R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default RC10T4 or XXX-T? Winter Build

Howdy guys!

I have a Duratrax Evader currently and just use it for bashing. I have been wanting to get into racing these trucks down at the local track here in Wisconsin.

I am also looking for a winter project and I would love to build a Kit truck. Which would be better The Associated RC10T4 or the Losi XXX-T, both are priced close to the same. I think alot of the part for the Evader fit the XXX-T as well, and it would be nice to swap the parts or even scrap the Evader for quick replacement parts if needed. Am I thinking right?

The only thing I don't like about the XXX-T is that my favorite supplier (Tower Hobbies) doesn't sell parts or even the base kit. Is there a vendor with the same great reputation that handles Losi?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Mizgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tyler Hicks

just saying but have you checked the new losi xxx-CRT its a great truck and its pretty much a xxx-t with some upgrdes.

There is only one store or main person who distributes and that would be global hobbies and they distrbute to only little hobby shops in my area.

The T4 is an all around good car i personaly own one and its a great car and the parts are sold every where so it all depends on your preffernce
Old 07-23-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I would visit the track and ask people who have there vehicles handling well to let you try them out.

See which do you like and prefer.

With the Losi, they finally have a newer truck version coming out, so at a minimum go for that if you do losi. I try to stay as current as possible on the kit model I am running.

I think the T4 however is slightly cheaper than the Losi, I have seen it for $199 shipped I believe at ultimate hobbies.

For the T4, you should use the plastic chassis instead of the graphite one. But other than that, its pretty much good to go.

All in all, everyone will have opinions on what they like, personally I can't stand trucks after going back to them several times now, buggies all the way.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

The best choice might be the T4 Team (plastic parts) , its very cheap compared to the Losi, even though I am a Losi guy. Remember that Losi maybe better suited because of how much traction and a more consistent driving style it naturally has, for a beginner racer like yourself. The T4 seems to have more steering, but that may put you in the wall alot of times.
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizgo View Post
I think alot of the part for the Evader fit the XXX-T as well,
uhh.. no. I think the evader is the same as the XXT but not the XXXT. If you're new to racing, see what the fast guys are running at your track. Actually if there's people there willing to help you get going, run what they run and just copy their setup. You can't go wrong with either a t4 or losi. And if you are going to buy a new losi, wait until september and get the new xxxt-cr. it'll be the same price as the MF2 but with a lot of extras.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

FT t4 is the best just buy that and leave it and love it
quakeass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

like the other guy was saying on here.....ae t4 is a decent truck.and the losi is a decent truck...i personally like losi trucks.....i do not like ae shocks due to there suspesion issues and not much set-up to change from...as losi shocks have plenty of set-up choices and there shocks are simple and almost never need re-built....so i would say go to losi...as for the new truck i might not get that due to its new and they might have some glitches to work out.but as for the older stuff i would get it.i drive the mf2 and like it lots...i liked it better then the mf1 i had.....

hope this info helps....

and as for swapping parts...you might be able to swap out some stuff from youre evader to a xxt......but they are not the same trucks and i wouldnt recremend doing so...
morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizgo View Post
Howdy guys!

I have a Duratrax Evader currently and just use it for bashing. I have been wanting to get into racing these trucks down at the local track here in Wisconsin.

I am also looking for a winter project and I would love to build a Kit truck. Which would be better The Associated RC10T4 or the Losi XXX-T, both are priced close to the same. I think alot of the part for the Evader fit the XXX-T as well, and it would be nice to swap the parts or even scrap the Evader for quick replacement parts if needed. Am I thinking right?

The only thing I don't like about the XXX-T is that my favorite supplier (Tower Hobbies) doesn't sell parts or even the base kit. Is there a vendor with the same great reputation that handles Losi?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Horizon Hobby actually OWNS Losi. About the biggest distributor there is. If your local hobby shop can't get Losi stuff they aren't trying very hard.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfishel View Post
Horizon Hobby actually OWNS Losi. About the biggest distributor there is. If your local hobby shop can't get Losi stuff they aren't trying very hard.
They must use Global like Hobby People.
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Choosing between ANY edition XXXT vs. the T4?

FLIP A COIN

You'll do about the same with either one

If it was me i might lean slightly towards AE because they(or at least it seems) are more behind there race equipment at this time than Losi is.
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AxiomJacob

go associated, t4 or b4 there quick.

Proline Racing
AxiomJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You cant go wrong with either truck, the XXXT-CR, or T4. My opinion after owning the XXXCR buggy is that when the XXXT-CR finally comes out people will realize what a hot truck it is. You will be garanteed it will be out 3-4 years and parts should not be hard to find. Any R/C track should stock both. I personally order from losi parts ware house, and buy most of my kits from ultimate hobbies. Tower is pretty good, but ultimate is still usually cheaper.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Since I'm a full blown AE junkie, I can't give you an unbiased opinion so here's what I'd do if I was a noob:

Before you buy the truck, go to the track where you want to race and hang out with the regulars while they're racing. Ask their opinions and hopefully one of the good drivers will offer to help you out. If Brand X driver is sitting in the corner and talking to you is too much of a "thing", go with Brand Y driver's truck who offered to help you out because he can make it dialed quicker than you ever could on your own.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to COLE C B4

I think that the FT T4 would be your best bet. It is a very good truck just like all associated cars. But the new Losi Truck looks pretty good. Im not sure where you live but here are some indoor offroad tracks in wisconsin-

Dirt Heaven, Green Bay, www.dirtheaven.com
Trackside Hobbies, Brookfield, www.trackside.com
Rc Performance Hobbies, Madison, www.rcperformance.com
Old 07-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've had both trucks numerous times and always go back to the T4 .Lots of guys to help and easy to find parts anywhere you go.
Remember tower hobbies doesnt have a track for you to race at! Support your LHS you'll save in the long run.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote