLRacing

Quote:
who said anything about more classes? I mentioned three 3.7 stock, 3.7 modified, 7.4 modified - no other classes.
You didn't, but Dustin R did.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Old 08-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Rfury Send a message via Yahoo to Rfury

LiPo and Brushless are the future if RC is to survive. Both are cheaper in the long run. Both put more on the driver and setup. Which is always a good thing for competition and the racing.
Rfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #24
TLRacing

Quote:
3.7 volt stock is too slow for you and I, Frank, its not too slow for others, Sometimes you have to step back from the hardcore racer point of view and look at it from a novice hobbyest point of view.
I totally understand.. but 3.7 would be a near equivalent of running 3 cell Ni-MH. With the car's weight in mind, an offroad car would be able to jump even the smallest jump, and I don't think many people would like that..IMHO
Old 08-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mod
Pro-Stock (10.5)
Sportsman Stock (13.5)
Novice (13.5/RWYB)

Sounds good but agan in an average field of offroad there is 3 classes or cars and 4 classes of speed for each of those. 12 classes. At the nats this year there were 180 entries. That means roughly 15 people per class. I just hate to see that. What happened to stock truck and buggy and mod 2wd, 4wd, and truck.

Not trying to attack anyone just get my thoughts out there. I think this is a good discussion and if done right can get alot of constructive thoughts on the table.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

I've tried the 5 cell thing......................its perfect

I had my friends try it........................they all love it

I agree 100% with Franks original post..........that is the way to go
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82

It wont fix anything or be a positive change, the cars will slow down for a while going to 5 cell ( not that i think that is a good thing ) until motor/ESC/battery developers come up with a way to make them faster again and again till they go back to the speed it was once before, you cant stop technology moving fowards...

If people cant handle running a hot motor then dont run one, simple as that, if you want to win races you cant crash and make stupid mistakes from to much HP for your ability, so the drivers that are serious dont run to much HP anyway to be able to cut consistant laps, i agree it is frustrating when a noob runs a hot motor and crashes into you frequently when you are racing nice and consistant and forces you to lose the race, i guess more communication is needed between fellow drivers to show younger people and less experienced drivers that all the HP in the world isnt the right way to go in the sport.

I agree the cars have more HP than they ever need at the moment and thats a good thing IMHO, lets us buy a big motor and actually limit how fast we want to go with EPA adjustments and ESC adjustments,, instead of carrying around 10x different motor winds in our pit boxes like the old days.

And as far as voltage being lower doing less damage and wearing of stuff, i was always under the impression that having high voltage meant things ran cooler, it was insufficient voltage that creates heat in electrics... i could be wrong... i know with stereos you always overpower things to keep them running cooler, you underpower things and they get hot, due to the less efficient nature of things under high load...
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #28
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJA82 View Post
It wont fix anything or be a positive change, the cars will slow down for a while going to 5 cell ( not that i think that is a good thing ) until motor/ESC/battery developers come up with a way to make them faster again and again till they go back to the speed it was once before, you cant stop technology moving fowards...
You are right, technology will keep moving forward. So in 5 years, we will have 1.5 BL motors and 5700s that put out 1.4V per cell and TC will go 87mph down the straight and that will be better for us...

Look at F1...could you imagine if they still ran full track width, V12s, full slick tires, no Aero handicaps.. they would be going like 260mph down straights...and surely a driver would perish every year.

I am not saying that we are putting ourselves in harms warm by not doing some, but that is an example of necessary and successful speed reduction, something we need here... IMO
Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAlford View Post
You know you have to gear the car different on 5 cell right?
I was not running a 5-cell pack. I was running a 6-cell pack in which one cell discharged super early leaving me only 5-cells to run the rest of that qualifier. So, there are no reason to gear the car different. Everyone else was running either 6-cells or LiPo packs. The car was definitely slower after the one cell went away. To me, stock is slow enough (I usually run nitro touring car at races which offers that class). With 5 cells, it is way too slow and would be boring to racers and spectators alike. In my opinion, 5-cell is not the way to go (especially in stock). If you want to make the playing field level, you just have a spec class where you have to run a certain motor, battery pack, tire, and gear ratio.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes people need to be protected from themselves
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote