R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #151
Tech Master

as a hardened AE nut and driver, its sad to see losi going the way they are.

Sure they are kicking ass in gas, but some big questions remain....

why are they turning their back on the market they were born out of?

and who is going to design the revolutionary cars that Gil did design?
cantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #152
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82

Gil was a good designer but who designed the Losi 8ight? Was it Gil`s? or Drake and others at Losi? I was never to sure of that... i thought it wasnt Gil... could be wrong. If it wasnt just goes to show they can still design a fast INNOVATIVE car.
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #153
Tech Master

but i bet gil would have been over seeing the project, if someone knows what actually happened they should say.

this is just merely speculation
cantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #154
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJA82 View Post
Gil was a good designer but who designed the Losi 8ight? Was it Gil`s? or Drake and others at Losi? I was never to sure of that... i thought it wasnt Gil... could be wrong. If it wasnt just goes to show they can still design a fast INNOVATIVE car.
Not sure how much of a role he played in it but I watched him drive the pre production car for hours at our local track. That car is all Losi for sure!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #155
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

I believe it was Steenari that had a lot of input on it. A lot of the geometry is based on the XX-4
Old 07-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #156
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJA82 View Post
K_King is right Steenari was pretty much the designer of the car
Old 07-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #157
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have been racing Losi for the past 10 yrs and now race only the Drake2.
I have notice since Horizon took them over there standards have dropped a lot. They want you to spend more on parts (like there oil bottles have stupid large hole so you can waist more) tooling not well maintained and rough.
LOSI is not Losi, not even close thats why Gill left. I think i will be switching over or just race my Hyper 8..
MadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:27 AM   #158
Tech Apprentice

Red face

Why is everyone forgetting the loss of Trinity/Losi poster child Brian Kinwald? Yeah Losi still had world class drivers, yet C'mon! Bring them to the worlds to prove their good. Im just getting back into to RC after an 8 year absence, so if im wrong go easy on me....I remember what I remember... This guy (Kinwald) blew up LOSI, hell he has cars named after him. When he left, it was for a reason...and after that, LOSI took a downfall. When Gill Losi Jr. left....the company died. Sorry.

The best way to compare AE and Losi is like the Soviet Union and the USA. It was an arms race at the time. The Worlds race was when both teams debuted their new baby, if you will. AE had the tub chassis Team car. Then Losi unveiled the Double X. Then came the B2/B3 era. Then the XXX. Thats where Losi stopped....the XXX. Losi 2wd and 4wd electric is going to fade into history. Its sad...I started my Electric racing when there were 5 companys competing in the 2wd electric arena.

(not in order)

1. Team Losi Jrx2 Pro (molded chassis)
2. Team Associated RC10 Team Car (aluminum)
3. Traxxas TRX-1 (B2 Bomber body) same canopy as the B2 bomber! Bush took notes! HAHA!
4. Kyosho Triumph (double deck graphite)
5. Shumacher Something Cat? (Aluminum chassis)

I remember in a Car Action special mag....a guy won the stock NATS with the TRX-1. Dont remember his name...Tim Vellow or something like that...

Anyways Traxxas was on the brink of getting competitive in 2wd, yet they didnt sell despite winning a big race. I still own a TRX-1 with a flat graphite chassis. Then they were done with competitive 2wd, because they went gas and basher style.....Losi is next.

Like I said...just from memory...with college, the malted hops and bong water has hazed my memory.....lol....

Anyways...I agree with most people here...Gas is the new thing.

I just wish we could bring the arms race back with Team Losi...they need to be here...its in their blood.... I like Kyosho, yet they normally went with a double deck style chassis, and their new buggy looks sweet. However, it looks so much like a XXX had its way with a B4....and had a child........

Its funny though...AE did the same thing with their first molded chassis! Copy the Double X!

Its a viscous cycle....I just want to choose from 5+ cars...not just from a few.

IMHO...there is two cars to race either Losi or AE...take your pick. Kyosho was always an innovater, yet they may be the next Big Daddy in 2wd electric off road. Time will tell....

btw...I dont use spell check so sorry for the bad spelling....
NoEffects6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:42 AM   #159
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEffects6 View Post
Why is everyone forgetting the loss of Trinity/Losi poster child Brian Kinwald? Yeah Losi still had world class drivers, yet C'mon! Bring them to the worlds to prove their good. Im just getting back into to RC after an 8 year absence, so if im wrong go easy on me....I remember what I remember... This guy (Kinwald) blew up LOSI, hell he has cars named after him. When he left, it was for a reason...and after that, LOSI took a downfall. When Gill Losi Jr. left....the company died. Sorry.

The best way to compare AE and Losi is like the Soviet Union and the USA. It was an arms race at the time. The Worlds race was when both teams debuted their new baby, if you will. AE had the tub chassis Team car. Then Losi unveiled the Double X. Then came the B2/B3 era. Then the XXX. Thats where Losi stopped....the XXX. Losi 2wd and 4wd electric is going to fade into history. Its sad...I started my Electric racing when there were 5 companys competing in the 2wd electric arena.

(not in order)

1. Team Losi Jrx2 Pro (molded chassis)
2. Team Associated RC10 Team Car (aluminum)
3. Traxxas TRX-1 (B2 Bomber body) same canopy as the B2 bomber! Bush took notes! HAHA!
4. Kyosho Triumph (double deck graphite)
5. Shumacher Something Cat? (Aluminum chassis)

I remember in a Car Action special mag....a guy won the stock NATS with the TRX-1. Dont remember his name...Tim Vellow or something like that...

Anyways Traxxas was on the brink of getting competitive in 2wd, yet they didnt sell despite winning a big race. I still own a TRX-1 with a flat graphite chassis. Then they were done with competitive 2wd, because they went gas and basher style.....Losi is next.

Like I said...just from memory...with college, the malted hops and bong water has hazed my memory.....lol....

Anyways...I agree with most people here...Gas is the new thing.

I just wish we could bring the arms race back with Team Losi...they need to be here...its in their blood.... I like Kyosho, yet they normally went with a double deck style chassis, and their new buggy looks sweet. However, it looks so much like a XXX had its way with a B4....and had a child........

Its funny though...AE did the same thing with their first molded chassis! Copy the Double X!

Its a viscous cycle....I just want to choose from 5+ cars...not just from a few.

IMHO...there is two cars to race either Losi or AE...take your pick. Kyosho was always an innovater, yet they may be the next Big Daddy in 2wd electric off road. Time will tell....

btw...I dont use spell check so sorry for the bad spelling....
Kinwald left because he was really sick for a few years and has just recently made his way back to the hobby.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:27 AM   #160
Tech Apprentice

Yes, you are true with his thyroid condition...yet he was still able to be on the Losi/Trinity team. Why would Trinity/Losi drop him for a medical reason? They didn't... he left on his own. He got married and happily ever after.....its hard to buy that. Thats Odd... Now he is racing for a different company. I hear Novak dropped him as well for not attending anymore major races. Bullshit...he was the man. My favorite racer by far...Mr. Brian Kinwald. He is laying low, yet if he went to the 2007 worlds, he would have easily placed in the top three. If not won. Kinwald rules and all teams know that. He's been around AE and Losi...He's a legend.....

I remember my RC10 team car was set up just like his after he won the Worlds in England., with the graphite rear brace, AIR 737 servo and Hydra drive slipper! I miss those days! 2wd Electric used to be the World to me...Hence why the Worlds races are important. I was shattered when I found out Kinwald went to Trinity/Losi. Yet I was his biggest fan. Even bought his Dirtinater 13x2 mod....gave me a year and a half of excellent service... I went through three armatures....badass motor! Then came the Sonic2. Solid motor.... I still run that one over the Kr!

You guys know better than me...like I said, im going off what I remember.

My Dream....Kinwald signs with AE/REEDY for another run at World Champion!

LONG LIVE KINWALD!!!!!
NoEffects6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:50 AM   #161
Tech Regular

http://www.2wdrc.com/news_7_20_07.htm
Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:57 AM   #162
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott54 View Post
everything's on backorder. I don't see any signs of a new design for anything electric. Their focus is on everything except racing. And it's not that we're making drama out of this, it's just a little upsetting to be loyal to a specific company to see them drop their interest in electric racing.
..........guess i wont be buying anything Losi if everything is on backorder...........china must not be able to mold parts fast enough....
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #163
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This certainly has some interesting points. Interesting how teams go through periods of ups and downs. IIRC, both AE and Losi have had periods where their team #s have been down and only a small contingent of racers were sent to different races.

There was an interesting article in Xtreme RC a few months ago regarding Jr, and his involvement with Losi since Horizon took ownership, and his reason for moving to kyosho. Might be worth the read for the full story in HIS words.

Horizon Seems that they have brought in 2 different sets of mgmt and basically, he felt like he wasn't getting the input he once had. Seems like there aren't many people left at Losi from the old guard, IE original staff. Not sure what this means for Losi in the future, but I wish them the best.

MOmo
"Im not a racer, but I play one on the Internet"
MOmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #164
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

i have read most of these things from page 1 and so i am just going to throw this out there......

WHY is everyone whinging that losi didnt send a team to the worlds?

Who cares! They dont want to be a part of it then so be it. Last time I checked, racing was all about the individual winning the title, not a company or a speedo brand..

What is it with the fixation of it being a company's title when it is down to the individual. In real car racing, their is a drivers title and a constructors title like f1 right? The worlds is a drivers title and it seems to me it is a VERY weak excuse that no ther losi guys would go due to the fact that they werent "sending" a team.

Ask all of the losi australia guys who paid for their tickets! and i am guessing a major part of the rest of the field. THEY PAID THEM AND WERE TOTALLY SELF FUNDED as THEY want to win the title for themselves!

Noone gets into racing with the specific aim and saying "yeah one day I dream of winning a world title for BLANK company"

Its a joke that everyone is blaming horizon and/or losi.

if you want a title so bad, do it yourself, noone is going to spoonfeed it to you!
autoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #165
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoset View Post
i have read most of these things from page 1 and so i am just going to throw this out there......

WHY is everyone whinging that losi didnt send a team to the worlds?

Who cares! They dont want to be a part of it then so be it. Last time I checked, racing was all about the individual winning the title, not a company or a speedo brand..

What is it with the fixation of it being a company's title when it is down to the individual. In real car racing, their is a drivers title and a constructors title like f1 right? The worlds is a drivers title and it seems to me it is a VERY weak excuse that no ther losi guys would go due to the fact that they werent "sending" a team.

Ask all of the losi australia guys who paid for their tickets! and i am guessing a major part of the rest of the field. THEY PAID THEM AND WERE TOTALLY SELF FUNDED as THEY want to win the title for themselves!

Noone gets into racing with the specific aim and saying "yeah one day I dream of winning a world title for BLANK company"

Its a joke that everyone is blaming horizon and/or losi.

if you want a title so bad, do it yourself, noone is going to spoonfeed it to you!
I think its because Losi hasn't won many events since the B4 was released and AE signs alot of good drivers. I doubt the Aus guys went on there own money, I'm sure Checkpoint, Orion, Team Kwik, or SOMEONE helped them. Its not cheap.
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote