Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

Default Best 4WD Buggy

I am thinking about going offroad which I have never raced before. Lots of years running onroad mod touring car but our carpet track closed down so the only thing left is offroad. I have about $3500 worth of equipment that I don't want to just let sit there so I am thinking about going offroad and so are some of my racing buddies.

I want to do 4WD because it's the closest to touring car (2 diffs and 4wd) but I want to get opinions on what the best 4WD buggies are that are out there.

I would like to hear about the Losi, Yokomo, and if anyone knows about the new Cyclone 4WD that came out. I would like to hear from someone who races 4wd and possibly has had a kit or two so I can hear some opinions about the differences. Thank you for any information that you might have.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

xx4 is a good option, if you running on rough tracks don't go for the xxx4, although it can be run on rough, the xx4 is superior. as far as the other buggies i couldn't say, but their is another thread about the best 4wd. Oople.com is a great place to find reviews and chatter about 4wd buggies.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I would suggest getting a used 2wd buggy or truck before dropping coin on a wheeler. I think no matter what you choose 4wd, you will have to order most parts online or through a lhs. The only wheelers I have ran are the xx4 and xxx4. I think the xx4 was the better car for most conditions. If you want to keep brand loyal, the D4 HB wheeler is gonna be in the states soon. The bj4 has been the mainstay of late, and most things I have read say jconcepts supports the car very well. I mayself am considering either the x5 or kyosho.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BillyCaldwell
I would suggest getting a used 2wd buggy or truck before dropping coin on a wheeler. I think no matter what you choose 4wd, you will have to order most parts online or through a lhs. The only wheelers I have ran are the xx4 and xxx4. I think the xx4 was the better car for most conditions. If you want to keep brand loyal, the D4 HB wheeler is gonna be in the states soon. The bj4 has been the mainstay of late, and most things I have read say jconcepts supports the car very well. I mayself am considering either the x5 or kyosho.
I was looking at the Kyosho today and it looks sweet. I will have to consider that as well. Keep the opinions and suggestions coming, because like I said, i have run onroad for years and I know nothing about offroad so the posts in here will definitely help me out.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

I've only ran the Academy SBV2 and the xx-4. Me likey xx-4. It hangs with the Kyoshos and BJ4's at my track. I hate having to remove about a gajillion screws to get to anything on it, though.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Does anyone have any news on the Yokomo 4WD? I heard it was good but expensive!

Also, what is the difference on the xx4 and the xxx4?
Old 06-29-2007, 03:04 PM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

xx4 - 3 belts - better on rough tracks
xxx4 - 1 belt- better on smooth tracks

My pick would be XX4
Old 06-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

2 locals got them last week. one was put together and looks sweet. it actually makes sense to take apart lol. havent seen it run yet but its graphite and aluminum and what isnt that is real beefy plastic (a arms) the front also has 1 or 2 degrees kick up too. they paid under 500 for theres but too me thats alot of cheese for an electric
Old 06-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mugenlife
2 locals got them last week. one was put together and looks sweet. it actually makes sense to take apart lol. havent seen it run yet but its graphite and aluminum and what isnt that is real beefy plastic (a arms) the front also has 1 or 2 degrees kick up too. they paid under 500 for theres but too me thats alot of cheese for an electric
What are you talking about.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i believe he is referring to the yokomo, its one of the more expensive 4wd off roads.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

the yokomo... someone snuck in a losi statement when i was typing so rather than quote i just figured some would follow along as it must be apparrent i wasnt talking about a losi
Old 06-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Go th D4 or the Kyosho. Both are super strong and very little maintenace required.

the Losi is a little fragile.

the yokomo and tamiya require constant upkeep of diffs.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

I liked the way my xx4 handled when i had it. its was a pain to work on though. i run a SB V2 now and its easier. But make sure to set the slipper correctly and keep an eye on the diffs til theyre good and broke in. Its a tough car. the kyosho's around here break to much. thats the only experiences i have with 4wd's

Jerry
Old 06-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Its amazing the BJ4-WE hasn't been mentioned... Its only dominated the 4WD racing scene the last couple of years earning it an IFMAR World Championship, 3 ROAR National Titles (2 in Mod and 1 in Stock), and countless other Huge wins!

No doubt it is a 4WD that should be considered if one is serious about Racing
Old 06-30-2007, 02:16 AM
Tech Master

Yea the bj4 is such a great car with plenty of backup in the us.At the moment you can't go past it.the next best option is to buy the bj4D4 well really the same thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.