R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

my local track runs all electric mains at 10 min. It is split right now 60/40 lipo /nimh.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #92
Tech Elite

even I am getting into this millenium. i bought a spektrum module for my m8, 2 pro receivers, 2 6k mah lipos, gtb w/4.5r

i have waited for a more level playing field since i got into this hobby in the mid 90s. shortly i'll have BL in my off-road vehicles which i'll be racing in the florida off-road series (roar) beginning in october as they have approved lipo/bl for all classes this year. I have also inquired about the Region 4 Off-Road Elec regionals getting a deviation for lipo/bl since the event is in november, and the series will have already begun. If so i'll be looking to attend barring any turkey day family plans. If not, i may still attend because its not at the other end of the state and i'll probably have some of the older technology to use.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #93
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We've been running lipo and brushless at the local indoor mini track for a few years now and like water seeks it's own level, most folks have quit showing up with 11.1V packs simply because they are overkill for the track. I think the same would be true for 1/10th, even if ROAR didn't impose some limit on total voltage. Having raced electric off road years ago, before it died out around here, I personally think reducing voltage is a mistake. Besides, it's not so much total voltage as it is the dramatic increase in mah ratings which push cars to higher speeds for longer. When we were running 1800 packs with mod motors, you still had 7.2V, but had to be careful with full throttle just to make 5 minutes, now you can peg it all you want and go 10~15 minutes or more. How can that be a bad thing? When I first got started in electric, we had mubachi sealed cans for beginners. They were too slow to get a buggy or truck airborne, but were perfect for learning the basics of steering and throttle control. Rather than limit voltage, why not come up with some kind of beginner specific class which used a slow motor? That would keep the power packs standardized across the board and allow new drivers to mover up for nothing more than the cost of a motor.

Having run both brushed and brushless, I would never go back to brushed. IMHO, electric is sitting on the verge of a huge comeback, provided they embrace the new technology. The quickest way drive the final nails in the coffin for electric would be to ignore the new motors and power cells like ROAR is trying so hard to do, or move to reduce total voltage. Like it or not, lipo is the future of battery technology, we can either embrace it and flourish, or ignore it and talk about how much fun electric used to be before it died out alltogether.

Just my $0.02
fhm555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #94
Tech Addict

Absolutely! When you make it sound simple you see how trully simple it really is. Use the technology we have to make the sport more accessible. And use the new technology to provide for the future. Cheap simple SLOW motors are out there and are compatible with the nimhs (xx) and the lipos. Newbies are covered. The new battery technologies can coexist with the current stuff. If anybody says otherwise they have an agenda.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #95
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

A friend of mine just bought a 3200 Orion a couple weeks ago. He brought it out for the first time and I told him how to charge/use it...and he kept going..."REALLY?" "Really?" "That's it?"...

Yep...that's it. Just use them, then charge them. They never even have to come out of the car.

I don't care one tiny little bit if they're a little less powerful than a 4200...they last forever, don't blow up and they (along with BL motors) make racing fun.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #96
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

SRS just made a rule change for the 2007 AZ State championship race (while not a ROAR race... still a big deal) to allow LiPo's in all classes except rookie stock.
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:23 AM   #97
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhm555 View Post
We've been running lipo and brushless at the local indoor mini track for a few years now and like water seeks it's own level, most folks have quit showing up with 11.1V packs simply because they are overkill for the track. I think the same would be true for 1/10th, even if ROAR didn't impose some limit on total voltage. Having raced electric off road years ago, before it died out around here, I personally think reducing voltage is a mistake. Besides, it's not so much total voltage as it is the dramatic increase in mah ratings which push cars to higher speeds for longer. When we were running 1800 packs with mod motors, you still had 7.2V, but had to be careful with full throttle just to make 5 minutes, now you can peg it all you want and go 10~15 minutes or more. How can that be a bad thing? When I first got started in electric, we had mubachi sealed cans for beginners. They were too slow to get a buggy or truck airborne, but were perfect for learning the basics of steering and throttle control. Rather than limit voltage, why not come up with some kind of beginner specific class which used a slow motor? That would keep the power packs standardized across the board and allow new drivers to mover up for nothing more than the cost of a motor.

Having run both brushed and brushless, I would never go back to brushed. IMHO, electric is sitting on the verge of a huge comeback, provided they embrace the new technology. The quickest way drive the final nails in the coffin for electric would be to ignore the new motors and power cells like ROAR is trying so hard to do, or move to reduce total voltage. Like it or not, lipo is the future of battery technology, we can either embrace it and flourish, or ignore it and talk about how much fun electric used to be before it died out alltogether.

Just my $0.02
Well said!!!!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:38 AM   #98
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhm555 View Post

Just my $0.02
Amen
RON F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #99
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

With an Orion 3200 and a Novak 6.5 how long of runtime are typical on the track in 2wd buggy? Also what is the runtime with the 4800mah?

Thanks.
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #100
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkwood View Post
With an Orion 3200 and a Novak 6.5 how long of runtime are typical on the track in 2wd buggy? Also what is the runtime with the 4800mah?

Thanks.
I run a 13.5 novak with a 3200 Orion lipo in the Kyosho RB5 and I get 20-25 minutes and the pack only get down to between 7.0-7.25v not even close to the ESC lipo cutoff range of 6.5v.
We have a guy who is running the 7.5 novak with the orion 3200 in a B4. After 12-15 minutes his pack was only down to 7.6v.

With the runtimes we are seeing there is no need to even use the 4800 packs. 3200 is more then enough.
Delyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #101
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Delyt, That was exactly the answer I was looking for. Many thanks.

I have a Tritron Jr charger, should I look at getting something else for the charging the Orion 3200? Also for racing do you all use two batteries and switch them out for every other heat? How long should the battery sit/cool after racing a heat before re-charging/re-peeking.
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:10 AM   #102
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkwood View Post
Delyt, That was exactly the answer I was looking for. Many thanks.

I have a Tritron Jr charger, should I look at getting something else for the charging the Orion 3200? Also for racing do you all use two batteries and switch them out for every other heat? How long should the battery sit/cool after racing a heat before re-charging/re-peeking.
I don't know anything about the Triton Jr charger, but I do know that all you need is one lipo per car and you don't need to let them sit/cool after a race because they actually cool down while charging. Try to get an NIMH to do that.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #103
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I use a triton 2 for charging my lipo and it works just fine. I would assume the jr should have no probs.
wfdfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:18 AM   #104
Tech Addict

I've been running brushless for over a year and Lipo's for over 6 months, I will never go back to brushed a NIMH. I have run electrics since 90 and have tryed to run with nitro's for most of that time, but while i could match speed and handling, runtime suffered as i gained speed. As the only one in my ares (Middle GA.) running electrics, I see brushless and LIPO's the saving graces of the electric classes. I even run a electric converted Revo (gorilla chassis) that has the power of a .28 with 20+minutes of run time.

I had never thought of running a ROAR race because i felt they held evolution and progression back for profit, but lately they are showing that they may be leaning towards an evolution and i am glad to see it. Thanks Dawn for your contribution and hope you're sucessor brings more good things

One more thing, everything i have learned about voltage and current. when you reduce the voltage, you increase the current to maintain performance. If thats true, then the already stressed batteries being used will be stressed even more and therefore increase the problem of NIMH's poping like is happening now. The only way to take the stress off the batteries is to increasr voltage

Last edited by crazyjr; 08-22-2007 at 12:00 PM.
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #105
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByWire View Post
SRS just made a rule change for the 2007 AZ State championship race (while not a ROAR race... still a big deal) to allow LiPo's in all classes except rookie stock.
Now thats what I call good news !!!!
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote