R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default New charger...Which one?

I have been looking pretty hard at the Triton 2 from Great Planes. This is the higher end of what I want to pay. I really want to keep it under $125.

I will be charging Nimh batteries for racing primarily, but since I would like to go to a brushless system in the near future it would be nice to be able to charge LiPo packs. The last charger I bought (Tekin BC100L) still works great but will not even charge Nimh. I would like this new charger to last me 14 years also and I think racing is going more toward Brushless and LiPo. 20 minute mains with Brushless power sounds pretty awesome to me.

Are there any other Chargers out there that I should be looking at in my price range?
LiveLarge44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

duratrax ice...best charger for $125 (tower has them for that $)
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i agree with jay, the ice is by far the best
xxx-tkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:18 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to VoneS3Kid

You could also try an SJ Propo Swallow 2 Advance AC/DC. The duratrax Ice Charger is a good charger too!
Old 06-15-2007, 02:02 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the orion advantage is only a little bit cheaper on stormer hobbies.
thats what im getting next.
check it out.
action135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:38 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx-tkid View Post
i agree with jay, the ice is by far the best
Have to agree, the Ice is definately value for money, if Muchmore badged it, it would cost twice the price
flyspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm using the Ice charger, but if I where to buy another I would probably go with the Checkpoint. Same charger just a couple of more whistles and bells.

They are the best all round charger as far as I'm concerned.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

I just bought the checkpoint charger, and I absolutely love it. It's simple to use, customizable, and has a 5 year warranty.

I highly recommend it.
Eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have two ICE chargers and they are great for the money.
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

+1 to the ICE. Add the backlite kit. it's worth it. Those two together are still cheaper than the checkpoint. All though the checkpoint has 20amp discharge, I personally don't use mine for discharging. I build my own dischargers so that I can charge more batteries.
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarge44 View Post
............ but since I would like to go to a brushless system in the near future it would be nice to be able to charge LiPo packs.
Lipo has nothing to do with brushless.....You can run Ni batteries with brushless and lipos with brushed motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarge44 View Post
............ The last charger I bought (Tekin BC100L) still works great but will not even charge Nimh. ......
Mine works fine with NiMh batteries. Bought it around 1989-1990. Tekin is good stuff.

There are lots of decent chargers out there. I use a couple of Electrifly Peak 400's. Very small, only $30, but only 2.5 amp max charge rate. But I like them well enough I have two. Use them all the time on IB4200's, 3800's, GP3700 and 3300's. Yes it takes a while to charge, but I generally plan well enough ahead it doesn't matter. I use them to charge my practice packs while I'm driving to races. Nickel batteries only.

I also have a CE Pitbull X3. It's a great charger. Very versatile, can program it. Right at the top of your price range though. Nickel batteries only.

There are TONS of Lipo chargers out there. Most are under $100 or so. There are a bunch that are under $50, but will only charge at 2.5 or 3 amps. If you can plan ahead for charging, then you could save some bucks there. I have a Worley MCMR (also sold under different brands) and a Thunder Power 425, they both work well. Both are right at $50.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

ICE
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Talking Help with ICE Charger and EAGLE SHE power supply

I am new to using a power supply and this is my first high technology charger. I have a couple of questions if someone would be so kind to help this charger and power supply "rookie." I tried to go on the Eagle website, but it is in Japanese and I can't get it any other format. They have manuals on line, from what I can tell, but I can't read anything. Not fluent in Japanese

I purchased an ICE charger from an online hobby shop. Right now, I am only wanting to charge batteries, not put anything into memory. I figured out how to charge by setting the type of battery and the capacity, and I set the charge rate at 5amps for Nickel metal, but when I start charging, the fan does not come on. That concerns me. Now I do notice in the instructions it talks about user settings and mentions fan control, but I can't seem to find that on the screen. Can anyone tell me how to turn on the fan? The charger is working because I can watch the numbers count up so I know that part is working.

Also, I purchased an Eagle SHE Power supply 12V/14A. It is silver. The one I ordered was blue, but this one appears to have a different number and on the box it shows it as "auto voltage" as the blue one does not have that. Other than that, they at least look the same and have the same ratings from what I can tell. However, there is a 30th Anniversary sticker over where my power supply would say "Auto Voltage". This is not really the one I ordered, but I noticed on the website that it now shows the same charger in blue as out of stock. I ordered it when it was in stock, but got sent this one.

The one thing I don't like about it is it has a strange plastic "heat sink" where the negative and positive poles are located, and they are pretty slick. You can't always be sure that the clips going to the charger will stay attached. Can anyone recommend another type of input connection that will hook up more solidly with the clips? I don't really like what came with the power supply.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have only one charger and two racers, and have had the other charger for years. It is a great charger, but I definitely need two. I would like to know how to use it by at least this Wednesday for racing. Thank you all!

Diane
Old 06-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by action135 View Post
the orion advantage is only a little bit cheaper on stormer hobbies.
thats what im getting next.
check it out.
i sold all my much more stuff and got an orion its very nice and way easy to use,
it dose everything you need to do.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote