Wiki Posts
Search

I finally got a 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default I finally got a 4wd

Ive been into off-road racing in Vegas for a while and I finally got a xxx-4 from eBay. Not sure if it is a g+ but either way it works. I was wondering how difficult it is to transfer the electronics into it. The motors for my b3's and xx's are simple but this has that motor plate and cover. Im thinking I should get the manual for it before it arrives.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

everything should fit nice hardest part will be placing the esc i bet (not hard) and then maybe setting the servo right but you do that stuff to every car
Old 07-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Default b

Cool, right now I am running that ghetto ass viper rv11 but I would like to go brushless after a while...
Old 07-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The limiting factor on how the electronics fit will be the size of your speedo and Rx. I run a GM SX12W speedo and KO Rx, both of which are very small and they fit easily. The motor plate is a snap. You just bolt the motor to the plate and the plate rotates when you set your gear mesh. If you run a V-brush motor soldering can be a PITA. As far as which version, it it's the older XXX-4 the rear shocks will be mounted on the front of the shock tower and the front of the A-arms. On the G+ the shock tower is redesigned and the shocks mount on the rear of the tower and the rear of the A-arms. If it's the old one, go ahead and buy the rear tower and go to the G+ configuration, it handles better. I can't remember if the front tower was redesigned for the G+ or not.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Default b

Cool, the reciever is that 3000 Spektrum, what is the difference between xxx4 and g+?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trdsupra88
Cool, the reciever is that 3000 Spektrum, what is the difference between xxx4 and g+?
I just told you. The rear shock tower was redesigned so the upper and lower mounting locations are moved. There may have been a minoor redesign to the front, can't remember. Those are really the only substantial changes. The G+ is also all graphite, where the XXX-4 was composite. The G+ may have been when they went to the heavy duty belt and the Kevlar spur also. I think they also made a longer set of rear shocks for the G+, but I think they came out after the car was released and the kit shocks are teh same as the original version. If you replace the rear shock tower so you can remount the shocks your car will handle just like a G+.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Chris whats up bro. Didnt know you were back to racing.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Tech Regular

Ive been into off-road racing in Vegas for a while and I finally got a xxx-4 from eBay. Not sure if it is a g+ but either way it works. I was wondering how difficult it is to transfer the electronics into it. The motors for my b3's and xx's are simple but this has that motor plate and cover. Im thinking I should get the manual for it before it arrives.
I am also in Vegas and anyone in Vegas knows that the carpet track closed so I am about to do something that I have never done......OFFROAD> I am about to get a losi xxx4 so let me know how it goes.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jerry23
Hey Chris whats up bro. Didnt know you were back to racing.
Me? Where were you 2 weeks ago for the HARC race Mr. "Yeah, I'm gonna race"? Or Mike's a couple weeks before when Kev and Justin showed up to run electric and we had guests in from LA to boot? And I don't want to hear any excuses about Albequerque either. Ha ha ha. I'm doing 1/18 this weekend, Mike's next weekend. Gas truck and one of the flashlights. Maybe a different on eeach round, LOL.

Elboogie, I like my XXX-4 and I'm mostly an AE guy. Figures, it's the car a lot of the Losi drivers don't like. AE also has a new 4wd coming out. Should be a good car, right now the release date is supposed to be Sept. We'll see.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Default b

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1525&rd=1&rd=1

This is the car, it looks like the shocks are mounted in the front...
Old 07-13-2007, 05:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good luck with your XXX-4, I have a G+ and love it. I keep hearing a lot of people saying the XXX-4 is fragile, but I drive the crap out of mine and it's very robust!

Just remember these cars are 4wd so they are a bit heavier, and accelerate faster. So when you hit something you going to hit it faster and harder than you normally would in a 2wd buggy. If your new to 4wd offroad buggies I would start out with a slower motor some where between 27-19T untill you get the hang of it.

I hate when people get a new car, or are just starting out in the hobby and throw the hottest motor in the car ( most of the time it's some crazy brushless setup) and wonder why they are breaking their car!

Like I said though, good luck and have fun with your new Losi.

Jay
Old 07-13-2007, 05:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1525&rd=1&rd=1

This is the car, it looks like the shocks are mounted in the front...
If you want to run the shocks in the rear, your going to need a different wing( among other things already mentioned). The one that comes with the car doesn't have the cut-outs for the shocks. Go to Losi's site to see what I'm talking about, you'll notice the differance right away.

Jay
Old 07-13-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Default sweet

Cool thanks, Ive been running for about ten years now, no racing, ussually outdoor tracks or by myself on a dirtbike track or something so I will be able to handle it more than a beginner hopefully. I will most likely put a stock motor in it till its comfortable. Ill probably be able to trim the wing a bit..been trimming Lexan for a few years now...
Old 07-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Awsome! Glad to hear your going to start out with a "cooler" motor!

Jay
Old 07-13-2007, 08:53 AM
GAB
Tech Initiate

go stock with the right set up the xxx4 can keep up with most 4wd,s that have mod motors drive it right and they are strong they also fly in the air level pic of xxx4 with stock 27 turn
Attached Thumbnails I finally got a 4wd-west-coast-2006-068-medium-.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.