R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

RURC, you have it wrong, the Novak is a step up from the Mamba Max.

I have owned the Mamba Max and the Novak GTB and in no way is the Mamba easier to adjust, unless of course you have a laptop at the track. Ok, so then just use the radio to adjust the Mamba Max, right? Lets hope that you don't interfere with someone on your same channel at the track. If you are at a track with a radio impound, you are screwed!

So what if the Mamba Max can do over 1000 watts all day. We are talking 1/10 scale here. If you are bashing racing a Traxxas Rustler or Jato, I can understand that, but if you are racing, 1000 watts is just too much.

If you are not impressed with the Novak brushless motors, then you must definitely not be a racer.

However, having owned the Mamba Max, I ran into all sorts of issues like cogging, hesitation using some of the best equipment around. It is sad that the Mamba Max does that and I wish I never wasted money on it.
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to t9dragon Send a message via AIM to t9dragon Send a message via MSN to t9dragon Send a message via Yahoo to t9dragon

Can a Novak motor be controlled by a Mamba Max ESC?
t9dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

No, the Novak motors require a sensored speedo like the Novak or LRP.
The Mamba is sensorless.

It uses just the three motor wires.
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:06 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I actually talked to tech at castle creations and found that yes the mamba will control the novak motor, but not as good as it really could. he said that the mamba motor was a 2 pole motor and the novak was a 3 pole motor. He also said that the software would be available to download at some point in the future to be able to run other motors!
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:24 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnin View Post
RURC, you have it wrong, the Novak is a step up from the Mamba Max.

I have owned the Mamba Max and the Novak GTB and in no way is the Mamba easier to adjust, unless of course you have a laptop at the track. Ok, so then just use the radio to adjust the Mamba Max, right? Lets hope that you don't interfere with someone on your same channel at the track. If you are at a track with a radio impound, you are screwed!

So what if the Mamba Max can do over 1000 watts all day. We are talking 1/10 scale here. If you are bashing racing a Traxxas Rustler or Jato, I can understand that, but if you are racing, 1000 watts is just too much.

If you are not impressed with the Novak brushless motors, then you must definitely not be a racer.

However, having owned the Mamba Max, I ran into all sorts of issues like cogging, hesitation using some of the best equipment around. It is sad that the Mamba Max does that and I wish I never wasted money on it.

MATTIN, Are we going there here also. The Novak to me is a pain as is trying to set up the MM without a PC. Yes I take my lap top everywhere with me. So IT IS EASIER TO PROGRAM LET ALONE THOUSANDS OF TIMES MORE ADJUSTABLE. Your "cogging" issues were no fault of the MM I believe. I have been racing very competatively for 22 years. So there goes your theory. I do not nor have I ever had "cogging" issues with a MM. The Novak is under powered and under adjustable. Let alone that the senoers can and DO break. I have been testing brushless systems in cars for going on 6 years for most of the large manufacturers. I assure I know of what I speak. For the most part "cogging" is a false issue. I have only seen about 4 real cases of cogging where the esc was really not able to get signal straight. All other issure that I have fixed were improper set up of other problems in the systems causeing "cogging" symptoms.

If you cant handle 1000 watts then stay with the Novak and have fun. But to say that the Novak is superior is just false. They both have their place but the Novak is inferior.

BAdASSREVO is not right. The Mamba Max esc can control any brushless motor out sensored or sensorless. Yes even the Novak motors. I have and do do it. The Novak esc can only run sensored motors thus limiting your choices to Novak and LRP and it may run the Orion also I have not tried that one yet.
RURC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:24 AM   #21
Tech Elite

lol
i run a gtx in my 1/12
and i have to get a new one every year coz the car gets slow,put a new one in and hmmmmm fast againi think.
i love the mamba,fast and no worries
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:50 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nice, I just ordered my first MM yesterday! Seems like a good unit, can't wait
I picked up a 5700 unit and I'm going to try it in a origional RC10T. Do you think this is stupid idea? The trans has a fresh rebuild, and everything is smooth.. I'm just worried that a vehicle built in 1990 can handle the power of "07".
Any input?
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

RURC,

I just caught up on your last few posts. BTW, I use a MM with the 5700 in a xxx4. But you mention that the MM really can be better with a Neu, etc. Would you envision any point in trying a neu/MM in a xxx4 or a T4, and if so, which model of neu, and what would be the nicer results of doing this?

Thanks
BobWoodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What exactly is this "cogging" I keep hearing about? I also run a MM5700 in a XXX-4 and it's been great. I did need to replace one of the factory connectors after several weeks of running because it got loose and was making a bad connection. One thing I've noticed is that the reverse mode without lockout tends to cause the motor to "jerk" into reverse, which makes the belt skip. Outside of that, I haven't had any trouble.
pserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:39 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse View Post
RURC,

I just caught up on your last few posts. BTW, I use a MM with the 5700 in a xxx4. But you mention that the MM really can be better with a Neu, etc. Would you envision any point in trying a neu/MM in a xxx4 or a T4, and if so, which model of neu, and what would be the nicer results of doing this?

Thanks
As soon as I get cought up with my builds will drop a Neu 11xx motor in a B4 and a T4 and play with it. Th eNeu motors are high pole motors and really smooth out the acceleration curve. This also makes for faster lehner detection by the MM thus better throttle response. Plus the Neu will handle 60,000 plus rpm. I have run them over 90,000 rpm with ceramic bearings
RURC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:56 AM   #26
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well 'm a Novak fan,(GTB) I have also run LRP.ANd it went bad with in 3 months.
Now on the MM
The cogging at the very take off is some thing I have noticed but I was able to program that out. I used the throttle curve.
I agree that the programing is very very simple I like it a lot.

But I don't like taking my computer to the dirt track. I've had awesome results with the GTB at the dirt track.
I see a sedan future for my MM. But I am going to give it some more testing.
Like said earlier they all have a place. The MM seems to need more traction to its application. I spent 6 hours the other day and a set of bow ties tring to get it set to a loose track and unpreped. Its close, and tonights race night. MM's got its work cut out to pull me away from my Novaks.
I sure do like the no fear of thermal feeling when on the stand though.
And you can really tweak that programing on the MM.

Oh and I understand your not a Novak hater, Just throwing some input out there. Thanks.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:04 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

RURC,

Why an 11xx instead of a 15xx? I think the 15xx is the same dia as a 540 can, right?

Right now, now 5700 is too much motor for my home track, so I was thinking of getting a 4600 from Castle, but your Neu/MM mixture commentray is intriguing. Do you have suggestions for a Neu motor that would give good run times, low heat, nice feel for a T4 or a xxx4 -- a Neu motor less agreesive than the Castle 5700?
BobWoodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
The cogging at the very take off is some thing I have noticed but I was able to program that out. I used the throttle curve.
Hopefully you completely eliminated the problem. I tried and never was able to get fully rid of it. The hesitation or stuttering that happens on take off, after spin outs, or just randomly gets old very quick.

I had two mamba max systems, a 5700 and a 7700 and both had the exact same problem. I soldered the wires directly together, had a brand new spektrum pro radio with pro receiver, super exzes plus radio, IB3800 matched and balanced batteries, etc... The problem went away when I went back to Novak though, go figure
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #29
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnin View Post
Hopefully you completely eliminated the problem. I tried and never was able to get fully rid of it. The hesitation or stuttering that happens on take off, after spin outs, or just randomly gets old very quick.

I had two mamba max systems, a 5700 and a 7700 and both had the exact same problem. I soldered the wires directly together, had a brand new spektrum pro radio with pro receiver, super exzes plus radio, IB3800 matched and balanced batteries, etc... The problem went away when I went back to Novak though, go figure
I will mention another down fall to the Mamba. if you are rolling backwards it has to let the timing catch up before it will take off. I can see how it may be a great or even ultimate basher system. But the GTB is as smooth as it gets for the low end.

The curve and not the linear setting will smooth the Mamba out.

The Mamba has an instantaneous feel on power.
The GTB feels more stretchy or softer as far as rolling on the throttle is concerned and is more forgiving and effective in the dirt.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:19 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

How hot does everyones mamba esc get? My motor (6900kv) will run around 140 - 150 but my esc is up at 180

Cheers
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote