R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Unhappy Sponserships!

Hi Guys,

Are sponserships hard to get. I seem to go through tires in mod buggy, and really can't afford to race anymore. I probably would imagine if your not a world class driver they won't even consider you. Been off road racing for a little over 2 years and can't afford to stay in the hobby. Any info would be appreciated.

BuggyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 267 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXCRRacer View Post
Hi Guys,

Are sponserships hard to get. I seem to go through tires in mod buggy, and really can't afford to race anymore. I probably would imagine if your not a world class driver they won't even consider you. Been off road racing for a little over 2 years and can't afford to stay in the hobby. Any info would be appreciated.

are you burning up taper pins? seriously i almost quit because i was burning one set of tires per club race and then i switched to panther switchs 2.0 and i have had the same pair of tires on my car for 2 months and i race twice a week and they are just now starting to ware, and the tires are just as fast.this is on a blue groove surface.you should give it a try I have been racing for almost 8 years so this is a honest opinion from a local fast racer in washington
johnny boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Well it's not a high bite track. It is Socal Raceway and we go through holeshots and square very quickly. I can kill a pair of tires every qualifier basically. It is getting to $$$ just for tires, not so much breaking parts, cause I really don't crash much.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sponsorships. correct spelling. sorry i had to. Tire sponsorships in most peoples cases are out of the question especially if most of your racing is club racing. Try to talk to some of the other racers and see what everyone is else is running and maybe some changes to the track could help.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Johnny_S.

Run SS switch 2.0s and clay switches for buggy, should last you quite awhile. Don't buggy grip. I know it helps quite a bit, but both the Hartson and normal buggy grip rip up the tires really quick. Don't run mod? A 19t will be nearly as quick as a mod at socal and you will be able to punch it harder without as much tirespin.

Tire sponsorships are one of the hardest to get most likely (I think that 50% panther sponsorships are pretty easy if you run basically anything besides club races and do decent at them) because it is really costly (for you and them) to supply you with fresh tires.

I know when I run truck at socal I would get about 6-8 nights on a set of holeshots (hartson saucing every run) in stock, probably much less in mod/19t unless I get a bad run on the pipe or something and I get a nice row of pegs cut off or something.
Johnny_S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think the first step in getting sponsor's is to spell sponsor correctly.

I've been racing for just over two years now (at national level) and have a few sponsorship arrangements. I have an understanding of what is required in order to firstly obtain sponsorship, and of course understand what a sponsor expects of me as a sponsored driver.

Let me tell you, it's not just about getting free gear and not coughing up for stuff. Usually a sponsor expects something in return. And it's usually promotion of their products, and perhaps some other general duties that you might carry out for your sponsor, in your area. (liaise with shops, deal with track banners, could be anything)

A sponsored driver somewhat becomes 'staff' of the company. Perhaps not officially in some cases, but you know what I mean. It's not just about obtaining free stuff. It doesn't work like that. Sponsorship requires great responsibility.

You dont have to win every race to be sponsored, but of course, placing somewhere up there with the faster guys does help. Be friendly and helpful at the track, help the lesser experienced where you can, etc.

keep your sponsors up to date as much as you can, alert them of coming race meets and report back after a race meet too (pics, write up, your placings, whatever)

It takes a while, and you wont get anything if you dont ask. Put together a sponsorship package, a doc with some pics, a blurb about you, your racing history, and so on... be professional, kind of like applying for a job.

good luck
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:23 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Unfortunately, living in southern California is a HUGE obstacle in terms of finding sponsorship anymore.

Read this: http://www.undergroundrc.com/tuning/....aspx?uID=4288

The more you have to offer a company, the more likely you are to get help.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:14 AM   #8
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXCRRacer View Post
Hi Guys,

try a set of red Bk bar`s , they last a long time and are faster than the Panther`s...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:46 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

meh 99% of "sponsorship" is gained by sucking up, being friends with the hobby shop, spamming rctech saying how good this persons motor tuning skills/battery matching is. then they may give you parts at cost price.

heres a place to start, there are heaps of motor tuners, battery matchers in every city. find one and start sucking up.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105

not many racers actually get free tires, batteries or motors.
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Don't we have this topic stickied at the top of every forum yet????

The problem with the 'cost' of r/c is you. Competition costs. There is no end to it, there will be no end. No matter what rules are in place if there's an advantage to having the newest, cleanest, tightest, freshest, etc, equipment it will end up costing.

You might want to check that slipper setting and throttle expo which would really help save you some money on tires.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Tech Champion

thanks guys for the help. Much appreciated.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Racing can be expensive... BUT IT'S WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
B4Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to killer89

Perhaps you should stop using squares?

Seriously though, try using Xs and learn to practice on used tires. Perhaps you should trade that 6.5 for something a little less powerful as well.

Hit me up the next time you see me. I guarantee there aren't many more people that are bigger cheapskates than me
killer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

All in all this is not an expensive hobby. If any one knew how much I had tied up in Motorcycles your head would spin. Those tires are $175 rear $130 front and last less than 3,000 miles, or 3 track days.

I know its off topic but $20 for tires isnt all that bad, considering what it may cost you if you chose a different hobby.

Try a higher turn # motor and change your driving style. You dont need the fastest motor to be the fastest driver.

Tips that may help.

Try a different harder compound or different brand tire.

Loosen up your slipper clutch so the tires dont spin as much.

Use a slower motor, and drive more consistantly. It will more than likely improve on your lap times. With a slower motor you will not be spinning out as easily.

Try a higher pinion, it will be less torquey (sp) = less tire spin.

Dont mash the throttle - smooth on smooth off.

Thats all I have. Hope it helps.
OG RC 10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:54 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

If a majority of the people at the track have a problem with tire wear then perhaps you guys should try running the track wet. Tires last a whole lot longer on a wet track then a dry track. If the track has an on site hobby shop that sales lots of tires then odds are they won't have any desire to run a wet track.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote