R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default brushless off road

hey all:Have been looking at some off road electric race pics recently and have a few questions.First are all off road electric mod. class drivers using brushless if their motor company sponsor offers it?Second will this trend continue and every electric motor company will at some point offer a brushless motor and evey off road mod. racer will use them?Next are brushless motors becoming like full size suvs have in that some companies are offering brushless motors now that have never offered an electric motor in the past? Finally will brushless motors be the norm for stock and 19t off road racing at some point as well?Thanks for the info
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Brushless and LiPo are what got me back into the hobby after being out for about 10 years or so. I will never have brushed motors in my cars ever again! To the point I won't even go to a race if I can't run brushless (and almost that way for LiPo now too).
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

That's a lot of questions that can't be answered with certainty. Only the manufacturers and the sanctioning bodies would know for sure:

1. No, most mod class pros do not use brushless. There is a new class that runs 20 minute mains. They use brushless and LiPo because they wouldn't last 20 minutes without it.
2. BL is growing at a torrid pace and motors/controllers are becoming very programmable. I would think that every company will make them and every racer will use them at some point.
3. New companies are popping up that offer BL. Old companies are developing BL systems too. That's the trend. Just smart business.
4. I think BL will be all that is left, so yes, stock and 19t classes are likely to be brushless...some day.
happywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Brushless and lipo got me back into the electric scene.
I have been running nitro since 1991 and always thought the electric cars were toys.
Last winter I bought a Losi XXXT MF2 and a Tamiya TRF 501x set them both up with brushless and lipo. It has changed my whole out look on electric power. I have dropped nitro all together and even built a brushless lipo Losi 8ight.
Let the revolution begin!

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I add this in to the other answers:

There is still some good resistance to running brushless with stock or 19T classes. I agree that the technology is different and that at comptetion levels or club point series they shouldn't be allowed unless an agreement is reached with drivers that they should be. Its only fair to the drivers in those classes.

However, I can see brushed motors eventually going fully away in the spec classes if the industry standardizes on a certain type of motor (like a 13.5 type) as being stock and something else being the equivalent 19T.

At a club level, you could just do it yourself with your other racers, agree on a sensored and sensorless type of motors to allow as a max and go from there for your spec class.

After doing brushless with a mamba max previously in my T4 and SB V2 Pro, tried going back to brushed motors, but there is no comparison, I won't do that again and is why I picked up another brushless Mamba max setup.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I say the same thing as johnnyboy. Plus, I only own LiPo.
BobWoodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

I agree with most of the other posters here.

The change from Ni-Cads to Nickel Metal Hydride is one of the major reasons I stopped racing.

The switch over to Lithium Polymer and Brushless is what got me started again.
pf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I will never run a brushed motor again either... .unless the rules demand it. Now for stock class, I see a problem because I haven't found another brushless motor that's listed as "equivalent to stock" other than Novak's 13.5 ... and if it is, who's going to govern this, and how do you keep people honest? One trend I've seen, a couple local tracks that allow the brushless 13.5 in stock are also allowing bearings in their stock motors to keep it fair. But for the record, I've seen faster laps ran with a brushed motor.

But with so many new classes I think a lot of tracks are just going to eliminate the stock class all together and just run an open truck class. It used to be more expensive to run the mod class but now it's actually cheaper than stock because you don't need to buy the best batteries and have so many of them. LIPO BRUSHLESS REVOLUTION!!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #9
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Don't forget you don't need a lathe, or brushes.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hard to say. I plan on putting a brushless motor in my 4wd next spring when I get it.

But for classes that I still run stock or 19T in, I prefer my brushed motors. I haven't raced a 13.5 brushless motor, but I have raced 10.5's with my 19T and found that I have more speed and punch then they do on our track. Perhaps in on-road they may have an advantage, or a nitro sized off-road track, but on our track, 10.5 brushless motors don't hold any advantage over my EAM 19T Komodo Dragons. Heh

Now when it comes to Mod, if that were the only class I ran in the car, brushless all the way. Otherwise, Epic Shock motors seem to do just fine for me. Sure a 7.5 out pulls me on the straight but, in off-road, it's not just speed, but handling jumps etc.

PB
Tubaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tyler Hicks

brushless clases are sick i think that the change will lead to something like lipo in the mix too
Old 07-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Default brushless

hey all;Thanks for the replys guys very helpfull.One coment i found interesting and that is "i'll only run races that allow brushless and lipo" while many races now allow brushless it's to find many that allow lipo so your racing choices at least for now are limited?All the sanctioning bodies need to come up with standarized rules for both brushless and lipo befor we see them being the norm at most races.Untill then brushed motors and sub-c batteries will live on.
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote