Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Setup for tight carpet track [XX-4]? >

Setup for tight carpet track [XX-4]?

Setup for tight carpet track [XX-4]?

Old 04-12-2003, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Default Setup for tight carpet track [XX-4]?

I have just quite happily gotten a used XX-4 with Graphite chassis, rear arms, and blue aluminum front bulkhead. It came with pink springs rear, green front, both ends set to minimum ride height. I think this is a good starting setup, but the front end is far too soft and the rear is a little too stiff. It seems like this thing could steer TOO well. It also included a purple spur gear [would this work?] and a blue aluminum rear something [it gives the car a slight toe-in. I know it's a tuning option. Might be a caster block]. I don't know about the shock oil. It felt a little like 30 weight or so. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated if somebody could help me with this.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

Steers very well. Does anybody have an idea of what to use with a 15 dbl. on a small carpet track? There are many turns, but I've got that covered. The only reason that guys beating me now is because he has better gearing. I run a 16 pinion, purple spur. 30-35 top end. Does anyone know how many teeth are on a purple spur? Please respond.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

The things I thought were caster blocks are the arm mounts[bulkheads, pivots].
Old 04-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Tech Adept

I just ran a 22 tooth pinion. It was going at least 40 mph when I launched at off the curb. It went about 9 ft. forward, 3 feet high. I now use a 19 tooth pinion. I still need setup tips, but haven't gotten any. C'mon, get off your butt and help me.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

...whore... lol j/k
Old 05-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

C'mon people. Get off your butts and reply. I know that there are plenty of [lazy] people who own a XX-4 on this forum.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Tech Adept

Good one, Randman.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

I don't have a xx-4 but I can tell you that the only way to find the perfect ratio is to test. Run it through 1 battery pack and you should be able to touch the motor for 3 seconds and that will be the perfect ratio
Old 05-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Tech Adept

Thanx. Will adding some 80 wt. oil improve steering by reducing roll resistance? This helped my E-Maxx TONS, and I'd like to try it on my buggy. Remember, TIGHT CARPET TRACK!
Old 05-06-2003, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

try getting the lightesst tires, lower your ride highth, and get a little radio that puts the guys radio frequincy.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

because the track is so tight you might want to get the highest downforce wing and side dams. also try mini spike/pin tires. Now it comes down to the tiny adjustments. hard wire motor and batts, put traction compound on your tires. on 5 min races use 24 degrees timing (only for mod motors) get a gm non reversible, get graphite chassis parts, if you still use bushings get bearings, gewt pro ball diffs, get big bore shocks, try tuning your shocks to your driving style, get mip cvds.

To practice turning on the inside, try to drive as close to the edge of a circle on a basketball court.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

Still wondering if the 80 wt. oil will help.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

It might cause it to turn a bit quicker but I think it will greaten your chance of breaking something and you might spin out easier.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

I broke my front shock tower when my buggy landed upside down from a 50-50 grind. Dumbest thing I've ever done.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Got a Graphite replacement on thursday. Now I need to install the graphite front arms and I'll have all the graphite parts except rear arm mounts. I moved all of the shock mounts to the outer hole on towers, A-arms, improved high speed handling a bit. Does anyone know about aluminum rear bulkheads for the XX-4?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.