R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-28-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to stickman310
Default Alternative to stock B4 A-Arms?

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has come across an alternative to the stock B4 A-Arms, because I'm sick of mine breaking.
If alloy ones work then what companies make them?

Thanks
stickman310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Try these guys, http://www.dynotech-racing.com/
They can make you a set of derlin a arms.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Under what circumstances are you breaking the arms? Are you using the plastic or the carbon arms?
B4Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to encore75

Yeah Racing makes some alloy arms for the B4:

http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/in...Path=29_52_173
Old 07-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Anytime you do aluminum one part another part in plastic will break. For example if you do aluminum arms it break the bulkhead. Be careful.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4Bandit View Post
Under what circumstances are you breaking the arms? Are you using the plastic or the carbon arms?
Just mainly when the car lands on a bad angle off a jump at my track. Sometimes I stack it real bad and it does have of rolls and I don't break anything, but other times I just do a normal just and land just slightly off or hit something and it just breaks

encore the yeahracing site doesn't have prices. Do you know how much they are normally?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

What class are you running, and how are you driving the jumps? By that I mean, are you going all out over them, or are you trying to stay as low to the ground and not really fly over them? Is this an issue for other drivers as well at your track?

I fully agree that both the T4 and B4 A-arms need some beefing up. But till you can find a suitable replacement, we need to keep in mind what the capabilities are of these vehicles, especially on tracks designed for 1/8 scale buggies.

I have found that when I would try to really push the vehicle over some of the harder and higher jumps, I would:

1. Break something
2. Flip and need to be marshalled
3. lose time as you don't accelerate in mid air

I don't pull a grandma and drive over every jump, but some of them, discretion is the better part of valor and I only go off of them as much as I need to.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Lightbulb sukky

the jumps at the track where Stickman and myself race are mainly small, then when doing a bit of work they decided to throw in this set of tripples,the way they are designed is just crap.take off and landing ramp angles are just wrong,but because it was one of the fast guys that built it,they wont change it.

ive seen a BJ4 break an arm evey race at a meeting on that jump

thats one reason i was still raceing my old T2 and had put my B4 away for a bit.the T2 has RPM arms etc so its pretty tough.

unfortunately ive had to shelf the T2 for a while until i can get some parts.
Piss on holden
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to encore75

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman310 View Post
encore the yeah racing site doesn't have prices. Do you know how much they are normally?

I'm not aware of a distributor for Yeah Racing here in the U.S. or in AUS. For the most part, I've seen them on eBay from retailers such as Stellamodels or RCMart. I'm sure a search on eBay will bring up a lot of hits.

I'm not really a fan of alloy suspension parts, but if you do go alloy, I'd suggest you go all out and get the whole front clip in alloy -- front bulkhead, hinge pin brace, hinge pin bulk mount, etc. -- because like XXXCRRacer said, when you go alloy you just tend to break something else that's plastic/graphite. Also, if you bend the alloy parts, they tend to stay bent. I also don't know what the extra weight up front will do to the B4's balance, as it sure doesn't need any extra weight up there.

But I do feel your pain about the somewhat fragile front arms. I wish RPM would find a way to make some for the B4 (that aren't too flexible). I'd gladly trade off a little flexibility and finish the race instead of worrying about having a race cut short because the arms decided to break at the most inopportune moment.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:15 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore75 View Post
But I do feel your pain about the somewhat fragile front arms. I wish RPM would find a way to make some for the B4 (that aren't too flexible). I'd gladly trade off a little flexibility and finish the race instead of worrying about having a race cut short because the arms decided to break at the most inopportune moment.
Agreed. They always break at the WORST times for me.
I emailed RPM a couple of days ago and they said that they aren't exactly planning on making any arms for the B4 anytime soon.
If I was going to get alloy arms I don't think I would be able to afford to go all out. Alloy parts are so much more expensive than plastic, I'm just not sure if it would be worth it.

Oh and I think I've broken both composite and graphite arms already but mostly plastic because thats what the car came with.
Does anyone know which seems to be stronger? Stock composite or graphite arms?

Last edited by stickman310; 07-29-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:38 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That jump must be wicked to break parts like that. Ouch. Like Cain mentioned, I'd seriously consider rolling that to keep from crashing and breaking stuff. Rolling slow is faster than crashing and/or breaking......

Not sure if the graphite or regular plastic arms are stronger, but the regular ones are a few bucks cheaper. If you are breaking stuff that often, I'd go cheap and stock up..........

I don't run any graphite stuff on my B4 or T4 simply because of the cost. I know I could't tell any difference in handling.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

i believe the plastic is more forgiving , sometimes i boil em , most of the time i dont , and make sure your servo saver is set up right , meaning not to tight with no play , ray
ray3619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #13
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Based on the info, your best bet is to roll over them instead of trying to take them on if angles are all wrong.

Once people see you doing that, others may thing its a good idea and do it as well. Eventually, they may even change the jumps because of it.

At some point though, you have to make a choice between finishing the race of clearing that jump.

The plastic arms will give more in a crash, and hence are more durable than the graphite ones. Graphite is more rigid and will give the vehicle a more direct feel, but are not forgiving on impact.

If it really gets bad, you could always slap on an RPM front bumper, even if as a joke, people will get the point about that jump, especially if you run the really big one.