R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2007, 10:00 PM   #46
Tech Adept
 
utahrcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 235
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

so what is wrong if someone makes one?? IF YOU DON'T WANT ONE DON'T BUY ONE!!! Why knock down a new idea everything else is 4wd...... kinda makes sence! I bet another 5 years and basically everything we buy in RC will be 4WD.
__________________
brushless MLST
utahrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:02 AM   #47
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mt. Holly, NC
Posts: 1,181
Default

Looks like a great thread with the one exception of an idiot who thinks he knows some racers who went to the ROAR 1/8th Scale Buggy Nats and don't like Electric.

I raced at the ROAR Electric Nats in Albuquerque, NM and I am entered for the ROAR Gas Truck Nats in Charlotte, NC. I am one of those that would love to see an Electric 4wd 1/10th scale Stadium Truck!

Like one poster mentioned earlier the Truggies or Unlimited Monster Trucks that are now called Arena Trucks started out as a conversion of an 1/8th scale Buggy until a couple of manufacturers got wise about 2 years ago and start making them! Now look at the number of Truggies out there!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:09 AM   #48
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mt. Holly, NC
Posts: 1,181
Default

The majority of new and moderately experienced racers want:
1. Tracks with big jumps and that are fast.
2. Durable cars/trucks/buggies that can survive hard crashes and keep going.
3. They want 4wd to make it easy to drive. Face 2wd is just too hard for alot racers.
4. They want maintence free and no tuning hassles that is where brushless electric systems will give them that.
5. They want lots of runtime and now you bring in the li-pos for that.

If 4wd 1/10th scale electric buggies were more durable and could handle big rutted out tracks better, that would be the choice.
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:27 AM   #49
Tech Master
 
eds24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,128
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eds24 Send a message via Yahoo to eds24
Default

Craps I am totally with you on all this. I have looked at just about every eletric R/C car on the market today. A 4wd stadium truck would blow everything away. With them you have the stability and easy driving of a truck yet you have the 4wd of a buggy and you get rid of the weak point of a buggy the ground clearance. This is why I have decided to build my own like others. Craps it is true you can get a 4wd truck for about the same price as a buggy. I was thinking about building and selling 4wd drive trucks. I could put one together that uses pretty much all production parts (except chassis) for about $300.It would be similar to a T44 because most of the parts would be from Associated.Though the problem is. Like others say there is no class for them yet and I am not sure most people would spend $300 on a roller to bash with. Though I would love to make these for people. I do realize you are talking about Mass production though. I think if a company where to take notice and see that alot of people want a 4wd truck then over time it would become a popular class. I don't see why 4wd aren't very popular. Though the class is becoming more popular and hopefully this will bring 4wd trucks into the market. I think they are the perfect vehicle and have tons of potential.I too race on a track ment for 1/8th and monsters. That takes out a 4wd or 2wd buggy. It is also a very loose track which is hard to control 2wd on. 1/8th scale conversions are becomeing more and more popular why not a 4wd truck?
eds24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:44 AM   #50
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds24 View Post
Craps I am totally with you on all this. I have looked at just about every eletric R/C car on the market today. A 4wd stadium truck would blow everything away. With them you have the stability and easy driving of a truck yet you have the 4wd of a buggy and you get rid of the weak point of a buggy the ground clearance. This is why I have decided to build my own like others. Craps it is true you can get a 4wd truck for about the same price as a buggy. I was thinking about building and selling 4wd drive trucks. I could put one together that uses pretty much all production parts (except chassis) for about $300.It would be similar to a T44 because most of the parts would be from Associated.Though the problem is. Like others say there is no class for them yet and I am not sure most people would spend $300 on a roller to bash with. Though I would love to make these for people. I do realize you are talking about Mass production though. I think if a company where to take notice and see that alot of people want a 4wd truck then over time it would become a popular class. I don't see why 4wd aren't very popular. Though the class is becoming more popular and hopefully this will bring 4wd trucks into the market. I think they are the perfect vehicle and have tons of potential.I too race on a track ment for 1/8th and monsters. That takes out a 4wd or 2wd buggy. It is also a very loose track which is hard to control 2wd on. 1/8th scale conversions are becomeing more and more popular why not a 4wd truck?
Exactly. You sound like you race on the same type tracks we do here. It makes perfect sense to us.
scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:36 AM   #51
Tech Master
 
Ed237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dudley PA
Posts: 1,431
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I had a HPI RS4MT and thought it was great. It was incredibly durable. The biggest problem was that without a center diff to tune it wasnt really any better at the track than my T4. There are at least 4 different 1/10 scale 4wd nitro trucks already out there, but there isnt much interest in racing them either. It's the same reason why everybody stopped racing monster trucks and bought truggies.

I think the future for electric 4wd trucks will be in 1/8 scale because the platform has more room to mount batteries and the center diff. I've seen a couple 1/8 conversions now and they just might be the best of both worlds.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:16 AM   #52
Tech Adept
 
utahrcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 235
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I gotta say I have seen a few electric 1/8th converstions now and they are freakin nice!!! I think that will be my next car, you can go to youtube and there are several videos, there is one where a brushless 1/8th buggy beats all the nitro's hahahaha
__________________
brushless MLST
utahrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #53
Tech Elite
 
Turbo Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 4,878
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Dunno if this will work an an embed or not....here's the URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7c-ieY_VLc

(edit) Nope, no embed...LOL
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #54
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 29,552
Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)
Default

I have seen the video of the Matrix brushless buggy. I know that is something I would like to do if it was allowed. Maybe next year.

I would say if you guys are serious about it, really speak with Dave G. Who knows, maybe MRC could release a "Conversion" kit that you basically get all the stuff needed for the conversion at a nice price. That helps them out too as it moves parts they have and can help them gauge interest making a 4wd stadium truck.

Considering the motto on the magazines is they basically excel in 4wd (something like we do just devel in it, etc) that would be really cool stuff.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno EB48SL / SCT410.3 | Tekno EB410 x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2 | LC Racing EMB-1 Buggies and Truggies >
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #55
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mt. Holly, NC
Posts: 1,181
Default

The only problem with 1/8th scale conversions it takes twice the number of batteries needed, bigger more expensive ESCs and motors, the maintence cost more and the tires are more expensive compared to using the used 1/10th scale tires from 2wd and the 1/8th scales have a problem eating expensive servos fairly often unlike the 1/10th scale using the same servo for long a time. 1/8th scale buggy don't have enough room under the body to do alot either as far as cooling and batteries needed.

1/10th scale truggy will work just perfectly with 1 2S li-po battery, a regular Novak GTB ESC with either a 4.5 or 5.5 motor that I already use in my 2wd.
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #56
Tech Elite
 
badassrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Roaming Shores, Ohio
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

We need to convince JConcepts to use the BJ4 platform and build a truck since Associated will now be mass producing the B44.
__________________
Doug Lightcap

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #57
Tech Fanatic
 
Scrubb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
The only problem with 1/8th scale conversions it takes twice the number of batteries needed, bigger more expensive ESCs and motors, the maintence cost more and the tires are more expensive compared to using the used 1/10th scale tires from 2wd and the 1/8th scales have a problem eating expensive servos fairly often unlike the 1/10th scale using the same servo for long a time. 1/8th scale buggy don't have enough room under the body to do alot either as far as cooling and batteries needed.

1/10th scale truggy will work just perfectly with 1 2S li-po battery, a regular Novak GTB ESC with either a 4.5 or 5.5 motor that I already use in my 2wd.
Yeah but you only need to buy those LIPO batteries once, remember, you've argued about it enough. Most just use the mamba max speed controls, the cheapest of the brushless speed controls and 1/8th tires are made out of harder compounds that last longer than 1/10th tires. Most of the time 1/8th scalers blow the throttle servo (which wouldn't be needed on an electric truggy) and there is plenty of room and airflow under a 1/8th truggy body.

If money was the real issue, you would just run 2wd, its always cheaper than 4wd.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #58
Tech Master
 
Ed237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dudley PA
Posts: 1,431
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

If you guys are really that curious what a 1/10 4wd stadium truck can really do, do yourselves a favor and get one of the many currently poorly selling nitro 4wd kits out there, drop a nasty .18 OS in it, and take it to the track for some practice and then decide if you still feel like electric 4wd is the future. It will give you a clue as to how they would really perform. If you still like it that much, do a little research and convert it, and post back with some pics.

I've driven a hopped up HPI MT2 and at times, its accelleration rivaled 1/8 Scale, but it doesnt jump or hook up anything like an 1/8 scale can. And it didnt handle the ruts much better than a traditional 2wd truck.

When things are tight, and the track is nearly perfrect, they can outperform anthing, but as the tracks and jumps and ruts get bigger they have the same pitfalls as every other any 1/10 vehicle. And just because you convert to electcric doesnt mean it will create substantially more performance.

If you want to complete with 1/8 scale nitro for the RC market you are going to need to do it with an 1/8 scale type vehicle.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #59
Tech Elite
 
DavidAlford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,151
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford
Default

How many cars held up in the 20 min main at the Roar nats? Yeah....


Electric isn't ready for 20 minute racing. Its just now starting to make a charge back up. No need to add another class and water it down even more....
__________________
Hot Bodies/HPI | Jconcepts | Viper RC | Xpert | Sippel Speed Shop | Lawton RC Raceway | SXT
DavidAlford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #60
Tech Addict
 
fathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Auckland NZ
Posts: 575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
If you guys are really that curious what a 1/10 4wd stadium truck can really do, do yourselves a favor and get one of the many currently poorly selling nitro 4wd kits out there, drop a nasty .18 OS in it, and take it to the track for some practice and then decide if you still feel like electric 4wd is the future. It will give you a clue as to how they would really perform. If you still like it that much, do a little research and convert it, and post back with some pics.

I've driven a hopped up HPI MT2 and at times, its accelleration rivaled 1/8 Scale, but it doesnt jump or hook up anything like an 1/8 scale can. And it didnt handle the ruts much better than a traditional 2wd truck.

When things are tight, and the track is nearly perfrect, they can outperform anthing, but as the tracks and jumps and ruts get bigger they have the same pitfalls as every other any 1/10 vehicle. And just because you convert to electcric doesnt mean it will create substantially more performance.

If you want to complete with 1/8 scale nitro for the RC market you are going to need to do it with an 1/8 scale type vehicle.

I have a HPI MT2 18SS and a HPI electric MT and have raced both, the electric MT walks all over the MT2, it's faster in a straight line, handles better, accelerates better, jumps better.
The only real thing wrong with the electric MT is the drivetrain, it's ok but you have to baby it a bit, especially if it is really bumpy, if you could get the MT2 drivetrain into the electric MT it would be a killer.
__________________
Slavich Design
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KSG Slider, TC4 Touring Car, RC10 T4, RC10 T3, Offroad Tires, all for sale. ToddF R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 12-09-2006 07:53 AM
KSG Slider, RC10 T4, RC10 T3, TC4 Touring, Offroad truck tires, for sale ToddF R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 12-06-2006 11:31 AM
RC10 EDM, RC10 buggies and other stuff... megasaxon R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 06-19-2006 06:10 PM
Rc10 B4 mike_Webb R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 10-28-2003 03:27 PM
rc10 dual sport or old rc10 roller wanted Keyz28 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 10-09-2002 06:55 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:57 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net