R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-02-2007, 05:50 AM   #211
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

"20 minutes races and all sound like great fun but who the hell wants to marshall them?? My track can't even get people off their asses for a 5 minute race let alone 20. I would not want to stand out there for 20 minutes, that's for sure. Has anyone got a solution to this issue?"

How true!
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:47 AM   #212
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Its easy for someone who has been in RC for several years to understand how 1 Lipo is better than 2 NiMhs but most beginners won't see it that way.

After spending 400-500 on cars and electronics most beginners will opt for a couple $40 4000+mah stick packs and $50 AC/DC non-lipo digital peak battery charger.

A lot of guys have asked me about lipos and shortly after I mention the ones I bought cost over $100 and you need a $80+ charger and $80 power supply the've lost all interest.

So, the cost is a problem. I think its the last hurdle. Just saying lipos last longer or are easier to use isnt enough to justify the extra expense to most people. We can only hope that as lipos become more popular costs will come down. It is unreasonable to think that someone should be able to get a decent pack and charger for under $100?

Maybe there are more cost effective options out there that I'm not aware of.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:58 AM   #213
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
This is why lipo//bl is the future of the hobby. It takes all the frustration out of the hobby for the beginner. Even though people suck at driving they will still have a car that is never under powered and will always charge up and run. There should not be 3 differant motor classes for the same chasis. If people suck at driving then heats will spread the field out and make for some good mains. If you don't believe me then just look at 1/8th scale nitro. If you are running touring cars and you can tell a differance in power between pack x and pack y while running a motor that puts out a kw of power on an indoor track then odds are spending $200 on a pack instead of $100 will not be an issue since you would now be spending $120 on 4 packs instead of $40 on 4 packs. Second your pack will last you for 2 years. I believe that all electrics should be run on 2s lipo and capacity should not be of concern. If indoor consisted of 40 people showing up and running two classes, lipo//bl pan cars & li//bl tc you would have 40 car fields and always field a full track even on slow days. Then, electric off road would be the best of both worlds. You could run 3 classes with out too much work. Not to mention you would be able to run in 20 minute mains instead of triple mains so you would have a much faster race day. Think about if you were able to spend your 5 minutes before your heats taking in laps w/out a concern instead of just standing there waiting for the heat to start. Li//Bl just makes for an easier day for your average level enthusiast.
Excellent post!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:00 AM   #214
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio View Post
20 minutes races and all sound like great fun but who the hell wants to marshall them?? My track can't even get people off their asses for a 5 minute race let alone 20. I would not want to stand out there for 20 minutes, that's for sure. Has anyone got a solution to this issue?
Where do you live? Most places in the USA have had so many convert to Nitro because of more track time and longer mains!!!

Li-po and brushless gives them the ease of electric with long runtimes and no pit man required.

They don't race the Indy 500 for the same number laps they qualify and why should we race 5 minute mains because we qualify for 5 minutes when we can race for 20 to 30 minutes non-stop! Longer races are more FUN and not won on that lucky first lap like a 5 minute main is won!!!

After the Nats at NM ask the top pros which they would rather race in!!! You will find they perfer a longer main to a 5 minute anyday!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:05 AM   #215
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1R 7humbs View Post
Until I heard about the power of Lipo and brushless motors I never really looked at electrics. I was always looking for the fastest .21 I could get my hands on but because of Lipo and brushless motors I'm not going back.
Welcome to li-po brushless electric! You are not alone and hopefully those that quit because of the frustration of tuning nitro will come join us too!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:59 AM   #216
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
Where do you live? Most places in the USA have had so many convert to Nitro because of more track time and longer mains!!!

Li-po and brushless gives them the ease of electric with long runtimes and no pit man required.

They don't race the Indy 500 for the same number laps they qualify and why should we race 5 minute mains because we qualify for 5 minutes when we can race for 20 to 30 minutes non-stop! Longer races are more FUN and not won on that lucky first lap like a 5 minute main is won!!!

After the Nats at NM ask the top pros which they would rather race in!!! You will find they perfer a longer main to a 5 minute anyday!
I think you totally missed the point of my post. You might want to re-read it. As I said, I am all for having longer races...I just don't want to stand on a track and marshall a 20 minute race. We have a problem getting marshalls for 5 minutes races as it is, let alone 20 minutes races. With all the issues being address in this thread, I have not seen the topic of marshalling. Let me give some of my suggestions:

1. Instead of pipes on the track, we could have a smaller barrier that could be driven over more easily.
2. Instead of 6 or 7 marshalls, maybe we could have 2 marshalls and 2 "referees". 1 of those referees could be the race director running the software. These people would watch for "cheaters" cutting corners. We would then have a "penalty" for people who cut corners. 2 marshalls might be able to cover a larger area if we are only looking for people who need to be flipped over. It might cut down the marshalling duties by 60% or more. I know at our track, most of my time marshalling is getting people off the pipes.
3. This could reduce you to having to marshall only once a day instead of each round. I think drivers would like that.

I don't race nitro so maybe marshalling those longer races is not an issue. I do always hear people complaining that they need a "pit guy" and there is always a shortage when people have to marshall as well. I have seen marshalls leave their post to go do a re-fuel. That doesn't seem right.

Regardless, I may be on crack with this whole thing but I just thought it might be something worth discussing since changing the length of races would impact more that just adding the fun of getting to race longer.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #217
Tech Legend

I really like 5 minute racing more than 20 minute ....
Hopefully we can have both though....

Maybe even consider it is time to add a couple minutes from 5 to 7 ...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #218
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

That is another valid point about nitro hogging all the track time. I race a 6 to 7 minute race in electric, then get stuck marshalling a 20 to 30 minute nitro race? No thanks. We all pay the same race entry, so lets have the same race time. Time for ROAR to at least act like they care about electric offroad.
AndyH5212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #219
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to xsxracing

I hope they will let lipo in
Old 10-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #220
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsxracing View Post
I hope they will let lipo in
So do I.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 AM   #221
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Why are you guys complaining about turn marshaling? At the tracks I have urn on if you don't marshall then you don't race. If you dont like racing for 5 minutes and marshalling for 20 then stop running 6cell packs w/ brushed motors. The easiest way to get people to start running li//bl is with 2wd truck because you can run them with the nitros. Once you get a large enough crowd you can switch to an all li//bl class. Then once you start fielding 20 or so trucks you can start trying to promote 2wd buggy or 4wd buggy as a second class. The more concentrated the crowd is the easier it is to get a class started.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #222
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Things are so different between individulal tracks that its hard to compare. Its probably just the difference between the haves and the have nots.

Some tracks are huge and have 50-100 entries every weekend and have no issues with turn marshalls. But there are a lot of small tracks that are lucky to get 20 people so they have to depend upon volunteer turn marshalls to get through the race day.

I think jumping to 20 minute mains would be a mistake. But I dont see any reason (even with NiMh and Brused Motors) why mains havent been extended to at least 7 minutes. I think 10 minute electric mains would be just right.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #223
Tech Addict

Our track runs 6 minute electric mains. Electric and nitro races are always run on different days so no worries about getting 'stuck' marshalling the noisy ones.
If we ever had some sort of electric 'enduro' class as they had at the Nats this year I agree that it would be unfair to require someone running a conventional class to marshal for 20 minutes. The best way to eliminate this would be to (hopefully) have enough entries in the 'enduro' class to run two heats. Then they could marshal each other.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #224
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
I think jumping to 20 minute mains would be a mistake. But I dont see any reason (even with NiMh and Brused Motors) why mains havent been extended to at least 7 minutes. I think 10 minute electric mains would be just right.
These are my feelings exactly. We are currently running 7 minute electric mains at the local track and it is great. I think 10 minutes would be better IF it is doable with a variety of battery arrangements (4200 NiMh or lipo). There was talk about doing a 15 minute or 20 minute main for BL/Lipo, but splitting up existing classes to add another is just not a good idea at this time. Currently, NiMh/LiPo and Brushed/BL are running together in most off road classes locally at the club level and I have not heard of any problems (i.e. everyone is having a boatload of fun). I'm not sure what they will do yet for the big Midwest race in January though.
RodneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #225
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer19 View Post
"20 minutes races and all sound like great fun but who the hell wants to marshall them?? My track can't even get people off their asses for a 5 minute race let alone 20. I would not want to stand out there for 20 minutes, that's for sure. Has anyone got a solution to this issue?"

How true!
Make the A main
chrlie sidebite is offline   Reply With Quote