R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #31
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Scott54
Tough one.? You could mix the truck and buggy class, mix the truggies and the 1/8th. Thats really all you can do there. Try it and see what happens. The worst case is go back to how they sign up.
If we are short at our track they just announce they are mixing classes and to look at the sheet. No one ever really gets upset.
We usually get 5 0r six classes. And it takes about 5 to 6 hours to run them.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:09 AM   #32
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott54 View Post
What I'm getting at is that there are too many different classes for the amount of racers we have. At this pace, in a couple years we'll have 25 racers showing up to run 25 different classes and it will take the entire weekend. With the amount of people we have, we should be able to run 2 or 3 qualifiers and have an A,B, and C main for a few classes. But it's not that way. When I first got into racing, in the early 90's, we'd have 25 people show up to run either truck oval, or the onroad cars... I forget what the class was called but it was the 10Ls.... sometimes we'd have a 12th scale class. And we'd have a C main almost every week and it was depressing to only have a B main. I can't wait to have a B main again.... It makes qualifying what it is, qualifying.
WOW.! That would be sweet. 24 marshalls..........
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:29 AM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

yeah, I know. There is no easy way to fix this... Just hoping for some brilliant, outside the box idea to come up. Either way, just have to bring more racers into the hobby. That's the only way to build each class. If they choose a class that's not popular than oh well, maybe that class will be the next big one!
Old 07-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #34
Tech Apprentice

I have always felt this was brought on by people who can not win. They run off and start another class. We're I've been racing your lucky to get six cars in a class. You can forget about "B" mains altogether. Which begs the next question. Why bother with heats? Just run 4 mains.
dougk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #35
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I like the idea of a novice, intermediate class and expert class!!! When I got into rc just over a year ago I bought an rtr and it came with a 19t, the first night at the track I was told I had to run a mod class because I was the only 19t guy there. I almost quit on my first night because I had to either purchase a stock motor or run mod. Now I'm getting better and I want to step up but my track doesn't run a 19t class so I have to go right into mod and race with the likes of 8 or 9 sponsored drivers (one placed 4th in mod truck at hotrod and another placed 6th in mod truck and 7th at mod nats). This is a little intimidating to me!!!
rccrazyindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #36
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

For me personally, I like having as many people in the class as possible to run with, even if the vehicles and power plants are not exactly the same.

Is it not possible to just run 1 class of open electric, and somehow electronically seperate people out by what they had for power type? Do a heat resort, so those guys who were naturally running slower are in the slower section heat, and those guys running faster are in the faster heat.

After all that when you get to the mains, those who ran the fastest would be in the A-main, next tier B main, etc. If you are able to spank the mod guys with a stock motor, I think that even goes a longer way too on bragging rights.

At the end of the day if its really important about who ran what, you can always find out by what they signed up as for powerplant (of course, you need to check and all depending on what kind of race day it is, but in general if its a club thing people are usually honest).

You may want to seperate by vehicle type if necessary, really don't know, but again, to me if you got lower turn out for all classes, you instantly get a bigger class with alot more people in it, and plenty of marshalls to go around.

I enjoy running with others, not just 2 or 3 which always seems to me someone will break and become a two horse show.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:36 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would like to see stock truck and buggy run together in cases where entries are low. Perhaps even mod truck and buggy and 4wd should run together, but I don't think stock and mod should be combined in any way. I think stock is important for a place to start and learn and stock should not have to compete on the same track at the same time as open class. It should not be called "novice" as that has a certain stigma (for people over a certain age)...just call it "stock".

In cases where entries may be low, I do agree with Cain's suggestion. If you run different vehicles at the same time, there needs to be a tangible way to separate out the classes, otherwise someone is going to go home feeling sort of cheated. It would be really nice if the scoring software would be upgraded with such a feature (calling out separate classes running at the same time). At the end of the day qualifying would have more value, there would be a truck winner, a buggy winner, a 4wd winner, and and overall winner. The chance that everyone has to actually race with someone close to them increases. More racers go home happier.

BTW, IMO I don't think there is a place for a separate "19t" class in off road racing. In most cases at the club level a good driver can compete with a 19t in open mod if he wants to run it and a lot of drivers will actually do better with a 19t than a mod. It's going to come down primarily to driver skill. If you are not comfortable racing with the mod guys, that is why there must be a "stock" class. Today's stock is plenty fast to keep most interested until it's time to try mod.
RodneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:57 PM   #38
Tech Apprentice

Yea, I don't get 19 turn. It should be eliminated.
dougk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:14 AM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougk View Post
At are track (SRS) 19t has become the biggest and most competitive class.
It use to be that we had novice 27T, Stock 27T, and mod.

I raced Stock Truck and Buggy for a couple of years , in buggy I could sometimes get a stock motor to run fairly fast , but I could never get a truck motor to run even close to what the fast guys could seem to be able to.

It always looked like they were running 19T motors .

I tried to get the best of everything and nothing help .

It was mainly down the long strait away that they would just fly past me .

Anyway about about two years ago, right after the Cactus me and a couple of my Friends , who were as frustrated as me about getting pulled so badly in truck stock, decided to start running 19T .

And it took off , and the first thing I noticed is that all the guys that use to have the fastest Stock motors , It seemed like every body's motors were the same .
And sometimes people would say that my motor looked really fast.

Anyway since we started running 19T I have never felt like I was getting out motored.

The other thing I like about 19T is that it is enough motor to clear most obstacles , and also it is enough motor that you cant just pin it like stock , so it does teach you to have some throttle control .

And 19T doesn't seem to wear tires hardly any worse than stock.

RC stuff for sale. http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166731

Last edited by *Chrominator*; 07-29-2007 at 02:24 AM.
*Chrominator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:43 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Stock motors in trucks on outdoor tracks is just painfully slow. 19t is good.

Stock motors in trucks on a "electric only" or indoor track is OK.

At a club level, it doesn't matter how many or few classes there are. If everybody likes it, great. Run whatever.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #41
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougk View Post
I think that stock should be eliminated and replaced by 19T. As stated before stock is painfully slow in electric trucks and the fact that you are still using bushings (yuk!). I much prefer the bearing 19T class to the stock class anyday. Here are the classes I would run.

Novice (Open)
19T Electric Truck
19T Buggy
4wd Electric (Open)
1/8 Buggy
1/8 Truggy
Monster Truck

I would let the Electric Classes organize and run what they wanted stock, 19T, or Mod but along as it is one class not two or three. The beginners can start in novice and it probably would be a good idea to have a seperate electric and gas novice class if there are enough entries. The 1/8 Buggy, 1/8 Truggy, and Monster classes can be combined if turnout is low. It would also be a good idea to allow them to run brushless motors too if they want along as they are the approved equivents for the class. Example: 13.5 Novak for stock.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote