Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Too many classes...  what to do, what to do... >

Too many classes... what to do, what to do...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many classes... what to do, what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Too many classes... what to do, what to do...

There was a comment in another thread about adding another class... which was quickly responded to by "great, another class..... " Rather than start the conversation and have it buried in that thread, I thought I'd start a new one because this is an issue that tracks have to deal with.

The local track I race at has too many classes running. Well, maybe not too many, but not enough people to support every class. We had 8 heats. Here's a list of the classes and the number in each (estimated because I don't know the exact number).
1) 4wd - 6
2) Truggies - 4
3) Mod Truck - 5
4) Monster Truck 5
5) Monster Truck 4
6) 1/8th 5
7) 1/8th 4
8) Stock truck 5

Yeah, there were people that ran more than one class so I'd say we had about 25 racers. A couple people left who were running 1/8th so we ended up having just one 1/8th scale main. But with that many people turning out, which I think is pretty good, only the monster truck class had a B main. Half the fun of racing is qualifying and if you're only qualifying for WHERE you start in the A, it can get boring. I know everyone has different tastes in what they drive but the racing is always more fun when there's three or four heats of racers trying to qualify for the A main.
I know a lot of tracks are combining stock and mod truck and making an "open" truck class which I support but that can intimidate new racers jumping in... I would just like to know what other tracks are doing about this. We don't even have a 2wd, mini, or who knows what else is racing out there at other tracks. We also have an issue with electric 1/8ths running with the nitro cars. The best lap times are the same but it just so happens the person with an electric eight is just a better driver... but of course we're getting complaints about whether or not its fair to include them.. I know, that could be an entirely different thread. What are track owners doing about all of the classes diluting the heats? What classes are you combining? Do you split nitro racing days and electric racing days? How do you keep a noobie from buying a 1/16th Trinity Blade and expecting to race it? hear what I'm saying? Wow.. long first post.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scott54
There was a comment in another thread about adding another class... which was quickly responded to by "great, another class..... " Rather than start the conversation and have it buried in that thread, I thought I'd start a new one because this is an issue that tracks have to deal with.

The local track I race at has too many classes running. Well, maybe not too many, but not enough people to support every class. We had 8 heats. Here's a list of the classes and the number in each (estimated because I don't know the exact number).
1) 4wd - 6
2) Truggies - 4
3) Mod Truck - 5
4) Monster Truck 5
5) Monster Truck 4
6) 1/8th 5
7) 1/8th 4
8) Stock truck 5

Yeah, there were people that ran more than one class so I'd say we had about 25 racers. A couple people left who were running 1/8th so we ended up having just one 1/8th scale main. But with that many people turning out, which I think is pretty good, only the monster truck class had a B main. Half the fun of racing is qualifying and if you're only qualifying for WHERE you start in the A, it can get boring. I know everyone has different tastes in what they drive but the racing is always more fun when there's three or four heats of racers trying to qualify for the A main.
I know a lot of tracks are combining stock and mod truck and making an "open" truck class which I support but that can intimidate new racers jumping in... I would just like to know what other tracks are doing about this. We don't even have a 2wd, mini, or who knows what else is racing out there at other tracks. We also have an issue with electric 1/8ths running with the nitro cars. The best lap times are the same but it just so happens the person with an electric eight is just a better driver... but of course we're getting complaints about whether or not its fair to include them.. I know, that could be an entirely different thread. What are track owners doing about all of the classes diluting the heats? What classes are you combining? Do you split nitro racing days and electric racing days? How do you keep a noobie from buying a 1/16th Trinity Blade and expecting to race it? hear what I'm saying? Wow.. long first post.
I say divide the days of racing. Electric on one day and nitro the next or the next. I've seen race days all through the week for one track. Seems like that would work fr your local track.
About the electric 8ight-If the guy drives better than he drives better, don't go blaming the car. Wussies...
Old 07-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Dividing the days of racing really in my opinion wouldnt help turnout from Nitro and Electric, the only time dividing the race days is when theres almost TOO much turnout not when there's not enough. The only thing that would happen with two race days is more time dedicated(and $$$ to run a race program) for the same amount of people.

I agree that there might be too many classes out there, but what are you REALLY gonna do about it? People are going to run what they want to run and thats just the way it is. Not everyone is going to want to run modified(the beginners have to start somewhere), and the hardcore modified guys think stock is boring(i know i think stock is boring now that i've been running modified for a while).

The only classes i would get rid of are the 19T classes on days where there's a class already for stock and modified. IMO 19t is for the people that think stock is boring but dont want to <ahem> "grow a pair" and run modified.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'd like to see stock become the new novice and just have an open truck class. Run what ya brung and go have fun. I see no point in the stock class other than at a race where say there's some big name guys who are basically guaranteed the win. They don't run stock so it leaves the rest of the guys something to win. But on club days I see no reason to separate the truck and buggy class other than for beginners.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

You just have to get enough balls to lay down the law and decide what classes will be run at your track. If your track is someplace people want to race at, then they will buy the right cars to run in the availiable classes.

If you track is not very desireable to race at or the current racers just don't take racing serious at all, then you will have to take the lemons that show up and make lemonade.

it depends on who controls the track, the owner or the racers. If the racers control the track, your in bad shape.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

My local track used to run on separate days. Once they went to one day only, the crowd picked up. And we have converted some of the hardcore nitro guys to electric 10th scale. We also run the open truck and buggy classes run what you brung. We also have a novice class for the newbies. Our 10th scale mod truck has usually about the same turnout as 8th scale. Now if we could get the nitro heads to except the brushless 8th scales we would be all set.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Our problem is as I stated in the other thread too many classes for too few racers. We run a novice class which is the best thing to help the hobby grow along with stock buggy, 19t truck and 4wd we will have 15-20 racers. Since most of us run two classes, there's not many racers but we kept trying. The gas which has 3 classes have about 30-40 drivers most which are the 1/8th buggies.

We will run anything, it just takes 3 to run a class.

The only answer I can come up with is "I don't know".
Old 07-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It should be;

novis = stock( or any new commer vehicle doesn't mater)
electric monster
You could combine novis and electric monster
open truck
open 2wd
open 4wd
monster (Revo, Lst, Tmaxx, Savage, MGT)
1/8th buggy open (nitro/electric)
truggy open (nitro/electric)

Last edited by badassrevo; 07-24-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

For electric:

Kill off stock class OR 19T class. Stock is anything but stock and chock full of sandbaggers and dirty tricks to boot. 19T is ok I guess but we only really need one or the other.

There should be one Spec type class for novices with some kind of points system in place to bump the sandbaggers up to Mod.

So basically, one spec class and open mod class for 2wd, 4wd and Truck (like it used to be).

None of these junior and master classes. It's toy car racing for bowling trophies..I think this spans the whole age range.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think this is one of the main issues hurting RC racing in all of it's forms today.
I believe if we limit the classes to 3 or 4 classes at the most we will see a good upturn in the numbers racing. It will also create more intense competition which will make everyone faster and better at what they race.
On road has to be the worst for too many classes but off road is catching up fast.
In Europe they tend to run only a few classes and they are very strong and have been for a number of years now.
If people don't like the classes on offer they can go and race some where else or even just bash.
Racing is racing and shouldn't include all the cars that were not designed for racing.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

on-road racing is different and does not really apply here, in on-road you can use one chassis and run different classes simply by changing the motor. In off-road, with exception to running stock and modified classes, you pretty much need a seperate car for each class.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by badassrevo
It should be;

novis = stock
electric monster
You could combine novis and electric monster
open truck
open 2wd
open 4wd
monster (Revo, Lst, Tmaxx, Savage, MGT)
1/8th buggy open (nitro/electric)
truggy open (nitro/electric)
I like this. It allows for brushless/lipo to evolve smoothly and combines classes that shouldn't be separated. And the novice class is a great way to bring the rookies in. And to keep people from sandbagging and dominating the novice class, I would recommend half price entry for that class and no payouts for that class (they do gift cert. equal to race fees at our track).
Old 07-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Lately I've been wondering if it might actually be better to have more classes but less qualifiers because the phenomenom of all of these new classes is only going to get worse.

I don't see anything wrong only running 2 or even just 1 qualifier for regular club races. Especially if everybody has practically already made the A Main anyhow. That would save a lot of time.

Whats the point of running 3 qualifiers if there are only 6 entries?

If people want to run more, they can always show up earlier and practice.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

If I only got one qual and a main I would sell all my stuff and get into dirtbikes again. You can't simulate racing with practice. It's just not the same unless you're being timed and actually have something to shoot for. Even if there is only 6 cars you can still TQ.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

2 qualifiers and a main is the most likely solution. Especially when you're trying to keep the race day from taking up the entire day. And since electric races are only getting longer. I remember when A mains were 4 minutes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.