R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Yeah, that's it...blame the stuff that doesn't work because LRP thinks 5v is enough...when everything else runs best at 6v. Good one.

It must be the servo and the receiver that are at fault, because they weren't designed around the LRP, right?
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #17
Tech Legend

Turbo , you must not know , the Lrp Bec is the same as the Novaks ...

No kidding ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Turbo , you must not know , the Lrp Bec is the same as the Novaks ...

No kidding ....
The two LRPs I've had were 5v with pretty low amps...when did they change them?

Just looked...the TC-spec is 5.5/3a now, Novak is 6v/3a, the AI stuff is 5v/no amps listed.

The best one is that they have (or had) a big warning that if you removed the Tamiya plug, you'd void the warranty. I guess that's one way to make sure your stuff holds up.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #19
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
The two LRPs I've had were 5v with pretty low amps...when did they change them?
The 2007`s comp`s have the same bec & voltage output....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #20
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is the sphere comp right? I had similar symptoms and it turned out to be the low voltage cut-off for lipo batts. When I would grab full throttle initially, the battery voltage dropped and the voltage protection would kick in. Then, after warming it up a bit it seemed fine (not sure why. Maybe it would figure out I didn't have a lipo on board)
AEoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #21
D4
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

OK

Problem solved.

I had a total Sphere meltdown on the weekend. The thing litrally melted. Smoke and the smell just reaked. ESC is only 4 weeks old, so I have sent it back under warranty for a replacement.

I am hoping this was just a once off with my ESC

D4
D4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4 View Post
OK

Problem solved.

I had a total Sphere meltdown on the weekend. The thing litrally melted. Smoke and the smell just reaked. ESC is only 4 weeks old, so I have sent it back under warranty for a replacement.

I am hoping this was just a once off with my ESC

D4
D4 - I do hope it is a "once off" and that you do get a quick and complete replacement (no questions asked) which works flawlessly.

Unfortunately for me I wasn't as lucky with the original Sphere. It gave out on me after my first lap on my original BJ4. When I sent it back I waited 3 weeks for some kind of status report on my return.... nothing. I finally called in and the guy there told me the Fets blew somehow?!

Because it was a recent enough purchase they did replace it (after I waited a total of at 5weeks). Well, that brand new replacement at least had a bunch of races on it and I thought like you that maybe it was just a one off that my 1st Sphere died on me... I even ordered the newley released Shere Competition which I received from Tower just before the replacemnt Sphere also gave out!

It was during practice... and it just stopped. No throttle but the steering was fine. When I sent it in they said somehow the polarity was reversed and that voided the warranty!?! How could the polarity have been reversed when the Truck ran fine for at least halfway through a pack?! If I wanted it fixed it would cost me $90.00. I just told them to ship it back to me as is and from then on fully commited to just Novak BL Systems ever since.

In fairness, I still do have my Sphere Competition which has been working fine... but it was insane for LRP to release the Sphere Competiton without the cooling set included?! You had to buy the recommended Fan and recommended Cap separately for an extra $20+. Furthermore, the cooling set was released months and months later than the Sphere Competition itself?! How can you release a product so much later when the User Guide included in your brand new ESC even says it is highly recommened!?!

I have been using Brushless Systems since 2003... from the very early Novak SS-5800 days. I went throught the growing pains with Novak back then and not once did Charlie ever let me down. Every time it I had problems and sent it in it was replaced with no questions asked. Turnaround time was like two weeks. Aside from now having a bunch of GTBs working so well for me... this is where and when Customer Service counts. It is why I highly recommend and tout Novak and why they shine in my book.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

There has been lots of talk on the Sphere and weird problems. I have experienced this and maybe it will help some of us in the future. I thought for sure it was the esc. The red/yellow lights were coming on etc. The car would engage but then stop etc. Just a mess. I have 3 Shpere esc's 2 comp 2007 and 1 Original sphere. It turns out after sending the esc in it was working fine so says LRP. I get it back and it does the same thing. I thought I had trouble shooted everything including buying a new motor, but it turns out after 4 sensor wires, 3 motors, and sending the esc back and forth it was the motor. Also it was the motor that fried all of my esc's due to the solder melting internally because the esc will shut down for protection but the motor won't and must of overheated. So now 4 motors later and waiting for LRP to return my stuff it all works. The frustrating part to all of this i the amount of time and money I have spent to figure this out. So I am going to try the orion motors due to the internal cooling because my 4 wheel eats brushless stuff because it has poor cooling and you can't fir 17 fans and heat sinks in it like a touring car. Just a FYI. check the motor because the LRP NEo series is junk and the one vector I bought was faulty.
On the other hand LRP has been more than helpful and has always repaired my stuff.
Anemic_SluG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:26 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jobo_ph Send a message via Skype™ to jobo_ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemic_SluG View Post
There has been lots of talk on the Sphere and weird problems. I have experienced this and maybe it will help some of us in the future. I thought for sure it was the esc. The red/yellow lights were coming on etc. The car would engage but then stop etc. Just a mess. I have 3 Shpere esc's 2 comp 2007 and 1 Original sphere. It turns out after sending the esc in it was working fine so says LRP. I get it back and it does the same thing. I thought I had trouble shooted everything including buying a new motor, but it turns out after 4 sensor wires, 3 motors, and sending the esc back and forth it was the motor. Also it was the motor that fried all of my esc's due to the solder melting internally because the esc will shut down for protection but the motor won't and must of overheated. So now 4 motors later and waiting for LRP to return my stuff it all works. The frustrating part to all of this i the amount of time and money I have spent to figure this out. So I am going to try the orion motors due to the internal cooling because my 4 wheel eats brushless stuff because it has poor cooling and you can't fir 17 fans and heat sinks in it like a touring car. Just a FYI. check the motor because the LRP NEo series is junk and the one vector I bought was faulty.
On the other hand LRP has been more than helpful and has always repaired my stuff.
Never tried Novak, eh?
Orion/Yuntong/Maxamps Lipo * AMB #6655738
jobo_ph is offline   Reply With Quote