R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch P. View Post
and how long has jermey been with hotbodies??
it's been about one month. same as Travis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch P. View Post
you on hotbodies??
yes.
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #47
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-LowBlow View Post
it's been about one month. same as Travis.

yes.
nice man the buggy looks good, but I havnt heard alot of good things about, but im not going to judge the car cause ive only briefly looked at Jermeys. but ill definitly want to give the car a try sometime .

Mitch
Mitch P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #48
Tech Regular

Default Maybe this will answer your question

I race 1/10th and the race track in Horsham closed... Leaving me know other choice but to look at off roads.. Until I discovered this link; check it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfsdiRa38ws
junelopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #49
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Get a truck. Its different but off road in vegas if your only going to have 1 thing its a truck. 4wd is hot on and off, buggy is about 75%-80% of the time. But its rare to not have some sort of truck class.

Or just put some longer shocks and rally tires on one of your touring cars...
Syxxstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:26 AM   #50
Tech Regular

Just a little something to add as far as durability. I broke the rear of my chassis off on my xx-4 in practice on Sun. No rear bumper, hence the rear hinge pins hanging out in the open. Finished 3 heats and main. TQ'd but finished 2nd in a hotly contested main. How's that for durability? Or maybe "finishability".... Is that even a word?
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #51
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFX View Post
i dont know if some people read the original post, but he's a guy coming from years of touring car onroad racing, and people are suggesting he get a 2wd buggy? talk about chalk and cheese, the difference in the way of driving is huge, at least 4wd wouldnt be as big a shock to the system.
That is a good point. the only reason why I was thinking about 4wd drive is because I think that a 2wd buggy would be a huge change of driving style compared to the 4wd. Now mind you, i have never drove a 4wd buggy, i drive a 2wd buggy for about 3 laps and it is a different driving style so that is why i opted for the 4wd. Plus all of my friends that drove touring car have done off road in the past and when they get offroad, they are going to get 4wd so I wanted to stay in the same class.

it seems that the opinions are as varied as when asking what is the best onroad car. I appreciate all of the opinions and facts and it seems that I am going to look at a couple of different buggies.

The Kyosho, Losi xxx4 and the Bj4. I want to have something that uses a straight six battery pack configuration instead of saddle because all of my battery packs are stright six. but beleive me, if i have to go to saddle packs i will. I have heard a lot of good things about the kyosho and the xxx4 so I will look on their websites etc and see what is what. If anyone has another opinion, I am open to it because i need all the help I can get in offroad.

You want to talk about rollout ratios for touring I got ya covered, but offroad, I have no idea about. lol

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Elboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #52
Tech Regular

Another thing that I noticed is that most guys that drive offroad and touring seem to be a lot smoother because of the offroad racing they have done as well. Most guys at our track that come from ofrroad to onroad generally do really well. that is another reason why I want to start doing offroad.

Has anyone had that experience of driving offroad and it making them smoother when they drive onroad?

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Old 07-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I personally have the ZX5 and I think it's a great car. I race against XXX4G, a Yokomo, and other ZX5's. I haven't seen that much of a difference in durability between the cars. The Kyosho is a great car at a great price and parts are eas y to get and reasonably priced.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #54
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elboogie View Post
Another thing that I noticed is that most guys that drive offroad and touring seem to be a lot smoother because of the offroad racing they have done as well. Most guys at our track that come from ofrroad to onroad generally do really well. that is another reason why I want to start doing offroad.

Has anyone had that experience of driving offroad and it making them smoother when they drive onroad?
I believe it could go both ways. I run a lot of 1/12 and touring during the last 3 years. This is my first year of off-road and I can run with or beat the guys that have been doing this forever. There's still a lot to be said for chassis tuning, as well. Not boasting, but throttle control is important in every class of rc racing.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #55
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

2 wd will teach you all about corner speed as to be really fast at it you push it to the brink , go too fast you will wipe out alot easier than with a 4wd. may or may not help (i think everyone drives differently). i went from offroad to carpet only to not like carpet tc's as there wasnt anything more to it than driving lines and throttle (DO NOT and i do mean DO NOT take that wrong it takes alot of skill) but to me i like jumps and more inconsistant surfaces. where i think offroad helps is the ability to carry in and out more corner speed as you learn how to steer/correct a car on throttle control. besides cleaning there isnt much difference in maintaining a car/buggy and some carpet guys clean more than offroad guys and vice versa.
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #56
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenlife View Post
2 wd will teach you all about corner speed as to be really fast at it you push it to the brink , go too fast you will wipe out alot easier than with a 4wd. may or may not help (i think everyone drives differently). i went from offroad to carpet only to not like carpet tc's as there wasnt anything more to it than driving lines and throttle (DO NOT and i do mean DO NOT take that wrong it takes alot of skill) but to me i like jumps and more inconsistant surfaces. where i think offroad helps is the ability to carry in and out more corner speed as you learn how to steer/correct a car on throttle control. besides cleaning there isnt much difference in maintaining a car/buggy and some carpet guys clean more than offroad guys and vice versa.
You're right. I probably learned more from 1/12 as far as steering input and throttle control than the "point-and-shoot" tc's.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:30 PM   #57
Tech Fanatic

To be honest, I think if you go with any of the 4WD Buggies that are mentioned here you can't go wrong. It's all about driving style. I bash, and I mean BASH with my XXX-4 G+ and have only broken 1 part ( the rear hinge pin block) I've taken my car off of BMX jumps with no problem.

I also like the XXX-4 because it has a sealed drive line...... having a belt ehhh has it's ups and downs.

No matter what you get, I think your going to be happy.

Jay
pyro18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #58
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro18t View Post
To be honest, I think if you go with any of the 4WD Buggies that are mentioned here you can't go wrong. It's all about driving style. I bash, and I mean BASH with my XXX-4 G+ and have only broken 1 part ( the rear hinge pin block) I've taken my car off of BMX jumps with no problem.

I also like the XXX-4 because it has a sealed drive line...... having a belt ehhh has it's ups and downs.

No matter what you get, I think your going to be happy.

Jay
You guys are the bomb when it comes to info. I think for $ purposes I will either go with the xxx4 or the Kyosho. I know that the bj4 is really good but I don't know whether I want to shell out that much money yet. But I know that I am the type of person to get the best and if the best costs a little more, then that is ok. Thanks for the info and keep the opinions coming.

Thanks guys.

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Old 07-02-2007, 01:17 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

keep saving for the 501x!
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #60
Tech Initiate

If you want to stay with stick style packs that knocks the number of choices down quite a bit. If that was my constraint I would probably be choosing between the Kyosho and the Non Worlds edition of the BJ4. I had a XXX-4 for a very long time and it did great on our local track, but I always liked my XX-4 better but it kept breaking. When the X-5 came out the XXX-4 ended up on Ebay.
br93lx is offline   Reply With Quote