R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-06-2007, 05:52 AM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TechWun Send a message via MSN to TechWun Send a message via Yahoo to TechWun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfwdude View Post
Actually, when you pay with a credit card at a restaurant or store or whatever, the amount purchased is put on 'hold' on that card. Your funds are merely verified to be in your account.
No withdrawal from your account from the retailer is made until they run thier credit card batch software, which is usually at the end of the day, depending on the store.

I'm thinking AE is putting the full price of the kit on hold through their site (which we all know they suck at maintaining), then manually changing the price to the sale price when actually processing the order.

Still no excuse, it's not the right way to do things at all.
Correct, but at least in those situations that hold is in the amount you owe and not some magical figure someone imagined up. The example of the gas pump is the only other one I can think of where a 'safety' amount is held prior to sale. everything else is actual. Or at least I think so, but I'm not always Mr. Right and I'm open to learn something new if ya have it.

- Matt
Old 08-06-2007, 06:13 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cheesecake

they can do a pre authorization hold and can hold that money for up to 5 days then if they dont either claim the amount or they charge it you can get it back.
cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWun View Post
Warning != Rant

And I have questioned several banks in my area about the overdraft fees and none of them come in under 30 bucks a hit. This information is a few years old but they were banks like PNC, National City, etc. Not small chains or stand alone banks. It is also common knowledge (and recently acknowledged in a news article) that banks usually slip the overdraft protection under your nose when you sign up for your checking account without ever mentioning the consequences of your overdrafts OR the option to refuse the protection.

The CR account you mention is not part of the issue and was never even mentioned.

- Matt
What do you consider overdraft protection then? In my eyes you are not being protected if you are being charged the full amount. Unless the customer isnt paying attention, every bank gives them a form, and a disclosure booklet at each account opening.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWun View Post
Correct, but at least in those situations that hold is in the amount you owe and not some magical figure someone imagined up. The example of the gas pump is the only other one I can think of where a 'safety' amount is held prior to sale. everything else is actual. Or at least I think so, but I'm not always Mr. Right and I'm open to learn something new if ya have it.

- Matt
Enterprise Rental Car also pre-authorizes a significant sum (over the expected rental amount) at the time of rental. (They tell you they are going to do that, so it is no secret.)

I believe Hertz and Avis do that too but it has been a long time since I rented from them and don't remember for sure.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #20
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P View Post
It's like that on anything. If you CC to "pay at the pump". It charges like $100 (depending on station) to cover the $75 you will pump. Then they work out the real price. It probably isn't AE. It's the card user they have chosen.

i am always authorized for exactly 1$ when i pay at the pump. never more, good thing as i sometimes dont have 100.00 in my checking account.
hated1racing is offline   Reply With Quote