Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo in a XXX-4G

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Lipo in a XXX-4G

Does anyone run the Orion 3200 Lipo packs in their Losi XXX-4?

I'm trying to fit mine in the chassis, and I'm not sure it's going to work. Does this require any modifications?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would think that it would fit no-problem! I stuffed a 8000 mah in mine, with very little mod, just had to make a battery strap... is the 3200 close to a normal size battery?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

It's supposed to be, but the "bumps" on the bottom of the lipo pack don't fit down into the grooves where the normal cells would sit. I may have to mod the battery strap.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I ran a maxamps 8k in mine for a while.

A piece of tape and foam over the cell holes to help avoid a random puncture from rocks and allowed it to sit flat over that small bump in the cell tray.

Because the pack was so tall, I replaced the short strap mounts with longer body mounts, flipped the strap over and ground down one side of the cell humps so that it sit flat under the body. Left the other side so the strap could be flipped back over and used for 6 cell again Then strapping tape the battery to the strap and clip the strap in as normal.

It was a bit of work, but it was the only way I found to prevent a taller LiPo from ejecting itself from the chassis on a good bump.

If you run a shorter pack, extending the body posts could be skipped, but the rest would be the same.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I run a maxamps 4000 in mine. I milled down the graphite nubs (except the ones touching the tunnel, since they are part of securing the 2-56 screws from the tunnel cover below). Then filled in the slots with milled lead castings, so the lipo sits flat on the graphite/lead. All milling carefully done on my drill-press. Tehn I put some medium-long cap-head screws from below up through the holes for the battery brace posts, and used this to secure the normal battery brace turned upside down with the little nob filed off.

There is a little more detail on how the screws connect to the battery brace, if you care to read on. First, I put the smallest aluminum lock nuts on the screw all the way down, so now the screw is firmly held and sticking upwards. On one of these screw-posts, I take an Associated aluminum wing button, have the battery brace holes drilled out to the diameter of that button, and screw that end of the brace on with the button to match the battery height. This end of the brace can now pivot. I then do something similar to the other end of the brace, but I turn the button upside down and screw it onto the screw-post. Then I use a body clip through the holes in the wind button to hold the brace down on that end. It is a very fast-change battery mount. You can use foam or something to help keep the battery from scooting sideways or forward/backward. Let me know if a picture is required.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I RUN THE ORION 4800 IN MINE WITH NO PROBLEMS....
AND IN MY XX4.....
Attached Thumbnails Lipo in a XXX-4G-xxx4.jpg   Lipo in a XXX-4G-my-orange-xx-4-002.jpg  
Old 06-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Frankie, where and how did you add weight on your Losi cars?
I like the XX4 set up.
I do the same thing with a 3200 on my XXXS.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

CUDA...
I USED DUBRO STICK ON LEAD WEIGHTS. I PUT 2 SQUARES ON THE CHASSY ON THE SIDE THE ELECTRONICS ARE LOCATED. I HAD A ON-ROAD BUDDY PUT THE XX-4 ON 4 SET-UP SCALES AND IT WAS ALMOST PERFECT. AS FAR AS THE XXX-4...I ONLY USED 1 SQUARE ON THE BATTERY SIDE NEAR THE REAR END...THANKS....FRANKIE C