R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself
Default LRP v7.1 Digital ESC Problems

I have it in my Losi and wired to a Trinity Speed Gems 12t motor. I think the ESC may be bad or the brushes might be getting stuck on the comm. The ESC basically runs when it wants to or so it seems.
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

if you try shaking your car of if you try to spin the wheels to rotate the motor, and it works then it's probably the brushes, try to cut your comm, clean your motor and your brush hoods and get new brushes you should be up and running again no problems.
imel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by imel24 View Post
if you try shaking your car of if you try to spin the wheels to rotate the motor, and it works then it's probably the brushes, try to cut your comm, clean your motor and your brush hoods and get new brushes you should be up and running again no problems.
How would I go about cleaning the brush hoods?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to T. Mertz

When your having these problems, there could be something binding in the brush hood which isnt letting the brushes have a good connection against the commutator. Just take your motor out, endbell off and take the washers off each side of the motor shaft. Then you cut the motor, clean that up, then you can spray some motor spray in the motor can towards the bearing, also in the endbell where the brush hoods are. Before you put the motor in, just make sure there isnt anything in the brush hood that could be causing your problem, and get some new brushes in there. Sometimes there can be solder that might have gotten in there. Make sure you put the washers back on both ends of the motor shaft and dont forget to re-oil the bearings. You should break in your motor for about 2 or 3 minutes. This should solve your problem, if not try re-setting your speed-control. Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Mertz View Post
When your having these problems, there could be something binding in the brush hood which isnt letting the brushes have a good connection against the commutator. Just take your motor out, endbell off and take the washers off each side of the motor shaft. Then you cut the motor, clean that up, then you can spray some motor spray in the motor can towards the bearing, also in the endbell where the brush hoods are. Before you put the motor in, just make sure there isnt anything in the brush hood that could be causing your problem, and get some new brushes in there. Sometimes there can be solder that might have gotten in there. Make sure you put the washers back on both ends of the motor shaft and dont forget to re-oil the bearings. You should break in your motor for about 2 or 3 minutes. This should solve your problem, if not try re-setting your speed-control. Hope this helps.
I can't really just cut my motor but I will see what I can do. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:20 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to T. Mertz

Yeah i thought that you were maybe racing at a track where almost everyone has a motor lathe.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Mertz View Post
Yeah i thought that you were maybe racing at a track where almost everyone has a motor lathe.
No siree.