R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-09-2007, 04:17 AM   #196
Tech Fanatic

running on 5 cells is and has been a option in off-road.

Going to 5 cells in off-road wouldn't change much since we are not using the fastest brushed or brushless motors. In 2wd your using around a 7.5 to 6.5, truck a 6.5 or 5.5, and 4wd a 5.5 brushless. Going to five cells will just let everybody run 4.5 and 3.5 brushless motors. Stock class will be too slow, so 19 turn will become the new stock class. If traction is already limiting speed, then how will running 5 cells change things? you would just motor back up to the limit of traction. Who is burning up equipment in off-road anyway? Most electronic equipment these days have thermal protection.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:31 AM   #197
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

if we were to run 30 min mains how many lipo am i going to have to buy????small for qualifing and a 10000mh for the main....tell me that is cheeper then what we are currently doing.....

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:31 AM   #198
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Under the current rules, 5-cells are allowed anyway, so, what is all the beef about? If racers want to run 5-cells, knock themselves out!!! I don't believe that the standard should be pushed down to 5-cells (leave the standard at 6 cells), but, since LiPo technology is improving by the day, LiPos should be allowed.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #199
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. losi View Post
if we were to run 30 min mains how many lipo am i going to have to buy????small for qualifing and a 10000mh for the main....tell me that is cheeper then what we are currently doing.....
Who said anything about going to 30 minute mains? Thanks for throwing that orange in with our discusiion of apples.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #200
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:

Ha ha! How's I know that you would be chiming in. The answer is, if we were to run 30 minute mains, assuming that people wanted to do that, we would probably run nitro like we are now! If we did it with electric then you would run the same 8000-10000 mah battery for qualifying as you did for the main. Otherwise you'd have to change your setup from battery to battery to compensate for the dreastic weight change. It would still be cheaper...
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #201
Tech Legend

Jack , I tell every racer that I`v talked into purchasing the Orion Carbon 3200.....

"You will never put a Nk Ml back into your ride after you try"...

and so far

everyone of those racer`s still have not gone back to Nk Ml ...

And power ?

They always say there`s more , not less ......

Why in the world would somebody keep promoting the old battery`s is beyond me .....

Unless they think they have the best .....

I will guarantee U, they don`t have the best....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #202
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkarTisu View Post
F the NiMH/Li-Po debate.

There are finally Li-Ion packs available for RC applications now. There's a 4600mAh 6.6V pack available right now that looks like the size of a 6-cell sub-C pack.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=AQR400063
FYI, that pack is too wide for a standard battery tray. It's 53mm wide versus ~48mm for a standard size pack. That's the buggest problem with using A123 cells is their form factor.
skelly1344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #203
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly1344 View Post
FYI, that pack is too wide for a standard battery tray. It's 53mm wide versus ~48mm for a standard size pack. That's the buggest problem with using A123 cells is their form factor.

Crap. I hadn't seen dimensions on them. From their site, the 2300s apparently drop right in though.
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #204
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfwdude View Post
The best way to slow cars down (if that's your goal, which I think is the dumbest concept out there) extend race times to 10 or 15 or 20 minutes.

To finish, you'll have to be consistent, regardless of speed. Nimh's will make a 20 minute run on a brushless motor. Higher turn motors may be needed to finish without dumping. Long races force consistency. If guys can't finish races, they'll be forced to drive at a slower pace to allow them to finish.

Let drivers govern their own speed to match their ability, and let me drive my B4 with a 4.5 and lipos. It's up to my finger for throttle management, not my batteries, and that's the way I like it.

The biggest drawback to electric racing is 5 minute heats. One bobble, and you have no chance of first place.

Race times are the main reason i switched to 12th scale (8 minute heats) and converted a Losi 8ight to electric. Now I'm running in 15 minute mains in the club races.

Keep the rules as they are, but allow Lipo, and extend race times. Run what ya brung within the current classes, the driver who can lay down the power they have on hand will come out on top.

ok, so 20 min not 30......same question

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Old 08-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #205
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Ha ha! How's I know that you would be chiming in. The answer is, if we were to run 30 minute mains, assuming that people wanted to do that, we would probably run nitro like we are now! If we did it with electric then you would run the same 8000-10000 mah battery for qualifying as you did for the main. Otherwise you'd have to change your setup from battery to battery to compensate for the dreastic weight change. It would still be cheaper...
i could care less about ppl running lipo, just quit trying to force the world to change......
run it if you like, but dont try and ram it down my (and others) throat......

Old 08-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #206
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash View Post
Who said anything about going to 30 minute mains? Thanks for throwing that orange in with our discusiion of apples.
sorry for intruding in your lipo conversation......
i for one will be racing 5 cell this winter in both my buggy and sedan.....

Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #207
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash View Post

Why is it that everytime we have a real debate someone has to be rude???
Old 08-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #208
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahrcracer View Post

Why is it that everytime we have a real debate someone has to be rude???
Welcome to the internet! It takes a bit of getting used to our ways but you'll become one of us someday.

(BTW, I am just kidding around, do not take me seriously)
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #209
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
i could care less about ppl running lipo, just quit trying to force the world to change......
run it if you like, but dont try and ram it down my (and others) throat......
That's rich. No one is trying to force you to change or ram lipo down your throat like the 5 cell proponents are currently trying to do on this thread. Lipo users just want to be able to use them alongside NIMH at the majority of tracks and at the big races. Is that too much to ask?
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #210
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

2mod with a 5.5 brushless and 4200 nimh = 20-25 minute runtime.
4mod with a 4.5 brushless and 4200 nimh = 19-23 minute runtime. (geared high)

mellow out that motor and/or gearing (like the 5 cell argument is pushing) to a 7.5 or 10.5, and the runtime goes up.

Throw in a lipo 6000, 30 minutes is very doable.

I was just pushing that there could be more interest in electric with longer mains. I'm envious of Nitro with long races, and that one bobble won't kill you in a 30 minute race. It will force consistency, which inherently promotes smoother driving to be able to finish, much less finish first.
cfwdude is offline   Reply With Quote