R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RURC View Post
The problem with the Novak purchase is the rather limited motor choices. The Novak motors are around $100 each.
Novak Motors are in the $80 range, the same as any other race quality brushless....atleast with the novak xbr system, he can get any brushed motor also, since it has no brushed limit on 6-cells. and since its just for bashing im pretty sure the 8.5 is enough motor to have a bunch of fun, even in the streets!
Old 08-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnelli97 View Post
does anybody know anything about this type of brushless ESC? http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-BRUSHLESS-ESC...QQcmdZViewItem
It says it's rated at 30A but doesn't say anything about wattage. Thanks for the help.
Yes the Mamba has NO BRUSHED LIMIT

Now on the 30 amp controller. I have not used that one. But I would have to say that it will most likely burn up in a 1/10 car. YOu really need a 60 amp controller min for a car.

Also on you watts question .............. amps * volts = watts

so do the math.
RURC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake S View Post
Novak Motors are in the $80 range, the same as any other race quality brushless....atleast with the novak xbr system, he can get any brushed motor also, since it has no brushed limit on 6-cells. and since its just for bashing im pretty sure the 8.5 is enough motor to have a bunch of fun, even in the streets!
I have seen them from $79 to $114. I thought that averaged to about $100. I was unaware that the XBR did the brushed motors. However this dose not change the premise of my statement. I am talking about brushless motors, the added benefit of being able to use brushed is just icing on the cake. With the Novak you have 13 brushless total motors to choose from and even less with the XBR because it wont run the high line motors as I understand it. If he goes with the Mamba he has a choice of thousands of brushless motors not 13 at best. Also the Novak is limited to 7 cells (unless he goes for the HV which is out of his price range by a ton) where with the Mamba he can run 15 cell nixx and or 5 cell lipo ( I run 6 cell lipo in mine regularity). Then you couple this to the programmability of the Mamba and you have a Novak crusher. I have the Novak and Mamba as well as 5 other brands of car controllers. I know them very well.

Last edited by RURC; 08-05-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I would say, save your money get the GTB. Purchase it separate or as a system.

You can run brushed with it or brushless.
With the Mamba you have to have a computer to set the profiles. (Sucks)
Unless indoors.

Save your money, trade your stuff, sell the kids and rent out the wife.

What ever it takes get the GTB, or the XBR.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have a gtb myself, and it aint bad. though, the programin was tricky at first, and using brushed mode is goofy looking. oh well.
Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

what do you mean goofy looking?
parnelli97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
I would say, save your money get the GTB. Purchase it separate or as a system.

You can run brushed with it or brushless.
With the Mamba you have to have a computer to set the profiles. (Sucks)
Unless indoors.

Save your money, trade your stuff, sell the kids and rent out the wife.

What ever it takes get the GTB, or the XBR.
The Mamba with a Feiago 380 is cheaper then the GTB not to mention that the Mamba has way more power

The Mamba will run brushed and brushless also. a computer is not necessary. You can program it deeper with a computer but you can program more stuff on the Mamba with the beeps and clicks then all the programming that the Novak can. You can program the Mamba as with the Mamba 25. A.lso the Mamba is user upgradeable through downloads from Castle Creations. With the Novak to upgrade you have to buy another.

What ever it take get the Mamba. It is a better controller that is a ton more versatile. It is capable of more then 2 times the power output and you can run a lot more voltage. This gives you even more control over the type of performance you want.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Hmm

What BL motor will perform like a tuned 27t stock motor besides the ovak 13.5?
dynamic_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'd try to buy new if I were you. From my own personal experiance, buying someones used electronics is a gamble. I've bought used in the past, and had nothing but problems, I had to send then in after finding out there were issues in the first place. Right now the cheapest BL system is the Novak XBR at Tower from $180, and I believe there is another $20 off this month as well. $160 is a little more than $75, but spending $85 more is worth saving up for.
I do also run Mamba's and a GTB. All will serve there purpose well, but since you only need it for bashing around the XBR is more than enough power.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Can a mamba ESC run a novak motor? I'm not really interested in running brushless racing anyway. I don't race yet, I just bash, and want to go FAST. Racing is too expensive right now. Before I can race I have to buy a personal transponder, buy a FASST, or Spektrum radio, and that's just so far out of my budget right now I can't even dream about it yet. Maybe 2 years or so down the line when I'm out of college then I can race. I think my choice is a mamba ESC with a brushed motor for now, and later upgrade to a brushless motor, but my thread has gone way off topic. This wasn't supposed to be a pissing match between novak and mamba systems, I just wanted to know the cheapest way to get into it. like maybe a Chinese knock off ESC and motor setup somewhere, something that will just go fast. Doesn't have to have programmable brakes, and curves, just pure brute speed.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #26
Tech Master

Yes it can run a novak, My bud uses a 13.5 novak on his mamba, It does have a little studdering sometimes but once it is moving it runs well. Castle is working on a software upgrade to run the novak and any other sensored motor. But better yet once Tekin get their sensorless motors out, I think mamba users will use tekin anyway, I plan to.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #27
Tech Adept

My personal opinion so far is mamba is so much better, it can run unlimited brushed motors or BL, it can run it's own, along with novak's motors, so I fail to see the positive side of novak ESC's. Also I have my laptop with me 24-7 so computer programming it is a cinch, but back to the point, has anyone ever used any of these Chinese, or Korean made ESC's for brushless or brushed for that matter.
My interest is in ESC's like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Brushless-Mo...QQcmdZViewItem
would this ESC be good enough to run any brushed motor, because by the math, this could handle a 400 or so watt draw motor. Thats a pretty quick motor. And for around $30 thats CHEAP! Thats the kind of stuff I want to know about.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RURC View Post
The Mamba with a Feiago 380 is cheaper then the GTB not to mention that the Mamba has way more power

The Mamba will run brushed and brushless also. a computer is not necessary. You can program it deeper with a computer but you can program more stuff on the Mamba with the beeps and clicks then all the programming that the Novak can. You can program the Mamba as with the Mamba 25. A.lso the Mamba is user upgradeable through downloads from Castle Creations. With the Novak to upgrade you have to buy another.

What ever it take get the Mamba. It is a better controller that is a ton more versatile. It is capable of more then 2 times the power output and you can run a lot more voltage. This gives you even more control over the type of performance you want.
Just wondering.? Do you use the Mamba with or with out the computer.?

I have the Mamba, 7700 & 5700.
Would you recommend the Mamba with out a computer on hand.?
You had better have one on hand to dial in the dead band. The hesitation on the bottom end sucks. They will stall on power coming out of turns and even if you fix all the short falls, when rolling back words you have to wait for the timing to catch up before it will throttle forward.
One reason I prefer the sensor systems.
From the sound of this guys post, I felt he would be better off with some thing more user friendly. Simple profiles and easy to set.

Mamba may just be the Bashers best friend?. And would use it for many types of racing as well, mainly oval or as you point out high out put racing. Yet the GTB is more user friendly.

I'm no stranger to Castle I race with a couple of there employees and they have helped me out with profiles and so on. One of them is a good friend and not to mention I live just a few miles from Castle, if I had a warranty.? I could just walk in the front door and deal with it. They have great customer service.

The GTB is a simple plug and play. With the Mamba.? Shorten the wires and eliminate all the connections. (HARD WIRE). It may be great for a one motor basher but its a hassle when changing motors.
I like Mamba I just don't recommend it as highly as you. There both good to there purpose.
I really cant argue when it comes to bashing but if you ever want to race it have a GTB. It covers all the areas in one ESC. My preferred ESC is the GTB.

Hopefully he will let us know which one he gets. If he can find either for that amount.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #29
Tech Master

I use these types in my EP plane (20amp), and Trex Heli (35amp). I had a Supervee BL boat that had a (45amp) of this type to. Honestly I dont know if a 60 amp would be enough in a R/C car, the loads can be quite high at times. Another thing is that these cheap little ESC's do not have great proportional smothness.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #30
Tech Master

I use my mamba for drive train tests with a 11.1v maxamps lipo, So far I've toasted my diff in a XXXCR this weekend. But I was probably doing 50mph with it, and she never thermalled once.
The GTB stays in my sedan so that I can race with it without any headaches, I'd never try 11.1v on it since the electronics would probably fry.