R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
This just in. Throw one of these in and your right back at faster than stock.

Its the new sintered rotor.

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/rotors/index.html
Having a larger rotor doesn't necessarily make you faster, it's a tuning thing. If having a larger magnet (stronger field) made you faster, then Core Stocks would have been the hot ticket and/or everyone would be racing Mambas.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #17
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake S View Post
its an SS PRO, so it already comes with a sintered rotor, and since its not officially released yet, it probably comes with the new upgrade rotor.
The new tuning rotor is not offered in the Velociti or SS Pro motors. The motors will continue to feature the original sintered rotors.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

One more thought on the future of stock BL:

I really hope the big boys (Novak, LRP, Orion, etc...) decide to have a pow wow in the near future and iron out a plan to make 13.5 a true spec class in 2008. 13.5 customers should buy their motors based on customer service, brand loyalty, tuning options, construction, etc... and not based on one 13.5 being a little faster on the straightaway than another.

I don't want to start a ROAR bashfest, but ROAR directors have intimated on rctech that motor tuners need to get a piece of the action before 13.5 gains acceptance and that scares the hell out of me. Next thing you know, we'll have to buy $100 "spec'd" hand-out 13.5's at the nats. I don't want to see stock BL turn into what stock brushed has become.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #19
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
I don't want to start a ROAR bashfest, but ROAR directors have intimated on rctech that motor tuners need to get a piece of the action before 13.5 gains acceptance and that scares the hell out of me. Next thing you know, we'll have to buy $100 "spec'd" hand-out 13.5's at the nats. I don't want to see stock BL turn into what stock brushed has become.
One marketing mistake (I believe) made by other motor companies when announcing their 13.5T motors was to claim that theirs were "faster and better" than the Novak 13.5T motors. They also said "why bother?" offering a 13.5T if it wasn't faster & better than the Novak.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
One marketing mistake (I believe) made by other motor companies when announcing their 13.5T motors was to claim that theirs were "faster and better" than the Novak 13.5T motors. They also said "why bother?" offering a 13.5T if it wasn't faster & better than the Novak.
+1

So how do we move forward from here? I have a Novak 13.5 and an LRP 13.5 on backorder at the LHS and I'm going to give them the pepsi challenge, but I don't have the knowledge or the equipment to provide anything other than how they "feel" on the track so it's up to BL companies to figure this out before someone else does. (I don't know if it's even legal for BL companies to have those kinds of discussions so I might be putting my foot in my mouth.)
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
+1

So how do we move forward from here? I have a Novak 13.5 and an LRP 13.5 on backorder at the LHS and I'm going to give them the pepsi challenge, but I don't have the knowledge or the equipment to provide anything other than how they "feel" on the track so it's up to BL companies to figure this out before someone else does. (I don't know if it's even legal for BL companies to have those kinds of discussions so I might be putting my foot in my mouth.)
This is going to end up like the stock motor days in the early nineties, when the cans were still sealed. You ended up buying a new one every couple of Months because they were advancing in performance that fast.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

ROAR (or somebody) should make a spec design for a 13.5 class that has no wiggle room so everyone that puts out a 13.5 will put out the same motor. If there are tricks or variances for the motor companies to manipulate then it's not "stock" anymore, like brushed stock has always been. This would be simpler if clubs and sanctioning bodies would approve 13.5 BL for stock WITH brushed stock. If brushed stockers can't be competitive as they are then they can simply go away. Stock can get back to being stock with brushless.

Stock is supposed to be the entry level class and everywhere it is still raced it is anything but stock.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:40 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
ROAR (or somebody) should make a spec design for a 13.5 class
+1, I agree.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:46 PM   #24
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Having a larger rotor doesn't necessarily make you faster, it's a tuning thing. If having a larger magnet (stronger field) made you faster, then Core Stocks would have been the hot ticket and/or everyone would be racing Mambas.
I heard that before.
We went from standard bonded rotors that were in the 13.5 and running dead even with the stocks. Then they threw in the sintered and it was the end of that.
Now they once again have a stock in the same scenario.
I do agree with what you say. Except now we have 2 stock versions to choose from. If this one is slower it wont sell either way sintered or not.
It may not make you a faster driver. But none the less a faster motor or rotor is just faster. Driving always comes second.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
I heard that before.
We went from standard bonded rotors that were in the 13.5 and running dead even with the stocks. Then they threw in the sintered and it was the end of that.
Now they once again have a stock in the same scenario.
I do agree with what you say. Except now we have 2 stock versions to choose from. If this one is slower it wont sell either way sintered or not.
It may not make you a faster driver. But none the less a faster motor or rotor is just faster. Driving always comes second.
You say you agree with me, but apparently that's because you don't understand what I'm saying.

A larger magnet -- or a stronger magnet -- isn't necessarily "faster". I know it doesn't seem like it out here on the interweb, but you can have too much of a good thing. It can actually make less power. It could have more torque and less RPM with less acceleration. It is heavier and it has more drag.

It's pretty funny how people's minds work on here...if they would have just announced a smaller one than the standard sintered, everyone would be saying the SAME thing...LOL...and it really can't be "faster" both ways.

It's a tuning option. That's it. Maybe you can figure out how to squeak out a tenth or two...maybe you go a tenth or two slower. Maybe it fits with the available gearing in your car, maybe it doesn't.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #26
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At this rate, the 18.5 Crawler motor will become stock...
AEoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEoffroader View Post
At this rate, the 18.5 Crawler motor will become stock...
LOL...the brushed guys would still complain that it was still unfair.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
You say you agree with me, but apparently that's because you don't understand what I'm saying.

A larger magnet -- or a stronger magnet -- isn't necessarily "faster". I know it doesn't seem like it out here on the interweb, but you can have too much of a good thing. It can actually make less power. It could have more torque and less RPM with less acceleration. It is heavier and it has more drag.

It's pretty funny how people's minds work on here...if they would have just announced a smaller one than the standard sintered, everyone would be saying the SAME thing...LOL...and it really can't be "faster" both ways.

It's a tuning option. That's it. Maybe you can figure out how to squeak out a tenth or two...maybe you go a tenth or two slower. Maybe it fits with the available gearing in your car, maybe it doesn't.
Actually I understood you perfectly clear.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote