R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-27-2007, 04:26 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Smile First timer!!!Can anyone help choose a car?

Hey you all, I'm as new to r/c cars as you can get. I seriously don't know anything about these cars . Actually, I just got done reading a couple of r/c car action magazines. I would really like to learn about these cars before I buy one. I saw my buddy's friend using one the other day and I have to have one.

I'd like to put one together instead of buying one that is ready to go out of the box. What are your suggestions? Looking for one that goes fast and takes jumps real well (nitro 1/8 scale). Truck or car? The one I saw was a car. Do cars preform better than trucks? 2WD or 4WD?

I'm willing to spend up to about $1500 for everything. I will have many more ?'s in the upcoming threads. I don't want to over do it on my first thread.

All suggestions are welcome!!!!!
migsgolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:30 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to chris_mtb

cars and trucks and buggies are totally different
would you prefer on or off road
nitro or electric
do you want to race or bash also your best to put this into the rookie section just ask a mod nicely to move it
chris_mtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Looking for either off road nitro 1/8 scale buggy or truck. Not sure whick one is better for speed and jumping. I want to bash and eventually race.

Who and how do I ask mod to move me to the rookie section?
migsgolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:10 AM   #4
Tech Regular

go with a truggy

the losi 8-t would be a good choice
http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Def...rodID=LOSB0083

its a RTR and its already built, but for a first timer, it will do the job very well. if you want to build one yourself, you will have to spend out he big money
myk505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:57 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

for that kind of money you're beter off going for a 1/8 truggy. the HPI hellfire is supposed to be quite good... i can't tell you i havn't got anything yet...
Old 05-27-2007, 06:10 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to kúv!n

With a truggy you get the best of both worlds, from truck and buggy. But before you start thinking fast you need to think about how easy is it going to be to control and get familiar with?

Kev
kúv!n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have the jammin cars the buggy is the cr and the truggy is the crt
there is rtr packages and pro kits of both of them the buggy even comes
with a nice factory option pro kit called the factory team edition or ( CR FTE )
i have been race for a few years and have been a basher a few years before that. now I don't bash much at all had I am really into racing What brands do you like? there are a few good options the big ones are
Jammin
mugen
losi
kyosho
from a combo point of view racing and bashing
the jammins seam to be built tougher and still do very well for racing
most of the upper end stuff you will have to mail order anyway but it never hurts to see what your local hobby store stocks for crash parts.
good luck

1/8 buggy or truggy you cant go wrong
cya tony
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

i also have jammin buggy, and truggy...however if i were a beginner that knows what i know now i would have started with a 1/8 buggy, and most likly i would have started with a nice, but lower priced kit something like the Xray XB8R, its a great kit for the money tons of upgrades, can be bashed, and is a great racer...with a price tag of less than $350 for the kit....team it up with a budget minded .21, for around $150-$200, and toss in a good 2.4 radio system like the spectrum DX3.0 for under $250, and the rest of the needed basics to get started bump box, glow igniter, rx battery, tires, fuel bottle (i may have forgot something) for about anothrer $200, and for $900-$950 you will have a great buggy for on and off the track...

jason

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES

OCM RACING DT-19 EVO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED

OCM RACING DT-19T PRO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk505
go with a truggy

the losi 8-t would be a good choice
http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Def...rodID=LOSB0083

its a RTR and its already built, but for a first timer, it will do the job very well. if you want to build one yourself, you will have to spend out he big money
I would go with that one. - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13687
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:07 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy

Only thing bad about RTR's is you do not get to pickout your own components - engine, radio, servos, etc.. Something to think of. Plus, I enjoy putting a kit together. The only one I put together was the Losi 8ight Buggy and it was piece of cake and fun. Really, I did enjoy it. Now, I know how to fix or do maintenance on it. I plan on racing it.

Manny
Old 05-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

If you're just starting out a Sportwerks buggy is a good starter 1/8 scale buggy. But if you're a serious racer get an Xray XB8 EC.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:00 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannEdge
Only thing bad about RTR's is you do not get to pickout your own components - engine, radio, servos, etc.. Something to think of. Plus, I enjoy putting a kit together. The only one I put together was the Losi 8ight Buggy and it was piece of cake and fun. Really, I did enjoy it. Now, I know how to fix or do maintenance on it. I plan on racing it.

Manny
but we have to remember that this guy is new and just starting, and he can get a fairly good truggy without having to spend heaps.

although in the long run it is better to get all the better stuff from the start, so that you wont have to upgrade later on.
myk505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:59 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Welcome to the wonderful world of rc cars. It's an addiciton for some, but not me. I could quit any time I want, really, I could.

Never forget the big lie that is RTR. In order to sell a fully equipped car for about the same as a pro level kit, component quality has to be reduced. Besides the obvious throwaway electronics and PITA pullstart engine/pipe, this is typically done with stamped parts rather than (stronger) machined units for the chassis and shock towers, lower quality chassis braces, shocks, turnbuckles, diff gears, drives, etc., etc. Losi and Sportwerks have raised the bar with decent transmitters, but their servos are still crap.

With your budget of $1500 you can get a pro level kit and components and avoid all the frustration associated with an RTR constantly breaking down.

If you are wanting a tough kit, the CEN Matrix FRE buggy or truggy are about the toughest going these days. The rougher the track the better they like it. An OS 21VG and Dynamite 063 hard coated pipe, OFNA chrome top starter box, an Airtronics MX3 or Spektrum radio, a pair of HD analog servos, and a good receiver pack/charger can all be bought with plenty of money left over for fancy paintjobs, extra wheels and tires, rechargable batteries for your transmitter, tools, etc., etc.

Being new to rc cars, bite the bullet and buy everything new. Used gear can be a real bargin, or a total waste of money, and the only way to know the difference is experience. A trusted friend who can help you is the only way you should consider used gear. It wouldn't hurt to use a local shop provided they have a knowledgeable staff and decent prices, but sadly, shops with both of these qualities are few and far between these days.

Last of all, don't let anyone talk you into a pull or shaft starter! I promise you will be much happier with a bumpbox.

Oh, and one last thing, don't forget to have fun!!
fhm555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:38 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk505
but we have to remember that this guy is new and just starting, and he can get a fairly good truggy without having to spend heaps.

although in the long run it is better to get all the better stuff from the start, so that you wont have to upgrade later on.
I am a newbie and I have done a lot of research. The RTR's have a lot different features than their kits - the kit has better parts. I plan to race

Manny