Search

Mamba Max Question !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Mamba Max Question !!!

Hi all
I want to shorten the wire's on my Mamba Max either from the speedo to the motor or motor the speedo .the manual mentions motor but not the speedo side ??? It would be easy enough to do from the speedo side as you can unsolder the wire cut em and just reinstall Solder them back up .
Is this feesible to do ,how can you get around this large amount of wire .any set ups out there for a J Concepts BJ4 WE car.
LMK
Thanks in advance
Matt Roosevelt AKA blackdog
Old 06-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

I did exactly that on mine. I shortened the esc wires at the board and kept the bullet connectors in place to simplify motor changes. It's been working fine that way.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Tech Adept

I have not done this to a MM yet but I have replaced the wires directly on the board with Schulze style 6mm connectors
Old 06-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I cut mine and hard wired them to the motor with no problems at all.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

i have no plugs and i cut the speedo wires shorter.
no more plugs heating up
Old 06-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
i have no plugs and i cut the speedo wires shorter.
no more plugs heating up
Wally I'm testing the Mamba 7700, 5700 right now. How hot does yours get.?

Mines reaching 160 degrees. On the motor.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:57 AM
Tech Adept

Wally-
I am wondering what type of connector you were using that was getting hot. Even when I was using the stock 3.5mm Schulzes they never got hot. If I was pushing on an 1/8 scale it may get slightly warm but never hot. Now that I have switched everything to the 6mm Schulzes nothing happens even when running constant 80 to 90 amps with surges over 200, this is on the battery side. I switched to the 6mm ones after I melted down the Deans connectors and I just wanted to make everything the same. So now my motors and batteries are 6mm.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up Hay

Thanks guy's for the input
Matt R
Old 06-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Wally I'm testing the Mamba 7700, 5700 right now. How hot does yours get.?

Mines reaching 160 degrees. On the motor.
hey whats up

if i run a 17t pinion on the zx-5 i can get it to 170-180,but if i run a 16 pinion it only gets up to 160-170. and thats on a 5700
Old 06-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RURC
Wally-
I am wondering what type of connector you were using that was getting hot. Even when I was using the stock 3.5mm Schulzes they never got hot. If I was pushing on an 1/8 scale it may get slightly warm but never hot. Now that I have switched everything to the 6mm Schulzes nothing happens even when running constant 80 to 90 amps with surges over 200, this is on the battery side. I switched to the 6mm ones after I melted down the Deans connectors and I just wanted to make everything the same. So now my motors and batteries are 6mm.
the ones that came with the motor and speedo combo.
i was told not to use them to get rid of cogging and heating so i tookthem off and i never have cogging and the wires dont heat up.
and its cleaner to but if you want to change the motor to a different one it is a pain,
and for me to plug in my pc i have to take the speedo out but i dont care the mamba is really good.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:01 AM
Tech Adept

Yes the factory connectors were not meant for 100 amps. On a system that can provide that much power it seemed silly that they put those on there.

Cogging or what may appear as cogging can come from many different places. I have fixed many cars that have had the issues. It can be very bothersome.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

i also (in the programing plug in with a pc)
the start power is set to low, this helps alot,well i dont get cogging at all now.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
hey whats up

if i run a 17t pinion on the zx-5 i can get it to 170-180,but if i run a 16 pinion it only gets up to 160-170. and thats on a 5700
Well I was wondering cause I've been working with a couple of guys from caslte.
And there like no big deal. 180 200 oh well.
They said don't worry about thermal or a fan.
I figure if I can get to 150 or less I'm good. I'm going to run it a couple of more weeks and see how it goes.
I sure am wanting to throw my Novak back in though.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Well I was wondering cause I've been working with a couple of guys from caslte.
And there like no big deal. 180 200 oh well.
They said don't worry about thermal or a fan.
I figure if I can get to 150 or less I'm good. I'm going to run it a couple of more weeks and see how it goes.
I sure am wanting to throw my Novak back in though.

Why would you be waiting to step back and down to the Novak. Let me finish before you say "Novak hater". I have been testing brushless motors and esc's for now 5 years. I have run almost every combination of motor and esc out. Now the Novak is a fine system. It is relieable (now) and simple. But that is all. It is not user friendly or strong or flexable or clean or capable. Even when compaired to a even a BK controller let alone a Mamba. I am not saying that the Mamba is better than tha BK. Quality wise they are equal but the Mamba is a lot easier to adjust and work with and has more adjustability than the BK. And yes I have the programming software for the BK and all I can say for it is that is it not as bad as the Schulze software. Now on the Novak even the biggest one barely maxes power out put at 1000 watts where the Mamba will run 1000 and more all day. Then with the software it is so adjustable that you can compensate for severe design and layout problems in the rest of the car. I have Novak systems and they get tested in new cars because the manufacturer wants to see performance specs with it. I then look for what the car is capable of with the MM esc. Now I will say that I am less than impressed with their motors. They are good, above average motors but nothing special. If you really want to see what MM esc can do hook up a Neu or Plennenberg motor to one.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I agree,
They all have their place.
I run Novak systems in my 1/10th scale trucks and 4wd buggies on 7.4v, but run a Mamba Max and a Neu in my 1/8th buggy on 14.8v.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.