R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #31
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfury View Post
I don't think that 10.5/19T need a reduction either. I raced both stock and 19t touring in the past. Even with a 13.5 now its not really that much faster.

Mod may need to be brought back some. I have not raced mod anything in about 5 years. Even then it was offroad in trucks. I can't comment on things I don't race.
So for those who do race stock/19t and mod they should have to have twice as many packs?
Old 08-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Rfury Send a message via Yahoo to Rfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude19641 View Post
So for those who do race stock/19t and mod they should have to have twice as many packs?
Why more packs? 1 LiPo will get the job done.

I see your point. Thats also why I would not go for a voltage reduction. I see no real point in it. Speeds are not that high. If you can't control a mod powered car then go down to 19t or stock.
Rfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #33
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfury View Post
Why more packs? 1 LiPo will get the job done.
Yes but what if someone wanted to run mod with a 6.0V LiPo and Stock with a 7.4V LiPo. Thats two different packs.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #34
Tech Elite

I reread your post and edited mine to reflect this.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #35
Tech Master

Ok so you say go down to 19t or stock but what about the worlds two years ago where people were running 5 cell in mod 2wd? They couldn't go to 19t/stock as they would have been well of the pace. The 2wd world champ ran 5 cell and won.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #36
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

they ran 5 cell because they didn't need the power...
some tried 14 plus turn motors but most just dropped a cell
AEoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #37
Tech Elite

I still see no point in reducing the voltage. Going to 6V seems to be a way to keep LiPo out for a couple more years till they can bring the voltages down.

If a rule like this came down and was enforced on the club level I would leave RC again. It just makes no sense to me.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #38
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=tripthreat;3554592]Although I like LIPO for reliability, longevity, and cost... QUOTE]

This is what brings new people to the hobby. IMO
chrlie sidebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripthreat View Post

Although 4 cells is a drastic improvement from 6, oval took a huge hit and is still dying..why? Because, instead of all the governing bodies and local tracks getting together and making a unanimus move to 4 cells, many didn't for even a year or two. Then resistance split the few oval racers into more groups, that were smaller and some slowly faded away.
And it would be different this time???
chrlie sidebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Huh?

A LiPo pack has LESS voltage than a current NiMh battery pack. It's nominally higher (the "name" is larger) than NiMh, but it actually has less voltage (8.4v max, vs. 9.0v+ for NiMh).

The really funny thing is that you can surf these same forums and find threads started by people who are complaining that they got ripped off and are going slower...go figure...LOL
Peak volts on the charger is totally irrelevant. What counts is volts under load and LiPos are higher.

I have a spec pack that peaks at 10.9 volts at the end of a charge cycle at 5 amps. Does it make the car run faster than an EP4200 pack that peaks at 9.0V? No way.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #41
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlie sidebite View Post
And it would be different this time???
It can be. History has taught us lots of lessons. Luckily ROAR has some history in this category, hopefully they use that knowledge and we can go forward properly.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
Peak volts on the charger is totally irrelevant. What counts is volts under load and LiPos are higher.
Actually...no they aren't. You should read up on it a little. There's lots of good tech info in the onroad forum or just search for posts from "Linger". Check the Platinum and 3200 threads as well.

The only time that LiPo even starts to have an advantage (because of the lower IR and higher capacity) is in a high-draw application. In slower classes, there's too much resistance in the rest of the circuit to really let the battery discharge as quickly as it's capable of doing. They have lower voltage, load or not, but under very high loads (very low resistance, like low-wind mods) they can maintain their lower voltage for longer.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_man View Post

I have a spec pack that peaks at 10.9 volts at the end of a charge cycle at 5 amps. Does it make the car run faster than an EP4200 pack that peaks at 9.0V? No way.
Go look at the AVERAGE voltage numbers on a cell label. The ones now are currently 1.25+. Thats 7.5v.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #44
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So my question is this. When you drop me down to say 6 volts. A brushless motor wants to turn so many rpms per volt. If I gear the crap out of my motor and can pull more amps then I still have enough torque to accellerate and now my top end is faster again? Am I missing something.

My understanding is that Power = Volts X Amps. If I have battereis and controllers that can pull more amps I end up with the same power. Don't we need something like the ESC to limit the Max Volts and Amps to truly solve this issue? Otherwise we will have people willing to burn up equipment to win a race. Which cost money. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #45
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Bottom line is we need lipo in all classes to be legalized along with brushless. If 6.0 volts is what is decided then great if 7.4 volts is where it is at then great. A little bit of thought (which this thread is a good start) will benefit the future of electric and the RC racing industry. If lipo is capped at 7.4 volts since that is where it is at today then so be it. The difference between 7.4 and 6.0 I doubt is that significant to go and design a new lipo battery.
sjenkins97 is offline   Reply With Quote