R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default the best deal

you should be able to find the ss novak system for about 110 to 130 usd that's what I paid for them. i also got the mamba 7700 system used for 150. I've seen it for as low as 145

hope this helps
sambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:33 AM   #32
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
Just wondering.? Do you use the Mamba with or with out the computer.?
I have done it both ways many times. I dont always have the computer with me. The beep and click programming for me is no more difficult then programming on the Novak. And there are more adjustments. But that said I mostly use the computer. THis guy says that he ALWAYS has a lap top with him, so no issue here.
Quote:
I have the Mamba, 7700 & 5700.
Would you recommend the Mamba with out a computer on hand.?
Yes I would.
Quote:
You had better have one on hand to dial in the dead band. The hesitation on the bottom end sucks. They will stall on power coming out of turns and even if you fix all the short falls, when rolling back words you have to wait for the timing to catch up before it will throttle forward.
One reason I prefer the sensor systems.
This is one thing I continue to hear form racers (BTW I am one also for 30 years) who will not grasp that things change and you need a new line of thinking to work with these brushless motors. They behave differentially and need to be treated that way. It is not that they 'will' have these problems you speak of it is they 'can'. I have never had a situation that this could not be take care of. With either programming, gearing, battery, wiring, , motor, or some kind of fix. I dont know haw many times I have done this for people. It can be done.
Quote:
From the sound of this guys post, I felt he would be better off with some thing more user friendly. Simple profiles and easy to set.
If this guy can operate his computer then he can run a Mamba. He is not going to be racing which is where 98% of what you are complaining about is at. Simple profiles that are very limited in their scope.
Quote:
Mamba may just be the Bashers best friend?. And would use it for many types of racing as well, mainly oval or as you point out high out put racing. Yet the GTB is more user friendly.
And a racers best friend. I dont find the Novak's (and LRP lets complain equally) limitations to be friendly. They are limiting.
Quote:
I'm no stranger to Castle I race with a couple of there employees and they have helped me out with profiles and so on. One of them is a good friend and not to mention I live just a few miles from Castle, if I had a warranty.? I could just walk in the front door and deal with it. They have great customer service.
Good. I have been a Castle friend since before the release of the Mamba 25. I get to do a lot of beta and production testing, can you say Mamba Monster Max. I also test for Schulze, BK, MGM Compro, Align, and a few others. I run nothing else but brushless and have for over 7 years. I used to modify airplane esc's to work with cars. Novak also has very good customer service. I have used their exchange program several times. I have only had to do this once with the Mamba. I have 2 Novak's and 7 Mamba's.
Quote:
The GTB is a simple plug and play. With the Mamba.? Shorten the wires and eliminate all the connections. (HARD WIRE). It may be great for a one motor basher but its a hassle when changing motors.
First this is a joke right? I mean the Novak motors have solder tabs on them. If that is not hard wiring then what is? I do not nor have I ever nor do I recommend doing what you speak of. I have read the posts from those that say this fixes all problems, like a magic elixir from a voodoo man. All of my systems, even my solder tabbed Novak's have Schulze connectors on them. I mod the Novak motors so they are pluggable. Because having to solder wires is such a hassle anywhere.
Quote:
I like Mamba I just don't recommend it as highly as you. There both good to there purpose.
I really cant argue when it comes to bashing but if you ever want to race it have a GTB. It covers all the areas in one ESC. My preferred ESC is the GTB.
Like I said I race. Have for almost 20 years. I prefeer my Mambas most of the time. However sometimes I will use the Novak. On very slick no grip tracks the low power Novak works great.
Quote:
Hopefully he will let us know which one he gets. If he can find either for that amount.
Look I like both. They are both well made and work very good. But there are few that have run brushless like I have. Chris Fine bring the only other one that I know personally. I have a deep understanding of what is going on in there and this gives me an advantage with them. I love to play with thousands of settings and configurations to see what happens.

BTW Buy only very good nimh batteries if you have to run nimh. If you dont the Mamba will rurin them in short order by over discharging them too quickly.
RURC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #33
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Dang I thought I was long winded. You sure do like you Mamba.
How do I get stuck promoting for some one I don't even get paid.
I'm trying not to be to bias but the Novak is just one that I prefer.
And I'm just trying to let the guy know what I've been threw with them. The Mambas cause Gray hair,or baldness.
The deal with rolling back wards you have gotten rid of.?
The guys at my tracks need to get with you. As you can imagine around here, I'm surrounded by Mambas.
I put in a solid 6 hours + trying to get rid of that.

And the Novak can be run with a plug and comes with out the plug, Mamba recommends no plugs and comes with the plugs..
Mamba tried to make a plug and play and easier than a Novak right out of the box. They just need a better plug, and off on switch.
These features are what I bought mine for and I had to get rid of them all and hard wire. And that switch is a joke.
Thats what I meant about plug and play the Novaks are better.

I agree that programs change every day and they are always updating.
And they are getting all the glitches worked out. I do like the fact you can change the program and not the speedo. It will have its advantages as the future progresses.
And the dead band lag is near to gone on mine thanks to Crash.

The beeps at the out door track just don't work for me, its to noisy and irritating. A definite must to have a computer handy. Much more favorable when programming. Out doors the computer get ants and dirt in it.
In door carpet would be better.
The Novak has the right throttle response for dirt racing.
I bought my Mamba for all the right reasons. I just been running in the dirt, and its to much like a fully stretched rubber band that you just let go.
The Novak is like a rubber band you have to stretch out and is better for dirt.
At least at the track I race at.
Foam carpet...???????? we'll see this winter. I need 4 wheel traction.

The Mamba can take the heat thats for sure. With out a fan.
Yet I'm sticking with the Novaks for now, with the sintered rotor its just been no head aches no worries and just run the heck out of them. A lot less tweaking.
For bashing the Mamba I will agree. Its better. But the Novak is more versatile and simple.
Any hoot I'm out, cause I like them both I just prefer Novak.
I have an LRP to and its waiting to be sent for service.
I'm going to try the hacker system next.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #34
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Maybe the Hacker system can pry Novak from my RC Kits.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Quote:
Maybe the Hacker system can pry Novak from my RC Kits.

First let me ba clear I am not on Castles pay roll. They have tried but I am not moving to Kansas. Been there done that. I test for many companies but in general I dont get paied from Castle. Yes I do get product from them but I have paid for a lot also.

Right now with all the controllers out for cars, I have 10 different brands I think that there are 2 I do not have, but those are cheap China esc's the castle works the best overall. I really like the schulze and the BK and the MGM esc's also. But the Mamba is a ton more user friendly.

I really dont know if Castle says not to use plugs but if they do I dont understand. I use 6mm Schulze connectors on everything. They are good for 200+ amps continous. I melt deans and Power Poles so they are not good to me. I mod my Novak motors to take plugs.

Yes the beeps can be difficult at the track. But I always bring my laptop to the track. I have to have it to track my battery testing so I may as well use it for the esc. The switch is junk. But I have not broken one yet. But I see it in the future.

I think that if the person is computer illeterate and new to the hobby then the Novak is the best deal for them. But this guy is not a newbe.

I have the Hacker. They stopped production for a reason. Out of the 5 I had 1 still works. They just die. If you do not want a Mamba get a BK or MGM. THe Schulze is very expensive and the Quark is over priced.
RURC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #36
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I have had good luck with my Mambas. no cogging issues, and I have it set so its soft on the initial punch but doesn't have that turbo boost issue I hear about on the 18th scale unit. Makes controlling a 2wd vehicle quite easy.

Since its used in an AE vehicle, I use the manual configuration, no issues. I would like to use the dataport like I did in my Academy SBV2, but, I don't want to cut my chassis (should make it come top down).

All in all, for the money, its a good system. After comparing how it ran against another guys GTB, i didn't feel the extra $50 - $70 for the GTB setup was worth it or I would have bought it.

Not having a fan is nice too.