R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Keeping the dust down ideas

I live up here in a semi arid desert climate and we get very little rain. Also we have some tight water restrictions. We do water during race days but not on any other days. The soil has excellent traction when damp, you have to be careful of traction rolls.
I just had an idea of using a dust treatment, in the old days they used use motor oil (or something similar) to treat dusty roads. Now I believe they use something more enviro friendly possibly mineral oil?
Has anyone heard of anyone using something like this to combat the dust? One drawback I thought of to this is once you put the stuff down, you wouldnt want to change the track or excavate it as the "oil" treatment would be thinned out.

Any comments appreciated.
kamlooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Calcium, look into it.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Calcium Chloride --> http://www.peterschemical.com/calciu...cium-chloride/ . That should help you learn a little more about what it does. We have used in on BMX tracks to help hold moisture so the track will pack better. We have a lot of Clay in our soil and it does hold the moisture very well... however it makes a rock hard crust on the top that makes it very hard to drag and smooth out the track. Our RC offroad track director has used it before but doesn't anymore. I think because of the reason I mentioned.. but I can't remember for sure.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if you really hate dust attatch a dustbuster to the front of each car or go over the track with a vacuum cleaner...
Old 05-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by padailey
Calcium Chloride --> http://www.peterschemical.com/calciu...cium-chloride/ . That should help you learn a little more about what it does. We have used in on BMX tracks to help hold moisture so the track will pack better. We have a lot of Clay in our soil and it does hold the moisture very well... however it makes a rock hard crust on the top that makes it very hard to drag and smooth out the track. Our RC offroad track director has used it before but doesn't anymore. I think because of the reason I mentioned.. but I can't remember for sure.
We used the old push broom at my old bmx tracks, along w/ water. ...the brooming will get most of the dust of..til next time... ..man that was like 20 years ago!!!! that is what got me started in RC's seeing any old kyoso burns 1/8th buggy at a bmx race one time.
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
http://thunder.rc50.com/
SMC - Customer Service 2nd to None! (thanks Dan!!)
speedsterblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Won't the Calcium Chloride cause metal parts to oxidize/rust? I think a local track used that before and all the metal parts on my buggy are rusted now.
Lost Aggresiva is offline   Reply With Quote