R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #211
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Do the novak ESCs have the ability to connect to a PC? I know that would be a cool thing to have for racing, you can really fine tune them.

Only time I see any cogging is in my 1/8 setup, and thats when I try to creep the throttle from a dead stop, and this is a none issue with the neu motors.

As for 1/10 scale setup, my first mamba had an initial cog till I changed 1 setting. Then, no cog ever again. next mamba, no cog again.

System is so tunable I could have full low end control so I wouldn't spin out, or tune it to throw rooster tails.

Other than the location of the USB port and the size, the unit is excellent for the money. If castle decided to make a pure race ESC, that doesn't need a fan, look out.
Spent 3 years racing with the Schulze U-Force 75 that is the finest sensorless ESC you can buy that I will also remind everyone that Castle made a good attempt to copy it with the Mamba. The Schulze had the PC hook up that I used a little, but still the sensorless Schulze is not as smooth as a sensored Novak system.

A good high end radio like a Futaba 3PK or Aitronics M11 is like having the PC in your hand to tune with while on the track and not running back and forth trying to get a cog out with the Mamba on a PC!!! No need for a computer with the Novak, it is already smooth and needs very little adjustment for racing purposes.
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #212
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxtruck View Post
anybody with the Tekin system yet ?
Yes I have one in my T4, ran it with a 10.5 novak so far it's good.

Just put a 5.5 in that would not work on a novak controler due to sensor problem. Runs fine on the R1.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:22 PM   #213
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

has anyone been able to do a 20 minute race with nimh cells?
shonuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #214
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

You may be able to wire up nimh cells in parallel. However, I would advise against it. Just pick up a lipo or a123 pack & a charger, it will be worth it in the long run.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #215
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
Spent 3 years racing with the Schulze U-Force 75 that is the finest sensorless ESC you can buy that I will also remind everyone that Castle made a good attempt to copy it with the Mamba. The Schulze had the PC hook up that I used a little, but still the sensorless Schulze is not as smooth as a sensored Novak system.

A good high end radio like a Futaba 3PK or Aitronics M11 is like having the PC in your hand to tune with while on the track and not running back and forth trying to get a cog out with the Mamba on a PC!!! No need for a computer with the Novak, it is already smooth and needs very little adjustment for racing purposes.

Never had a need for the computer on the mamba, I changed the setting manually. Was very smooth.

May give the Novak a try if they make a unit that doesn't need to use a fan, and no not because the rotor upgrade whatever means you don't need it, I want one out of the box that has NO fan included at all, and not because they want you to buy it later. wonder if the R1 does this?

Anyway, how is the 1/10 scale truck class going Craps? You doing any 4wd running there too?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #216
Tech Adept

this protruck is really something i want to try this coming year, what lipos and chargers should i be looking at.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:44 AM   #217
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

8000 max amps or thunder power 7.5 motor and speed control. I perfer Novak but their are other brands out there.
xxxtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:11 AM   #218
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So, we're getting ready to all run lipos here. The discussion is what size of battery to limit for stock racing. The LHS owner says there is a significant difference from a 5000 7.4 to a 6000 7.4. What are your experiences? I don't think there would be much difference if one guy had a 6k and another guy had a 5k. But I'm learning here too. So please let me know your thoughts.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:42 AM   #219
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
So, we're getting ready to all run lipos here. The discussion is what size of battery to limit for stock racing. The LHS owner says there is a significant difference from a 5000 7.4 to a 6000 7.4. What are your experiences? I don't think there would be much difference if one guy had a 6k and another guy had a 5k. But I'm learning here too. So please let me know your thoughts.
The difference is run time and that is not an advantage unless you are running a long race where the 6000 will have more run time than the 5000.

I would rather see tracks require a minimum li-po capacity of at 6000 mahs to keep from having problems charging. I see most of the accidents have come from the batteries under 5000 mahs. I have yet to hear or see any problems with anybody racing with at least 6000 mah batteries. The batteries can take alot more in abuse and discharging because they are bigger capacity.
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #220
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

IMO battery abuse is not tied to mAh. Running them below voltage, charging them to above voltage or at 2C+ sure insn't a great idea. With more mAh it just takes longer to get to either extreme.

I guess with larger mAh packs it could be argued that you are less likely to get to the low voltage danger zone, but it could also be argued that because of the greater capacity the desire to charge faster (I.E. 2C+) increases making it more likely to get you to the high voltage danger zone.

IMO most batteries perform as intended when the directions are followed and a little caution and common sense is applied; plus using proper charging equipment and a voltage cutoff if you absolutely must run your packs and get every last second possible out of them (I personnaly just get another pack at that point; cost is still cheaper than NiMh with longer life and easier to care for).

The biggest thing right now that I wonder about for all the higher mAh packs is that I don't see any that have a "hard case" and from the ROAR discussions that I have seen on here, this may end up a requirement at ROAR events (not that I have ever raced at a true ROAR event).

Anyway... just some of my personal thoughts and opinions.
slakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #221
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxtruck View Post
8000 max amps or thunder power 7.5 motor and speed control. I perfer Novak but their are other brands out there.
any mods needed to fit this in an electric truck?
Old 12-01-2007, 05:03 PM   #222
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I think you need to raise the battery strap since the 8000mah is taller.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #223
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

cain is right I have run T4 and xxxt with 8000 all you have to do is raise up battery bar. Not hard to do on either truck
xxxtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:18 AM   #224
Tech Adept

cool. that is what i will do then
Old 12-02-2007, 12:40 AM   #225
Tech Fanatic

So is this class going to be at the Nats again? Since it is going to be out here at Hot Rod I may have to give it a try. I am already sold on BL and LIPo anyway.
" Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn"
tcmerf is offline   Reply With Quote