Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How about an Associated RC10-T44?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think 4wd buggies are built to be able to run 20 minutes, they're just to fragile, the only vehicle built to run an abusive 20 minutes is a 1/8 buggy. We get by with the trucks but I pucker up every time I bump someone or tumble a little bit.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sounds like a perfect project for my old tc3. Find a way to put some 1/8 scale buggy arms and longer shocks and it would be bulletprooof.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Budweiser 8ight
As an operator of a local club track, www.altoonaraceway.com , I can safely say that outside of the cost of competing in this hobby.... the single biggest threat to club racing is the fact the there are too many vehicle options thus diluting every race day field into races with only 2 or 3 trucks (the thrill of racing is pretty hard to come by when you only see a competitor every half dozen laps)

This threat is followed closely by the growing number of racers who either think they are pros or want to be pros and therefore don't attend too many club races.

Club racing is all about getting together with a group of dudes who you compete against every week with similar equipment and trying to beat them to gain personal satisfaction... not to mention bragging rights for the next 7 days.

Here's to fun racing at your local track!

P.S. 1/10th Scale Racing is A-OK.
Nice post from a fellow track owner operator. Although I am interested in 1/10 electric truggies I agree that more classes doesn't always help local racing. My only arguement may be that we always fight to get 4wd going in my area. These truggies might be something that would be more appealing. The flip side of that would be they would not be for beginners.
Originally Posted by tcmerf
Sounds like a perfect project for my old tc3. Find a way to put some 1/8 scale buggy arms and longer shocks and it would be bulletprooof.
I'm not sure this would be the way to go. Just as when you put aluminum arms on an electric 1/10 off roader something else (usually herder to fix or more expensive) is likely to break. I think using beefy 1/8 suspension parts would end up doing the same thing.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by alexb2000
I don't think 4wd buggies are built to be able to run 20 minutes, they're just to fragile, the only vehicle built to run an abusive 20 minutes is a 1/8 buggy. We get by with the trucks but I pucker up every time I bump someone or tumble a little bit.
You what now?

I'd happily run any of my 4WD buggies in a 20 minute event. No drama at all.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Metla
You what now?

I'd happily run any of my 4WD buggies in a 20 minute event. No drama at all.
2nd that. I could drive my BJ4 all day. At least until the screws started falling out
Old 10-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm also a race director and the few times we raced 4wd electrics many of the cars fall out in a 6 minute race. You wont get people into the class telling them they have to get all of the initial components just to run the race, and on top of that build a vehicle that spare parts for it are non existant, I'm all for this class but not until somebody makes a kit that you dont need to modify I dont think it should happen. At this moment in time atleast in out area, adding more classes will just kill alot of what we already have by spreading the racers out too thin. I'll be the race director at the new indoor track being built in the charlotte area and before we think about a bunch of these "custom classes" that the only people who would run them woul be the locals we need to build up the truck and buggy classes that are already prominant in other parts of the country and people from other areas can travel too knowing that the classes here will fallow the same set of guidlines as many of the other tracks in the country.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

Thats surely not a normal series of events, Hell, In 4 months of meetings I replaced one part on my Losi, and finished every race.

The Dark Impact I destroyed twice by driving flat stick into a solid object but other then that managed to finish 90 percent of races, Hell, i even dragged her around the last three laps with the back suspension ripped off and her arse dragging along the ground.

Perhaps they need to adjust their driving style.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

Unless of course the track just isn't suited to 4wd electric.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If the track runs 4wd 1/8th scale then its probly more suited for trucks. I believe that 1/10th scale 2wd is a fixture in the hobby, but 4wd truck is no where close to that. If 4wd wants to become a fixuture at tracks that feature 1/8th scales then start running 4wd trucks because the bigger tires, more supspension, and more clearance just handle rough tracks better.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Craps did you or any of your Buddy's ever try ,this Hot Bodies Lightning 10 Stadium Truck for a Brushless/Lipo conversation.
http://www.hotbodiesonline.net/kit.p...=66501&lang=en ?

If so how does it work ?

I just saw that Kyosho has just came out with this 1/10 4wd that looks pretty good.

Check it out.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/carsand...ars/31097B.asp

Last edited by *Chrominator*; 11-05-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I kind of got my conversion going, at least for 1/8 scale buggy. Got tired of the nitro issues that other than them, the class is a blast to run. With an electric 1/8 scale buggy, I am in nirvana.

Now, back on topic (sorry guys for getting off it for a second), I think that if someone would make conversion kits that can be bought and you pick the vehicle sort of like RC Product Designs is doing for 1/8 scale, could be a niche market to start up things. The biggest problem however is deciding what side do you go to as far as chassis templating to make your 4wd truck conversions.

Do you start with the electric 4wd buggies, or do you convert gas 4wd trucks?

It would probably be easier to make conversions for 4wd gas trucks, sell them, you buy the gear, and whammo, you are in business. Heck for awhile there the Academy RT4GP Pro Spec truck was $100 at ultimatehobbies. I think that still right now for the electric side the Academy SBV2s would be the easiest to convert.

Assuming a conversion runs around what it does for 1/8 scale, but for those without a center diff could be cheaper, I would say you could see the following prices:

Vehicle: $150 - $220
ESC & Motor Combo: $170 - $230
Lipo: $90 - $130
Conversion: $50 - $125 (vehicle changes dependent)

I think that would be about it, of course, you would need your own radio gear, servo, etc. But this would be assuming you have that already going from a conversion perspective. So you would spend about: $460 - $705 . Now, with this setup you can run the 20+ minute mains, not have a warchest of NiMH batteries, and not have to work on motors all the time.

I know this would be suspect to a basher, because the biggest thing you are fighting against is comparison to a RTR 1/8 scale buggy unfortunately or truggy (can get some nice race level ones RTR for $500ish)

That I think is the biggest holdback right now. Comparison to a 1/8 scale buggy. If I can run on the 1/8 scale track for about the same price or less than a converted 1/10 scale 4wd truck with a 1/8 scale buggy rtr, why would I go with the conversion. Its easy to compare the benefits over the costs of 1/8 Ebuggy to 1/8 nitro buggy, but 1/10 4wd truck is a different bear.

As for me, after trying 2wd stadium again and now having 1/8 scale buggy electric, it will take a lot for me to go back to the 1/10 scale class (if there was a group of guys who would do it, I would, but it would need to be a core group). I also know if I worked with MRC and they were kind enough to help me persue an electric 4wd stadium truck, I would only be able to run it with truggies, and after having caught one of these in the face this past month, can only imagine one of those coming down on my truck.

I think you are on the right track Craps, but it will take reports of this actually being done before guys give it a go, even more so than 1/8 scale brushless setups since your vehicle would create a whole new class.

As for the whole ESC Selection thing, to each his own, I really like my Mamba Max units I have had, but other than the whole fan issue on the Novaks, they are really great too. I just hope that each company (and LRP too) keeps pushing each other as competition keeps things improving.

That Kyosho looks nice other than the truck body. To me at least seems it needs to be more form fitting.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Well, because of this thread, I checked out how some parts will fit using a BJ4WE and T4 a-arms.

An Associated based 4WD 1/10 scale truck can possibly be made by using a BJ4 kit. I own a BJ4WE, T4, and B4, and sometimes when my LHS runs out of BJ4 arms, I have to use B4 arms. Well, the T4 arms also fit the same way on the BJ4 bulkheads. Also, the BJ4 front steering knuckle will fit the front T4 a-arm too. Steering and camber links are never a problem, they just have to be measured.

There are only two things I am not sure about since I have not put it together. That is if the T4 shocks would work, and what cvd axle shafts would work (T4?).

If I have some time this week or weekend, I will put it together minus the camber links, and see if the T4 shocks and axle shafts will work.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If you guys are looking for a second class to run on a 1/10th scale track then why not just run those kyosho 1/16th scales. You can actualy make them bullet proof and on a 1/10th scale track they should perform fine. Not to mention w/ an average discharge of like 10 amps you can run your 30 minute mains w/ like a 2100 mah lipo.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by party_wagon
If you guys are looking for a second class to run on a 1/10th scale track then why not just run those kyosho 1/16th scales. You can actually make them bullet proof and on a 1/10th scale track they should perform fine. Not to mention w/ an average discharge of like 10 amps you can run your 30 minute mains w/ like a 2100 mah lipo.
The reason I don't like any thing smaller than 1/10, is it's to hard to see when driving and to work on.
I guess that's because I'm old and I can't see good any more.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I know this thread is getting a bit old now but i am about to do my own T44 project, i have a B44 chassis as a platform and am after anyones experiences with doing this.

I am thinking, T4 front and rear arms, GT2 rear bones for the front and rear driveshafts, B44 rear cva axles on the front ( to keep the wheels standard axle pin design ) T4 front and rear shocks, Will custom lengthen the chassis about an inch or so, will custom fabricate body mounts to fit a T4 body, will also custom raise the shock towers to accomodate the longer shocks, from the measurements i have made these parts should bolt up, a little bit of custom fitting is required but it shouldnt be a big problem, if anyone has attempted to do this and had a drama please let me know, i am going to be researching a bit more still but any comments you have please share them, cost isnt really an object, i just want to complete the project into a true AE T44, not a buggy with truck wheels.