Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #196
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch P. View Post
I came of like a Jerk.
Why yes you did and I'm pretty sure you are. Man I'd never jump in a Nimh thread with that BS. And your apology and followup discussion suck just as much.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #197
Tech Adept

Well I don't see how lipo is more expensive at all. 1 8000 max amps costs I believe betwee 120 and 150 dollars and that is the ONLY battery you need. Plus if your racing stock class or any 5-6 minute race you don't need nearly that much capacity and could run a smaller battery that would cost much less. You'll have to buy a charger and power supply anyway. An astroflight 109 is one of the best lipo chargers and costs 110 new. plus you dont need a discharge tray or any of the maintenance. Some will say that to race you don't need all of that, but I would say to be competetive week after week and keep your cells happy you'd have to have a discharge tray and light bulbs. Now I don't want to seem biased because my stock truck has NIMH batteries and a 27 turn brushed motors just so people like you wont whine about me having an unfair advantage, when the fact of the matter is the lipo is at a voltage disadvantage to a peaked race NIMH.
alexb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #198
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
I have to say with my meager experience that brushless and 4200 NiMH is off the hook! BUT, if it were a 20 minute+ main though yeah lipo would be better! But, we ran a 15 minute main in Hutch and 4200's were plenty, but that was in the stock class, mod would sure be different! The money thing is a big thing though! I just got 3 4200's for a hundred bucks! I dont know of many lipos I could get for a hundred bucks?

Its just My $0.02
The question is - why would you need 3 lipos??? Nimh, I would understand the need. How long do you intend to run those packs before replacing?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:34 PM   #199
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

one 8000 mAh batt will last you a good half hour of running. mroe then enough for races. if you run 5 minute heats and 10 minute mains like at my track, you will be able to do every race on one battery
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:34 PM   #200
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
The question is - why would you need 3 lipos??? Nimh, I would understand the need. How long do you intend to run those packs before replacing?
Actually I have 3 EP 4200 Nimh's that I just bought.. I guess I needed to clarify that.. I have never had to replace any NiMH packs, I actually still have the first 2 packs I ever bought (3300 promatch) and they still work perfectly after 2 years! But I am easy on my stuff...
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #201
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Yes indeed, lipos are definately cool!
1: they are lighter
2: they have killer capacity = more run time
3: they are truly the future of electric

but
1: they are illegal at a lot of tracks
2: require special charging equipment

I would run them if I could! But I live in Kansas... No tracks around that will allow them... Yet...
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:05 PM   #202
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer19 View Post
How can R.O.A.R. make lipo's legal when you have so many different MA's out there? 3300's, 4900's, 8000's, come on it would be a cluster. Its one thing to race at jimmys joe jim bobs racetrack, run what ya brung because he is just trying to make a buck. But at the same time how about some rules about these cells? Just like with the nickle metals make it a some what level field at least say what milamp's you can go up to (Example 4800 is the max) but as with all good things as soon as these get more it to the "mainstream" instead of for the bashers & Craps the voodoo will start & the prices will go up & the life of the cells will go down (Think back to the 1200 red wrap cells or the 1700 black wrap cells).
That's easy, Just advertise those that people use. Have you looked in a plane mag lately, they carry all the cells we used to use. Right now there are cells around that are not used but either were legal or too big in specs. As standardization becomes normal and more RC cars run lipo, There will be less (or more) options
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:46 AM   #203
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Why yes you did and I'm pretty sure you are. Man I'd never jump in a Nimh thread with that BS. And your apology and followup discussion suck just as much.
Wow bro you dont even know me,

im sure you feel good gettin back at a 14 year old, dont ya??

I was just jokin with my buddy Ten, so get over it and stop crying.
Mitch P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #204
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:

I'M not 14 but dont you love it when this happens.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #205
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

yeah i love when crap like this comes up. its intertaining sometimes
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #206
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

I did come off kind of harsh there but after your 2nd post, that didn't look like joking. I'll let it go and apologize. Sorry for the jerk comment.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #207
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Until I heard about the power of Lipo and brushless motors I never really looked at electrics. I was always looking for the fastest .21 I could get my hands on but because of Lipo and brushless motors I'm not going back. I read an article that one of the big battery companies (Sanyo?) has been working on recharging technology that'll allow you to recharge a Lipo in 3 to 5 minutes.

It'll help sales for the companies and that will allow them to spend more on R&D and bring out new / better models sooner (everyone benefits - bashers / racers).

If I look at it another way, the only reason I'm not interested in driving an electric car to work is because it's more expensive, slower and less range. If they can get it up to speed and about the same cost I'd rather drive electric, the torque is awesome and they're smooth. That's what Lipo is doing for the RC world.
R1R 7humbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #208
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

This is why lipo//bl is the future of the hobby. It takes all the frustration out of the hobby for the beginner. Even though people suck at driving they will still have a car that is never under powered and will always charge up and run. There should not be 3 differant motor classes for the same chasis. If people suck at driving then heats will spread the field out and make for some good mains. If you don't believe me then just look at 1/8th scale nitro. If you are running touring cars and you can tell a differance in power between pack x and pack y while running a motor that puts out a kw of power on an indoor track then odds are spending $200 on a pack instead of $100 will not be an issue since you would now be spending $120 on 4 packs instead of $40 on 4 packs. Second your pack will last you for 2 years. I believe that all electrics should be run on 2s lipo and capacity should not be of concern. If indoor consisted of 40 people showing up and running two classes, lipo//bl pan cars & li//bl tc you would have 40 car fields and always field a full track even on slow days. Then, electric off road would be the best of both worlds. You could run 3 classes with out too much work. Not to mention you would be able to run in 20 minute mains instead of triple mains so you would have a much faster race day. Think about if you were able to spend your 5 minutes before your heats taking in laps w/out a concern instead of just standing there waiting for the heat to start. Li//Bl just makes for an easier day for your average level enthusiast.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #209
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
The good old days of brushed motors and nickel batteries are coming to an end and propaganda from "badass" sponsored stock racers can no longer create the FUD that is needed to hold the technology back. Game over.
Amen!
AndyH5212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #210
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

20 minutes races and all sound like great fun but who the hell wants to marshall them?? My track can't even get people off their asses for a 5 minute race let alone 20. I would not want to stand out there for 20 minutes, that's for sure. Has anyone got a solution to this issue?
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote