which 4wd to get???XXX4 or Mr4bc2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which 4wd to get???XXX4 or Mr4bc2

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 07:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Fire...I know the B4 is a 2wd buggy...I talked to Mike Reedy at the Losi Race and he said that AE is working on a 4wd model of the B4...He called it the B44...Not sure what that mean but he did say it would be close to a year in the making.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Just get the schumacher cat 3000 I don't have one, but heard alot of good things about it. Very competitive
Old 05-06-2003, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Location: Time to put down the Golf clubs and poker chips and GO RACIN!

When is the xxx4 G+ comming out?
Old 05-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default is that a good idea?

Salutations Earthlings!
XXX4G+ ?
there is already someone on line making machined delrin to make it less prone to breakage.
i cannot imagine the kind of wear and tear you'll incur with all that graphite.
a graphite chassis is fine i guess, but definately not arms and towers ....
methinks.
-FP
Old 05-06-2003, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

I make the front arms of Delrin

www.DPMRacing.com

The graphite seems to be much more prone to break than the plastic. I also have the Team PRP Backbones and have yet to break an arm.

The car can be made durable enough with a few parts, but will always be a little more prone to break because it's 4wd. Heavier, can be driven harder, and more parts.

4wd is not a good class for any novice to get started with. Learn with 2wd buggy or truck and then advance to 4wd.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

I have the chassis, it seems to be quite strong. Also, its stiffer. It seems a lil faster on conering.

I doubled up on the plastic shocktowers, I wouldnt get graphite shocktowers or A arms. The xxx-4 is pretty weak but by far the fastest offroad vehicle I have ever driven.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default THAT IS GOOD FEEDBACK!

Salutations Earthlings!
thanks for the feedback!
i like to hear about your honest experiences with the car itself , stuff like parts breakage, wear, effects on handling blah blah.
i think Losi made an excellent car with the XXX4, but i've heard that the 1 belt transmission makes the car feel more subdued and "dead" compared to cars like cat3000 and yokes with one way bearings... these other cars tend to be more aggressive in turnings but lose out in the straight.
what do you guys think?
have you felt the same way driving the XXX4?
-FP
Old 05-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

Ive personally never drivin a xxx-4 with a oneway, but have driven the xxx-s with one. It feels just the same as with any other belt car. The only thing is the CAT 3000 is more efficient on the belt, that is mabe what you are feeling the difference in.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

looking at the durango it seems to have a slipper clutch (there seems to be a spring behind the spur)???
Old 10-23-2003, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

I reckon the CAT 3000 is the way to go. That said, it would be ignorant to rule out the Yok BC Special - it's doing pretty well with Neil Cragg at the wheel (or should that be sticks?) - he's won the BRCA AND the European Chamionship with it!! He could be a worlds contender - watch out Losi. Then again, he could probably do just as well with a Cat 3000 or XXX4. ;o)

I have reservations about shaft driven cars for off road use. The Durango maybe good - but look at the price!!! That guy is extracting the urine. No way it's worth that sort of money. He must be laughing all the way to the bank.

I've seen some other prototype shaft driven cars based on the TC3 tranny with prototype white plastic bits etc. The tranny kept breaking all season, end of story. Now I know TTech Preds did well, but they were very labour intensive and parts failed regularly - I know, cos I owned a P8. The team drivers used to change the gears every 2 or 3 meetings and have 'several' spare chassis to hand for when the holes for the gear cases stripped!!! Not my idea of fun.

My CAT 3000 on the other hand is absolutely brilliant - spares next day, reliable, efficient, easy to work on and with superb handling. With tune up parts, the CAT 3000 is not only an awesome machine, but a truely desirable bit of kit.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RAT check out AE website, right after the worlds they showed pictures of new 4x4, This protype ran in the worlds (pictures of chassis in racing forum,posted by Racer-Chick) Cool looking off road buggy...
Old 11-11-2003, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

do you have a link for the associated 4wd?