R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-30-2003, 02:52 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Unhappy Need Some Tuning help

I just finished breaking in my OS .12 CVR engine. I was noticing that the car is a little sluggish and it sounded rich (according to RCCA). So I leaned it out about 1/8th of a turn. (this is after about 6-7 tanks of break in)

I noticed an increase of speed, but almost NO visible smoke is coming out of the tuned pipe. I am concerned that I leaned it out too fast, and too much.

I am new to nitro, and I have yet to get an ear for tuning nitro. Can anyone here tell me what I did, or am doing, wrong?

KevanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 06:06 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

After 6 or seven tanks you should start to lean it out. You may not see a lot of smoke at idle, however you should see smoke at about 1/2 to full throttle. If you have a temp gauge you should read about 200 after about a one minute run.
nitro dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:41 PM   #3
Tech Regular

And if it is under 200 degrees after 1 minute? Is that when it is too lean? Thanks
Old 04-30-2003, 08:38 PM   #4
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

The best temp range for a CVR would be 210-220 degrees. 6 tanks for break in is plenty for that engine, so you can lean it out. The leaner you make it (clockwise on the main needle) the hotter it will get. You need to play with the needles a bit to get a feeling for what they will do, the OS carbs are very high quality, so you dont have to worry about air leaks or anything with them. Once you get it running at around 210, mess with the needles a bit more and see what happens when you do, you should be able to avoid running too lean if you only turn them in 1/4 incriments at most. Good luck with your first nitro!
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 06:46 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Thanks! Now I have to get a temp gauge. I am not comfortable using the "water drop" test to see the temperature, is there any other way to tell temp?.

Is the RadioShack temp gauge a good buy? Or am I better off just getting an "on board" temp guage.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:20 AM   #6
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I have heard the radio shack temp guages are good, raytec sells a ton of them, and if you have the cash exergen is the way to go. The on board temp guages suck, I bought one of them, and compared the readings to my exergen, and it was reading about 40 degrees cooler than the actual temp, no wonder I was getting gobbs of power, I was running way too lean.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 01:29 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

If you only have the one vehicle, then an on board temp gauge would be fine. I have used one for a couple of years and have had no problems. If you put the loop around the bottom two fins on the head, the temps are pretty consistant. I like the gauge because I can just look down at the gauge and see what temp my engine is running at.
nitro dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote