Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to killer89

Its indoor clay. Wet doesn't work
killer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:26 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Then give these a try. Panther tires just out last the pro-lines.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNPV2&P=0

Is there any dust on this track? If it has a good groove in it then just run slicks.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNPY0&P=0

If the track doesn't have a groove then run the taper pin//hole shot style tire.

Picking out a compound is up to you. From my experience panthers do last a while and perform great.

If it get's dusty then I would run something like the panther switch. Perhaps you could send a picture of your track so we can see what kind of surface your running on? From the sound of things you need to pick up a set of slicks. Your running on clay which normally doesn't create much dust and there is tons of rubber being left on the track right? Sounds like the perfect conditions for slicks to me. As far as a sponsorship is concerned if the lhs doesn't carry panther tires then give panther a call and let them know that you heard their tires might last longer and you would like to give them a try so that you can convince your lhs to start carrying them. If there isn't an on site hobby shop then I would recommend perhaps getting w/ the track owner to discuss ways to run on a surface that is more budget friendly.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to killer89

Panthers are only better at socal when the track hasn't been watered overnight for many days. So only when its really dry.

Otherwise, Proline Holeshots, Square Fuzzies, or Losi pink Xs are the best.
killer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #19

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I've been racing for just over two years now (at national level) and have a few sponsorship arrangements. I have an understanding of what is required in order to firstly obtain sponsorship, and of course understand what a sponsor expects of me as a sponsored driver.

Let me tell you, it's not just about getting free gear and not coughing up for stuff. Usually a sponsor expects something in return. And it's usually promotion of their products, and perhaps some other general duties that you might carry out for your sponsor, in your area. (liaise with shops, deal with track banners, could be anything)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron View Post
Unfortunately, living in southern California is a HUGE obstacle in terms of finding sponsorship anymore.

Read this: http://www.undergroundrc.com/tuning/....aspx?uID=4288

The more you have to offer a company, the more likely you are to get help.
What James said is what makes a sponsored driver in many cases. You already know what a company wants to see in a driver. I cannot really think of any company that is interested in just giving out free product so a guy can afford to go club racing. If your racing nationally, or at the very minimum in large area series races that makes a big difference. Joe Schmoe club racer stands a very poor chance of getting sponsored. Companies are more focused on making their money work for them. Throwing free product out the door does little to help a company if it's in the wrong hands.

That's a great article Aaron posted. I think it's important that one thing anyone who is out sponsor hunting for realize is they need to start out being professional. PM'ing a sponsored driver or company owner, or sending out a random email with just a couple lines of text requesting a sponsorship won't cut it. You need a resume; you need to go about it the same way you would if you were going for a job.

Which brings up another point. Much like the job market, companies have people head hunting for talent. If you're out on the national level making a name for yourself sponsors will request your resume if they want to talk to you.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

A simple no, not at this time would be great. We rarely hear from people we contact. We have been trying for a while now to get sponsorship of some kind. I've seen some AE drivers act like jerks and they still drive for them, remember this year at Cactus Classic. He's a bad example for new racers since they learn from there actions.
desertraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:25 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

You could run a 4wd car (either gas or electric) they tend to go through tires slower due to less wheelspin. I would think that tire wear at most Socal gas tracks would be very light. I know Hemet was very easy on tires the last time I was there.

In 1/8 buggy I typically save new tires for big races like RC Pro Series, Gas Nats, etc. I then use my worn tires from big races for club racing. You can definitely be competitive in 1/8 at the club level with worn tires. I know that is not true in 2wd mod (or stock).

Of course switching from electric to nitro would have some initial cost and then there is the culture shock for the average electric racer to handle. If you are going through 4 sets of rear tires a night, the cost savings over time will be pretty good.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #22
Tech Regular

hes doing something wrong with his driving if he is doing 4 sets a night for club racing.

1 set should last you 6 heats EASY.
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

I used to run on a track where a new set of tires was always a lot faster than even a 1 run set of tires. This was running stock buggy. If you ran a set all night you were out to lunch in the main.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam View Post
hes doing something wrong with his driving if he is doing 4 sets a night for club racing.

1 set should last you 6 heats EASY.
At a track we ran at recently, my son had to use new front AND rear tires EVERY RUN. The surface was like 60-grit sandpaper. He runs 2wd mod and mod truck.
skysnake is offline   Reply With Quote