R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to killer89
Default Maxamps Lipo Battery Review

Just figured I'd write a review on a Maxamps lipo battery I bought...

I bought a 2s 6000 mah Lipo battery about a year ago from Maxamps. It seemed okay at first, but after much use, I quickly changed my mind.

My main problem were the wires. The wires are set up such that the 2 wires come out of the battery pack from the side at the front of the pack. This posed a problem because when I put it in a vehicle with a battery tray, the wires were pushed upwards and made the fit very tight. I also tried the battery in other cars where there were no trays. In my 4wd, I could not run the battery with the wires facing out because they wouldn't fit in the body. So I ran them facing in. However, I then had to run the wires straight up again to avoid the driveshaft. By making the wires turn at such an angle, the silicone insulation stretched and one time when I inserted it into my Graphite battery tray on my 2wd buggy, the battery wires shorted due to the insulation being stretched and cut. The battery was done

My other issue was that in the short time running the battery, the cells themselves became quite hammered. The battery cell dividers on the chassis on my 4wd dug into the battery cell and put dents in it. Also, the battery post made a huge dent in the battery with repeated use. This caused the battery to loose some of its capacity.

That being said, if I do ever purchase another lipo in the future, it will definitely be in a hard case, with vertical connectors like the peak and orion versions...
killer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

got pics? in zx5?
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

One of the options on the Max Amps site is: for a little extra you can have the wires come out of the top corner. Which may or may not help you. I just recently got some that way.
cartwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Tech Master

Gymbeam: Yes, a ZX5. Sorry, no pics. I disposed of the battery long ago.

cartwheels: That may be an option now, but it sure didn't exist when I bought it over a year ago.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
Tech Master

I guess I was lucky too. Mine just shorted and quit. I head that someone else had a fire after the same happened to them...
Old 07-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Real shame to hear that. They guys there are pretty cool to talk to, you should have seen if they could have done something to help you out, maybe a pack exchange or something?

I hope they are looking to go with a hard case here soon. Would go a long way, especially since it seems there battery prices have gone up.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer89 View Post
Just figured I'd write a review on a Maxamps lipo battery I bought...

I bought a 2s 6000 mah Lipo battery about a year ago from Maxamps. It seemed okay at first, but after much use, I quickly changed my mind.

My main problem were the wires. The wires are set up such that the 2 wires come out of the battery pack from the side at the front of the pack. This posed a problem because when I put it in a vehicle with a battery tray, the wires were pushed upwards and made the fit very tight. I also tried the battery in other cars where there were no trays. In my 4wd, I could not run the battery with the wires facing out because they wouldn't fit in the body. So I ran them facing in. However, I then had to run the wires straight up again to avoid the driveshaft. By making the wires turn at such an angle, the silicone insulation stretched and one time when I inserted it into my Graphite battery tray on my 2wd buggy, the battery wires shorted due to the insulation being stretched and cut. The battery was done

My other issue was that in the short time running the battery, the cells themselves became quite hammered. The battery cell dividers on the chassis on my 4wd dug into the battery cell and put dents in it. Also, the battery post made a huge dent in the battery with repeated use. This caused the battery to loose some of its capacity.

That being said, if I do ever purchase another lipo in the future, it will definitely be in a hard case, with vertical connectors like the peak and orion versions...
You would think a dremmel would take care of those nickel cell battery dividers on the chassis that is no longer needed with the li-po. What a shame to pay twice as much for battery because it is in a useless plastic box!!!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
You would think a dremmel would take care of those nickel cell battery dividers on the chassis that is no longer needed with the li-po. What a shame to pay twice as much for battery because it is in a useless plastic box!!!
As far as I can tell, it's more than a plastic box. Who makes the cells that Maxamps uses? I haven't pursued the question but I've heard they won't tell you. Big world of differences in cell quality with lipo no matter the C rating - look up some of linger's posts on the subject. Also, it has been claimed the orion packs will not flame up - just puff up and pop. Can't say the same for Maxamps as there was a recent pack on fire that was said to be theirs. I'm all for running lipo but in order to be accepted more commonly the packs have to be made to a higher standard. One fire is all it takes to get more bad word out and set back acceptance.

Orion packs have more going for them than a hard case...
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I run a XXX-T and the 600o's i bought were ordered with the wires coming out of the top corner. Works great.

heads up though. The shrink wrap can and will cut the wires and you need to clip some of the shrink wrap up around them to keep the shrink wrap from rubbing through.

Also a pad in the front and rear of the battery will keep the packs from getting dimples on the end of the pack.

Its as simple as that and no different than making sure hinge pins move freely or wheels turning or what not.

I'm running 20 minute mains with my truck and the packs are performing awesome so far. I would say 6 weeks. I was running Orion 4800's in the case but I need 6000's.
I can run 30 minutes geared 87-20 in my XXX-T. Wow your hands fall a sleep.
Orions a tough act to follow in the case and all.

Also I herd if you pay an extra 15.00 per pack Max Amp will warranty the packs.? its worth checking out if any one plans to buy any.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
Tech Master

Orion definitely has more than just a hard case. How about a fuse? Yes, they have a fuse so that if a short does occur, no fire...

Some chassis, don't allow foam on both sides. A truck does, but not my zx5.

And the warranty may exist now, but not when i purchased it. Plus, I highly doubt they would cover wires shorting, even if it was due to design flaw.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
As far as I can tell, it's more than a plastic box. Who makes the cells that Maxamps uses? I haven't pursued the question but I've heard they won't tell you. Big world of differences in cell quality with lipo no matter the C rating - look up some of linger's posts on the subject. Also, it has been claimed the orion packs will not flame up - just puff up and pop. Can't say the same for Maxamps as there was a recent pack on fire that was said to be theirs. I'm all for running lipo but in order to be accepted more commonly the packs have to be made to a higher standard. One fire is all it takes to get more bad word out and set back acceptance.

Orion packs have more going for them than a hard case...
I asked Max Amp where there packs were made and all they would say is they make them. Its a hush hush for some reason.???????????????????????????

There probably Kokam.
Kokam claims theres can and will flame as well.
The truth will come out some day.
If orion would come up with the 6000's in case I'd buy them in an instant.
I think they may be struggling with the size. My Max Amps would not fit with a case.
And mah is getting more popular for the weight it adds.
I've seen a lot of other low budget lipos and they are all doing great.
They were in a yellow shrink wrap and they were 4 cell 8000 + mah's and they were 75.00 per pack. One of the local oval guys had them. Also theres a local guy selling Kokams under his brand name. With no case just shrink wrapped.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer89 View Post
Orion definitely has more than just a hard case. How about a fuse? Yes, they have a fuse so that if a short does occur, no fire...

Some chassis, don't allow foam on both sides. A truck does, but not my zx5.

And the warranty may exist now, but not when i purchased it. Plus, I highly doubt they would cover wires shorting, even if it was due to design flaw.
I think they would have to. Its a product defect. We are not supposed to have to alter the pack to prevent it from wearing through the wire.
have you seen there site. On RC/Tech.?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #13
Tech Lord

http://rctech.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=132

Heres there hate and love letter site.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:42 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
I asked Max Amp where there packs were made and all they would say is they make them. Its a hush hush for some reason.???????????????????????????

There probably Kokam.
Kokam claims theres can and will flame as well.
The truth will come out some day.
If orion would come up with the 6000's in case I'd buy them in an instant.
I think they may be struggling with the size. My Max Amps would not fit with a case.
And mah is getting more popular for the weight it adds.
I've seen a lot of other low budget lipos and they are all doing great.
They were in a yellow shrink wrap and they were 4 cell 8000 + mah's and they were 75.00 per pack. One of the local oval guys had them. Also theres a local guy selling Kokams under his brand name. With no case just shrink wrapped.
I have heard from Orion that their packs will not flame. I was told they would puff up and pop but without flames. Even if Maxamps does use Kokam, there are several types and qualities available from them. In a recent thread I'll look for in a bit, a maxamps pack ignited at a race. I think it was the 6000 pack. Granted it was mistreated but this would not have happened with a properly protected pack. I think lipo users need to be as safe as possible at all times if they ever want the tech to become more widely accepted.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
I have heard from Orion that their packs will not flame. I was told they would puff up and pop but without flames. Even if Maxamps does use Kokam, there are several types and qualities available from them. In a recent thread I'll look for in a bit, a maxamps pack ignited at a race. I think it was the 6000 pack. Granted it was mistreated but this would not have happened with a properly protected pack. I think lipo users need to be as safe as possible at all times if they ever want the tech to become more widely accepted.
I agree totally. Yet my owners manual say they can flame up.
thats possibly under certain circumstances. I have the manual. And I'm sure you do to.
Have you seen this.?
http://press.team-orion.com/press/av...am_quality.pdf

It looks that some day people will learn that you can over peak.
And there will be some serious experiments going on.
This is the fear. We can be thankfull Orion is pretesting in the ability to put out warnings to the future of Lipos. Its inevitable. And you can bet when Orion finds a way to cram 6000 MAH's into that case I'll buy them.