Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is LI-PO going to be ROAR Legal this year? >

Is LI-PO going to be ROAR Legal this year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is LI-PO going to be ROAR Legal this year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dawn is there anything we would be able to do to get Li-po's legal or is it up to you guys?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedFoxRacing
Dawn is there anything we would be able to do to get Li-po's legal or is it up to you guys?
well, its not as simple as saying in the rule book LiPo's are allowed.... I know people don't get that but you simply cannot in racing have Lipo and traditional run together. The advantages are significant... no matter the arguements about to be made.

Yes, ROAR is looking into how to get this done. Basically, your looking at a new class being created and certain safety requirements would have to be in place for a MFG's pack to be permitted. Specs will have to be created.

ROAR needs to see whats out there.... despite what you guys think... we need to be told what the membership wants... no crystal ball at the meetings... LOL

So, to answer your question.... I would say contact the Technical Director, David Lee, [email protected] - to express your concerns, ideas and offer your assistance to ROAR in membership areas.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Craps - I would be very interested in hearing about that conversation....

Just to let you know, ROAR didn't offer the class at the elecric off road nats to get people off their backs..... LOL ROAR did it to see WHO was interested in pursuing a NEW class and WHO would support it.

Yes, a new class for now.... will it be supported by the racers? In all types of racing? Sure, talk on RC Tech is easy.. and George Cherry is always threatening to become a ROAR member again.. but serious... will that ever happen??? LOL

I enjoyed the main at the off road nats... brought fuel racing mentality to electric racing.... which right now with off road fuel exploding in popularity.. that's the answer to electric racing. IMO.....
Dawn
I had a very brief conversation with Mike between mains Sunday and did not want to interupt him too much about Electric stuff at the Gas Nats! It was mainly about the class added on a short notice and the numbers entered on such a short notice.

I also talked to all the pros that ran in the class at that race with no negative comments about the race including a conversation with Maifield about swelling up a LRP li-po battery during qualifying that he confirmed to me that it did not happen and he even ran the battery in the main. So the only problem that was not really a problem was with Sean's battery that I recovered for you and showed you guys there was no problem with it!

I don't know about the "getting people off of ROAR's back", but I do believe you guys used that race as an observation to see what was out there, to see if there are any problems or issues and where possibly ROAR needs to go for the future to get Electric numbers back up! Thank you for letting us show you our class and how successful it was even on a short notice. Imagine how many would have been there if it would have been an official class!

Let me know if I can continue to help with any li-po related issues.

Thank you!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
well, its not as simple as saying in the rule book LiPo's are allowed.... I know people don't get that but you simply cannot in racing have Lipo and traditional run together. The advantages are significant... no matter the arguements about to be made.
Can you tell me which pack technology has the performance advantage in your opinion and why?

And I'm not counting the complete lack of babysitting required with lipo.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There is a group of us OVAL Racers who are pursuing LIPO's and mixing them with SLOWER motors to achieve classes similar to the speeds we had in 4 cell oval racing.

One of the luxuries we have that ROAR doesn't, is we can limit WHOSE products we allow.

We've chosen ONE MFG for the B/L motors NOVAK and basically ONE MFG for the Battery (ORION/PEAK) with their CARBON Edition 3200.

What ROAR has to face is being able to create a set of rules (I'm sure) that allows the market to be open, but yet create a set of tight rules to govern the safety and makeup of the batteries.

We've adapted to a technology that has been run, tested, and proven for a couple years now...and will write OUR rules for this introduction for our '08 season. We are afraid once ROAR does get into the LIPO 'rules' making that we'll take flack on our rules - but so be it...

I'm glad to see ROAR looking seriously into the LIPO market, and I was extatic when they annouced the addition of the LIPO class at the Off-Road Nat's (Good Job ROAR)

DAWN - Are you RUNNING for Re-Election?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SWTour
DAWN - Are you RUNNING for Re-Election?
No, I am not. The office of VP will be open at the end of the year... nomination ballots are available on the ROAR website with a deadline of 9/15/07 for nomination. The election ballot will be in the next issue of RevUP which will be available 10/1 and ballots to be received no later than 11/15/07.

Dawn

Oh, about the other question.. researching and will get back to you (pack advantages)
Old 08-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Dawn Sanchez for President!!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Craps
Dawn Sanchez for President!!!!
Not a chance in he.... well, you get my point.

Honestly, no time anymore for the 8-10 hours I have been spending on ROAR with two businesses as well. Its time for somebody else to step up and bring fresh ideas to the front of ROAR's mind. Currently, I'm doing four jobs and enough is enough... I want to be a pit wife and RC spectator for awhile.

Don't forget.... odd numbered region directors are up for election as well... And Canada for you Canadians reading this.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

pit what? From somebody who has been in every possible position in one of the busiest clubs and hobby shop/track in the state of florida, i do have some idea of the crap that gets tossed your way. I thank you for your tenure and wish you some great times enjoying r/c again and hopefully if you do any racing the wins come with a great battle and fulfillment.

Last edited by Mason; 08-20-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mason
pit what?
LOL... its a family place here... You know what I mean....

Originally Posted by Mason
I thank you for your tenure and wish you some great times enjoying r/c again and hopefully if you do any racing the wins come with a great battle and fulfillment.
My racing skills are severely lacking.. nicely said. I play around off road electric in the novice class from time to time and its so funny to watch, even I can't stop laughing long enough to concentrate..... I tried on road electric the other day... and that was even more hysterical. I found on road sorta bores me (sorry pavement dudes out there) and I kept trying to make it off road by jumping the boards... LOL

Thank you for your kind words though.... I am just hoping SOMEBODY steps up and nominates somebody for the position..... working with ROAR for these past four years has been rewarding and I'm hopeful I made a difference.... somebody out there with way more energy than I have can do soooo much more.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Dawn
You are a hard working individual and after my first 2 ROAR events I have ever attended were the Electric and Gas Truck Nats this year, the NM Nats was alot more organized than the NC one. You did a great job and I was impressed with the NM Nats.

I hate to see you go because with you on the board the electric off road has a very good representive for us!

Thank you for all you do!

PS. May you rest up that li-po throwing arm after retirement and get Sean some soldering lessons using deans plugs! Joking!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Isn't there a voltage reducer that is used in nitro for the receivers. Can't this be done to any lipo?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by kuzo
Can you tell me which pack technology has the performance advantage in your opinion and why?

And I'm not counting the complete lack of babysitting required with lipo.

O me too !
I want to hear why and how as well ....

Dawn , Just at my local track more than 1/2 of the racer`s already have switched to Li-Po ...

and even more will switch over in few month`s !

So how can Roar hope to keep racer`s with old battery`s that cost a lot have a short life span ?

And

How come Trcr can race both battery`s combined at with no issues
what so ever and Roar can`t ?
Old 08-21-2007, 06:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vabroom
Isn't there a voltage reducer that is used in nitro for the receivers. Can't this be done to any lipo?
For what benefit? NiMH after peaking already has a higher voltage than lipo. Are you talking about the 7.2V vs 7.4V nominal rating? Lipos can't be charged to over 8.4V while Nimh packs peak over 9V.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I don't see why if ROAR is going to have the truck lipo/brushless endurance class, why can't there be a buggy one as well?
In our club races I'd say at least 75% of the buggies are already lipo/brushless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.