Wiki Posts
Search

Gear Mesh Help Losi SCTE - Video Inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:42 PM
blf
Tech Apprentice

Default Gear Mesh Help Losi SCTE - Video Inside

Posted this on another site as well (rcshortcourse) - I've been building up an SCTE 1.0 roller, had an RX-8/Pro 4 HD 4300 done, and although the mesh seemed to be set perfect, I noticed after a nice initial run that I can't quite get the mesh to where it feels like it should be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFVT...ature=youtu.be

it just sounds like that at very slow speeds, it sounds less coggy when you push it a little harder. I cant get the motor to go any closer

When I roll it on the carpet I get the cogging action but it smooths out and gets quiet when I speed it up. I'm using a KH mount - even with it all the way it, there is still some lash/play. I've set gear mesh before and can do it by feel/sound, but this one has me stumped.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:04 PM
blf
Tech Apprentice

Here is another quick vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYPe...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-04-2014, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

As you spin that magnet in the motor by hand it can have a coggy feel as it spins. That is not a big deal.

Not sure that I see an issue in the mesh in your video. If you are not sure if the mesh is set right you can cheat a bit by taking a piece of notebook paper and wedging in between the spur and pinion and then tighten things down in place. Once the paper is removed that should leave just enough play in the gears so they do not bind but have them set nice and close.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

From the video it sounds normal to me. What size pinion you running?
Old 09-04-2014, 06:15 AM
blf
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the thoughts guys --- im running a 13t mod 1 losi pinion with the RRP machined 40T plastic spur - I

It just seems like I should have a little more room to get the motor/pinion closer to the spur with the KHZ mount.

It looks like the leading edge of the spur got SLIGHTLY chewed up>

Should I change spur and try the Losi motor mount?
Old 09-04-2014, 06:46 AM
blf
Tech Apprentice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsQn...ature=youtu.be

Does that sound good?

I guess its normal to have it make that loose cogging sound when just rolling it to a stop with no power? My Slashes never did that so .......
Old 09-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lbenton
As you spin that magnet in the motor by hand it can have a coggy feel as it spins. That is not a big deal.

Not sure that I see an issue in the mesh in your video. If you are not sure if the mesh is set right you can cheat a bit by taking a piece of notebook paper and wedging in between the spur and pinion and then tighten things down in place. Once the paper is removed that should leave just enough play in the gears so they do not bind but have them set nice and close.
This is excellent advice, but I always use two sheets of paper with MOD1 gears (the big teeth on the SCTE). I do this mainly because on the cars that I have with MOD1 gears, it is not possible to be able to look at the gears from the axis of the pinion (they are all three-diff cars and the front of the car is in the way).

With two sheets of paper, I squeeze the gears together real hard and lock down the motor. Then take the paper out.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:23 PM
Tech Rookie

I am having issues too. I think I'll use more than 2 sheets next time. The play on the mesh is barely visible and if a piece of sand gets in there it nearly locks up. I usually use a piece of card similar to a 'light' birthday card if that makes sense but last time used the two sheets of printer paper; no good for me.
Motor overheating after 3mins.
I was alway concerned with the play on the gears that's why I tried the 2 sheets but I think I have had it right in the past with the card. It all might depend on how hard you squeeze them together.
I run the card up and down a bit and then squeaze really tight to tighten down.