R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #61
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sport10 View Post
Also, there for a while the Losi 8ight was selling for 499.00 for a kit at most stores. I do believe that the price of some of these electric 4wd kits are getting kind of crazy.
A basic RTR quality Tamiya Dark Impact is $140. The Sb Acadamy is $240, the Kyosho Lazer is $330 (with the soon to be released RTR an even lower price), The Losi XXX-4 is $330. About the same price 4wd buggies have been for 2 decades. Sure, cars like the BJ4, Yokomo, and Tamiya are up there for price, but they are also made up of almost all machined graphite and aluminum. If you were to compare apples to apples....

The lastest Top of the line Kyosho 1/8th scale is $750, with most of the other top name brand buggies in the $600+ range. Now thats out of hand.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #62
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Location: Singapore ̡͌ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡V
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassrevo View Post
i think he was just using it for cost comparasons,
But my losi 8ight is electric.

Wow!! Looks really sweet...

I'm neither a Mod nor a Rocker. I'm a Mocker.

Viper R/C Solutions | Atomic Carbon CR2 LWB | Darth Tray | Losi 8IGHT 2.0-E | Tamiya TRF801X-E
Funkymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #63
Super Moderator

Location: Singapore ̡͌ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡V
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
Hi, my preference would be the pred family. But the number one spot goes to Tamiya Avante ( the old one ). Very inovative for it times. It been my favourite buggy since. With the best body shape in my view.
Yes it is definately one of the best looking buggies ever made..it was over engineered but looks awesome...the updated version, the Egress was really nice too and it handled better than the Avante...

I'm neither a Mod nor a Rocker. I'm a Mocker.

Viper R/C Solutions | Atomic Carbon CR2 LWB | Darth Tray | Losi 8IGHT 2.0-E | Tamiya TRF801X-E
Funkymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

thanks,
talk to Dan at www.rcproductdesigns.com he makes the conversion kits. It cost less to build then to build a nitro buggy and you get better performance and longer run time 20+ min on a charge.
I love it handles like a xx4 or a 501x and wont break!
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #65
Tech Fanatic

The BJ4WE is the best 4wd buggy available. IMHO
RC Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #66
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubb View Post
A basic RTR quality Tamiya Dark Impact is $140. The Sb Acadamy is $240, the Kyosho Lazer is $330 (with the soon to be released RTR an even lower price), The Losi XXX-4 is $330. About the same price 4wd buggies have been for 2 decades. Sure, cars like the BJ4, Yokomo, and Tamiya are up there for price, but they are also made up of almost all machined graphite and aluminum. If you were to compare apples to apples....

The lastest Top of the line Kyosho 1/8th scale is $750, with most of the other top name brand buggies in the $600+ range. Now thats out of hand.
That is why I said ""some electric 4wd buggies"!!! Yes, over $500.00 is too expensive for a 4wd electric kit no matter how many machined aluminum and graphite/carbon fiber parts are used.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #67
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

but then again,alot of the 1/8th buggies are minimal machined parts.they are mostly glorified stampings and molded plastic and they exceed 700 bucks for a rolling chassis.what makes that ok?because its bigger? quality is quality.no matter what the size.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:02 PM   #68
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jeff K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
but then again,alot of the 1/8th buggies are minimal machined parts.they are mostly glorified stampings and molded plastic and they exceed 700 bucks for a rolling chassis.what makes that ok?because its bigger? quality is quality.no matter what the size.
That's MSRP
Most rolling chassis go for around $500-$600 street price.

For electric though, anything over $500 and you should just go nitro.
Jeff K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:34 PM   #69
Tech Initiate

Well, I think personal preference prevail over the cost of a buggy. While some may think it expensive to spend $500 for a 1/10th buggy. Honestly, it still down to individual as each of us has their favorite. Anyway, those buggies that have more machining part on it will get more expensive, as raw material and machining cost has risen.

Now a day, most buggies have more or less conformed to two common layouts. Shaft driven or belt driven. While the rest of it component remain much the same all these years. I am wondering would there be any design break thru in the future?
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:28 AM   #70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
How awsome is that when the owners/designers are on the chat board supporting their products...

Brad Reelfs from Jconcepts (BradR)
Richard Weatherly from Tenth Technology (RWeatherley)
Dan Burnham from RC Product Designs (DJ1978)

I imagine we'll see Chazz from Xfactory to chime in anytime

Although I doubt we'll hear anything from Losi/Horizon or Tamiya reps. That kinda stuff lets you know who is looking out for their customers.
not yokomo either
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:34 AM   #71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
How awsome is that when the owners/designers are on the chat board supporting their products...

Brad Reelfs from Jconcepts (BradR)
Richard Weatherly from Tenth Technology (RWeatherley)
Dan Burnham from RC Product Designs (DJ1978)

I imagine we'll see Chazz from Xfactory to chime in anytime

Although I doubt we'll hear anything from Losi/Horizon or Tamiya reps. That kinda stuff lets you know who is looking out for their customers.
Yeah that's great if it was all they did, but they can't seem to help themselves coming on threads like this and "talking up" their products like second rate salesmen

It's funny, this thread asks "What is the best 4wd electric buggy?" and they all seem to think it's their buggy - so at the very least two of them are wrong, and are therefore either lying or delusional
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:09 AM   #72
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender View Post
It's funny, this thread asks "What is the best 4wd electric buggy?" and they all seem to think it's their buggy - so at the very least two of them are wrong, and are therefore either lying or delusional
Isn't that what almost every person on this thread has done? Almost every person's opinion can be summarized by, "This is the car I have, so it's the best." Of course everyone thinks that their car is the best. If they didn't feel that way, they would have bought (or designed) something different.

The whole purpose of these forums is for people to share information and opinions. Unfortunately, some people just use them as a means to anonymously bash others.
BradR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:27 AM   #73
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pininfarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymojo View Post
The Academy SB V2, JConcepts BJ4 standard edition, Losi XXX-4, RC Products Designs TC3 O V2 and even the Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 will all take stick packs. The Xfactory X-5 will not take a stick pack, it will not even take 3x3 saddle packs...it only takes 4x2 saddle packs...That's the whole idea behind the X-5's perfect weight balance...
prefect weight balance? not sure about that

anyway, everyone have different tastes, I for the matter of fact like the ease of stick pack/lipo lithium ..and ease of mtce on the buggies I've XXX4G+, TRF501X, ZX5, avante..etc

I've run my zx5 without any issues since, only the norm wear on the gears suffering from my powerful brushless...

so zx5 got my vote for being a good 4wd, I can only vote on those buggies that I've

still waiting for D4 or Bj4 to come in, maybe then it's different story?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:59 AM   #74
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pininfarina View Post
prefect weight balance? not sure about that
That is the reason Xfactory stated why they went to the 4x2 saddle pack. It was to try and get the perfect balance with their X-5.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:54 AM   #75
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradR View Post
Isn't that what almost every person on this thread has done? Almost every person's opinion can be summarized by, "This is the car I have, so it's the best." Of course everyone thinks that their car is the best. If they didn't feel that way, they would have bought (or designed) something different.

The whole purpose of these forums is for people to share information and opinions. Unfortunately, some people just use them as a means to anonymously bash others.
Any company representative that comes on threads like these to blatantly spread biased propaganda about "their" car deserves all the "bashing" they get

Yes, individual drivers may be guilty of the same thing, but I would expect anyone representing a manufacturer to be a little more mature, and honest.
It appears both foolish and childish to just sprout "the company line" at the drop of a hat - or are people that gullible nowadays that they'll buy a car simply because someone told them it was the best?

Surely, some honesty is not too difficult for anyone is it?

It becomes very tiresome to read comments made by manufacturers or team drivers where everything about "their" car is perfect, and everything about the opposition's car is rubbish. If this were truly the case then there would only ever be 1 competitive car in each scale.

Manufacturers DO have a place where they can go and help drivers, share information etc - and that is their own dedicated support threads.
There's something that's just not right about company rep's prowling forums looking for a quick product placement

Anyway, rant over - I drive a 501X, and would be only too pleased to tell anyone about all of the cars good points, AND, all of the cars bad points - I challenge the company rep's to do the same
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote