R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #61
Tech Rookie

Have you looked at the SBV2 from Academy? It is awsome right out of the box. Includes A one-way, or standard diff and I have found it to be more durable than any of the other 4WD I have owned including XX-4, ZX5 and my Predator X-10 (But then again there more like Eggshells with wheels) With the SBV2 you can run stick packs on either side, 3x3, 4x2, 5x1 very adjustable.
Bobofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #62
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i run an X-5, it has a real good balance, and it handles rough tracks real nice. i still have an XXX4 I keep for a spare, but it only works well on smoother tracks, and the front end is like glass
TeamBrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #63
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBrainDamage View Post
i run an X-5, it has a real good balance, and it handles rough tracks real nice. i still have an XXX4 I keep for a spare, but it only works well on smoother tracks, and the front end is like glass
Not knowing anything about offroad.....What is the X-5 and who makes it.

I will look into the Academy 4WD as well.

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Elboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #64
Tech Regular

Wait it think i found it. Is the X-5 the lazer from Kyosho? I am going to look into that one as well.

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Old 07-03-2007, 11:01 AM   #65
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The X-5 is from XFactory www.4wdrc.com

It's a conversion kit for the XX-4 to that converts it into a single belt car instead of the XX's 3 belts. Plus, it's a lot easier to work on. My only complaint is it doesn't have the clicker, that is such an awesome feature.
br93lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #66
Tech Adept

not kyosho, the X-5 is a conversion kit for the Losi XX4,
or you can buy the complete kit from X-Factory
here is the website http://www.4wdrc.com
I saw it at the 2005 nationals, and realy liked the design.
and then drove one, and I had to get one.
TeamBrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #67
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBrainDamage View Post
not kyosho, the X-5 is a conversion kit for the Losi XX4,
or you can buy the complete kit from X-Factory
here is the website http://www.4wdrc.com
I saw it at the 2005 nationals, and realy liked the design.
and then drove one, and I had to get one.
I did see that, thanks for the correction (you know us onroad guys). It looks very interesting. I will have to check that out, thanks again.

I did look into the Kyosho, I like the fact that it comes with a front diff, and one way and spool. it's kinda like my WCE cyclone touring car that I have, it came with everything as well. Seems like the best bang for the buck and a good chassis choice would be the Kyosho or the Losi XXX4. I will keep researching. thanks for the info guys.

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Old 07-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #68
Tech Regular

I love my xxx-4. But it takes alot of practice time, and a bit of $$ to get it where it can take the abuse that a 4wd has to endure. Very fast car, and very easy to maintain. Good choice for under $300.
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:28 AM   #69
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I've never ran any of the big brands, since I'm a poor racer lol. I've driven ALL of the Academies. The Sb sport, SB Pro, V2sport, V2 Pro. They are all extremely well build car, and can take quite a beating. Of years of driving them, I've only broken ONE front right arm. That was it! I stocked up like $100 worth of parts for no reason. And I've made some stupid decisions driving them, and have had nasty landings and crashes. The car is still running today.

I just recently got a TC3"o". Not exactly what I expected so far. Definitely not on par with any of today's buggies. But that' because I just got it probably. Maybe it'll run better when I fix it up, and tune it properly. Overall, my recommendation is an Academy V1Pro. It's cheap, you can get it about $150 brand new nowadays. And comes with carbon fiber chassis and all the goodies. And performs equally well compare to all the higher priced cars(Oh it definitely outrun losis at my local track!)
Intotheblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #70
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltapdout View Post
I love my xxx-4. But it takes alot of practice time, and a bit of $$ to get it where it can take the abuse that a 4wd has to endure. Very fast car, and very easy to maintain. Good choice for under $300.
Ok I am just getting into off road. Why are the 4x4 buggies so hard? I hear people talking about it a lot and I don't get it?? Before I get one someone explain please!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #71
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

4wd is very easy to drive but they are said to be on the fragile side.2wd buggy is the most difficult but they can take more abuse than 4wd.the latest 4wd buggies are more durable than there reputation shows.this is why i feel the class is going to boom.its fast,fun,easy to drive,and now more durable.the downside is they are more pricey than the 2wd buggies
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #72
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahrcracer View Post
Ok I am just getting into off road. Why are the 4x4 buggies so hard? I hear people talking about it a lot and I don't get it?? Before I get one someone explain please!!!
4wd is not necessarily harder to drive, depends what you compair it too it quess. My 4wd, a xxx-4 has been temperamental at times. some call it fragile. It took me some time learning how to react to the car, and how the car was going to react to me. You could say that I was learning how to not "bash" it. After learning how to keep the thing on the tires and not on the lid, I have had no problems with parts breakage. In fact, it has been 4 months now without a single broken part!! Thats pretty good from my experiences.
I dont want to discourage anyone from getting into 4wd, infact thats one of the only problems with them, is theres not enough people running them. Also I don't want to discourage anyone from getting a losi 4wd.
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #73
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Check out our new show, we have some cool off-road footage:
http://www.rctvlive.com

Thanks!
RCTVLIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:09 AM   #74
Tech Adept

well it kinda sounds like they are better, kinda like the min-t compaired to the rc18t, please it makes the mini-t look like a piece. Anyway I am going to my local track tomorrow and I think I might check out the 4WD!!! I was thinking losi or kyosho any sugestions???
Old 07-08-2007, 12:24 AM   #75
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Thumbs up

BJ4 for a smooth track. A shaft driven car that is very quick.

XX4 for a rough track. Considered the best. I have driven alot of other wheelers and is the best one even though it is a little fragile.
BuggyKing is offline   Reply With Quote