R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to ChrisE
Default Getting back into the hobby need some help

After about a 3 year break from the hobby, I am now wanting to get back into it. Prior to taking a break, I raced a Losi XXX-4 (non graphite kit) with an Orion 12x2, Integy 3000s, Novak GT7 esc, and JR XR3 radio gear.

After sitting for 3 years, are my 3000 mah NIMH's still good to use or will I need to get new batteries? I really dont know if they were discharged before I put them away or if they were charged up.

I know that brushless and Li-Pos are the in thing now. That being said, would it be best to sell the Gt7 ESC and Orion 12x2 and get a novak brushless setup along with Li-Pos?

Im just trying to decide what will be the most cost effective thing to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

a 3 year old 12x2 wont compete with motors now. your batts might be ok, btu might be crap. a lot depends on if the ywere 1- discharged, 2- kept in good condition, and 3-how many times were they run. as for power and motor set up. i have to say go brushless. maybe not lipo, btu brushless deffinetly. it will buy itself over time and will be the most powerful motor you will ever buy. as for what you use. i suggest LRP vectors or the mamba max systems. mambas have a little more torque to the mive heard. and the LRP/Reedy are great motors. i use a reedy.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

the batts are more than likely bad. but the motor as long as it was a good one it will be fine. if anything use it to get back in to the swing of things.
yeaklet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If cost effective is really your main objective and your track allows LiPo's, I'd definitely go with the Brushless/LiPo combo. 1 - $140 LiPo pack is the only battery you need. As soon as you finish marshalling the heat after yours, you start recharging the battery for the next round. Compare this to 4-5 matched 4200's at $70 apiece. Also, you don't have to discharge, cycle, etc. to keep the LiPo in 'race' condition.

In 4wd, brushless is almost a necessity. Motors are always harder to get in an out of the car for maintenance and brushless gives you more power than you need. It's almost 'Set it and forget it'. No cutting comms, no replacing brushes, etc. If your time is worth any money it's exponentially more cost effective!!!

Personally, I've had super luck with the LRP Sphere competitions. The biggest reasons I prefer them over Novak are the size and the fact you don't have to rewire, reprogram, etc. when switching between brushed and brushless (I occasionally still race stock classes).

The biggest drawback to the LiPos are the lack of weight. I've actually added about 4 ounces to the bottom of the LiPo so that I can still work with my friends' car set-ups. Some might consider this a huge advantage, but it's going to be a whole new setup if you run that much lighter.

Shane
glitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

It would probaly be best to go brushless but if you want you should check out the team check point motors...there are great motors and last a long time between cuts and rebuilds
K.Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

First look into getting some parts off the G+ version of this car to make it more durable. The graphite front arms and shock towers are a must. You also might want to get a aluminum front pivot brace and HD belt drive kit too. The Orion 12x2 will be fine for now along as it is in good condition. You might want to upgrade to a lower turn mod or brushless later though. For batteries if they have been setting around for 3 years I doubt they are still good. I would recommend getting some IB4200 packs from someone like promatch. The lipo is an alternative but not legal on alot of tracks and not at Roar sactioned events.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchy
If cost effective is really your main objective and your track allows LiPo's, I'd definitely go with the Brushless/LiPo combo. 1 - $140 LiPo pack is the only battery you need. As soon as you finish marshalling the heat after yours, you start recharging the battery for the next round. Compare this to 4-5 matched 4200's at $70 apiece. Also, you don't have to discharge, cycle, etc. to keep the LiPo in 'race' condition.

In 4wd, brushless is almost a necessity. Motors are always harder to get in an out of the car for maintenance and brushless gives you more power than you need. It's almost 'Set it and forget it'. No cutting comms, no replacing brushes, etc. If your time is worth any money it's exponentially more cost effective!!!

Personally, I've had super luck with the LRP Sphere competitions. The biggest reasons I prefer them over Novak are the size and the fact you don't have to rewire, reprogram, etc. when switching between brushed and brushless (I occasionally still race stock classes).

The biggest drawback to the LiPos are the lack of weight. I've actually added about 4 ounces to the bottom of the LiPo so that I can still work with my friends' car set-ups. Some might consider this a huge advantage, but it's going to be a whole new setup if you run that much lighter.

Shane
actually do not go brushless. it will be way to fast for you if you right now. which you want to do is get power to the ground insted of balooning your tires up and slinding around.
Mitch P. is offline   Reply With Quote