R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-29-2007, 03:05 AM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakeass View Post
Correct. The current b4 has been out for I think 5 years if not more.
It came out at the 03 Cactus Classic.

That was Ryan Maifield's and the B4s first Major win.

Associated brought the first 20 B4s to sell at that race and I got # 18, the last two were raffled off.
*Chrominator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:22 PM   #47
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Chrominator* View Post
It came out at the 03 Cactus Classic.

That was Ryan Maifield's and the B4s first Major win.

Associated brought the first 20 B4s to sell at that race and I got # 18, the last two were raffled off.
Man, that's cool. Do you still drive it?

BTW, i dig your signature. That's quite funny
B4Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to xsxracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkewlbeanz View Post
Amen to that!
No joke.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:07 AM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4Bandit View Post
Man, that's cool. Do you still drive it?

BTW, i dig your signature. That's quite funny
No I wore it out and sold it a couple of years ago, I kinda wish I would have kept it.

Thanks I'm glad you like my signature.
*Chrominator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:23 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Why design around Li-Po when ROAR hasn't yet legalized it?
Because ROAR is not the "be all, end all" of the hobby. Do most bashers care what ROAR says, does, or thinks? Racing is such a small segment of the hobby, you don't think a person who primarily bashes would like the extra durability? How many clubs allow LiPo? I know most around here do. They're not ROAR legal, so why are they so popular? Castle Creations motors aren't ROAR legal, how many clubs stick to their guns and prevent people from running them?

ROAR needs to catch up, for sure, but I think that the majority of clubs deviate from ROAR rules to a point where they are sometimes un-recognizeable.

So maybe cars designed around LiPo aren't ready for the drawing board quite yet, but perhaps by the time the manufacturers are ready to design the next gen. cars, lipo will be legal. Should they not design a car specifically for the new technology when it does become legal?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #51
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron P View Post
Because ROAR is not the "be all, end all" of the hobby. Do most bashers care what ROAR says, does, or thinks? Racing is such a small segment of the hobby, you don't think a person who primarily bashes would like the extra durability?
ROAR isn't, but they are the most popular giude line. Also, bashers don't care what ROAR thinks, but most B4/T4 users do. Most bashers run T-Maxxs, Revos, Stampedes, Savages, and $300 1/8 scales...

Also, both Orion Lipos easily fits within the current B4/T4 configuration. The problem with designing a "Lipo friendly" vehicle, is that there IS NO STANDARD SIZE for Lipos. There are an almost infinate amount of difference in the demosions.

Just my .02..
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #52
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Who wants to bet that LiPo is legal at the 08' cactus? Pay no attention to the fact that Chromie knows the owner...
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:46 PM   #53
Tech Apprentice

maybe a 4.5 like someone said(servo spring). ae could upgrade a little but not a whole new desing.

i would hat if ae made a new kit. i would not have the money for a new kit.

t4
gt2
xxxbk2
soon to be tc4
nickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron P View Post
Because ROAR is not the "be all, end all" of the hobby. Do most bashers care what ROAR says, does, or thinks? Racing is such a small segment of the hobby, you don't think a person who primarily bashes would like the extra durability? How many clubs allow LiPo? I know most around here do. They're not ROAR legal, so why are they so popular? Castle Creations motors aren't ROAR legal, how many clubs stick to their guns and prevent people from running them?

ROAR needs to catch up, for sure, but I think that the majority of clubs deviate from ROAR rules to a point where they are sometimes un-recognizeable.

So maybe cars designed around LiPo aren't ready for the drawing board quite yet, but perhaps by the time the manufacturers are ready to design the next gen. cars, lipo will be legal. Should they not design a car specifically for the new technology when it does become legal?
Why would AE design the new car around something that useless in their field? AE is a racing company, period, why would they do something like that? I would love for them to but it doesn't seem feasible right now. I think that they should be legal, I see no problem with it, but its not ROAR legal and thats what AE is about. Racing.
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #55
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

We run the B4/T4 at SRS twice a week with LiPo's... many of us do... they run amazing.. I dont see what needs to be redesigned.

I agree that ROAR should get with the times, but they haven't... So, I (and many people..) made the deceision to go with the superior technology, and not participate in races that don't allow them. Our state championship race allowed LiPo, as will the Cactus Classic (as it stands now).

If that makes me 'just' a club racer, then so be it.... I'm having more fun than in my previous 12 years of racing... and im still decently fast.

Last edited by FlyByWire; 10-30-2007 at 07:27 PM.
FlyByWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:22 PM   #56
Tech Fanatic

i dont see anything that needs to be redesigned in a t4 or b4 for lipo , orions slip right in , same spacers i used with metal , i felt it was to light so i weighted back up and like it , ray
ray3619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:06 PM   #57
Tech Apprentice

lipo why do i care. im too cheap for that stuff

t4
gt2
xxxbk2
soon to be tc4
Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 PM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

nickp, Being cheap is one of the best reasons to run LiPo! One battery per car and they last for years with virtually no degradation in performance. What could be cheaper than that?

In a way, the phrase "if it aint broke, don't fix it" does apply here. Given how fast an AE car wears out and how fast they are before they do AE has sold a ton of kits, in many cases multiple kits per racer (most AE racers I know go through two cars a year plus rebuild parts).

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:47 PM   #59
Tech Apprentice

i would need to get a charger($90 used) and actual money for the packs. i have more im portant things to get like brushless and dsm.

t4
gt2
xxxbk2
soon to be tc4
Old 11-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Personally I dont care about ROAR and if they approve LIPO or not. I am a basher not a racer and I am sure I am not in the minority.

I have a t4, lipo batteries, novak brushless 6.5, 7.5 and 10.5 with GTB- esc, and the fasst 2.4g radio w/reciever. I have a hell of a good time just running on the track, and I have no desire to race.

How ever I would like to see some improvements to the T4. With the motor and lipo the truck is very fast, but it breaks faster as well. I would like to see upgraded shocks, and with out a doubt stronger, more durable front A-Arms.

Just my .02 on the conversation.
OG RC 10T is offline   Reply With Quote