R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-12-2003, 08:07 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to B3boy
Arrow Stupid Curbs... I had a runaway

it makes me so mad, i just got my new FR12 broken in and i was begining to get the needles tuned leaner for performance. I was driving around the school so i obviously attracted a crowd and i was showing off some,

then i hit a curb, dont ask me how, cause i don't know. I knew right were i was driving it and then this dumb curb grows up from the ground right in front of my car.

well, it knoked of the throttle linkage. i wasn't using a throttle return spring cause i lost mine and couldn't wait to run my car.

it speed of with me runing after it and it hit another curb and the pipe flew of somehow and the car flipped on its back. the engine revved really high and the sound was loud without the pipe.
it went for about 5 seconds then it died out cause it was upside down i think

I wanted to know if this cause much dammage. If it did, is it permanent to the engine? of can it be like new with a new piston and sleeve.

thanks
jake
B3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 08:56 AM   #2
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default Re: Stupid Curbs... I had a runaway

Quote:
Originally posted by B3boy

well, it knoked of the throttle linkage. i wasn't using a throttle return spring cause i lost mine and couldn't wait to run my car.

You should have waited, it would have saved you some cash... You dont deserve to get flamed for this or anything, it is a mistake that a lot of people have made, you just got anxious, I know how it goes. As for the engine, you propably did suffer some internal damage, when you flip the car upside down, your fuel goes away, and you are left with whatever is in the fuel line at the time. As you start to get bubbles in the fuel line, you are losing just that much fuel, and the fuel is what has the lubrication. This means you are running the engine extremely lean without lubrication, and we all know thats gonna hurt. I would expect you needing a new piston/sleeve out of this, but you may want to check out the tolerances on your con rod, make sure it still has a tight fit on the crankshaft.

When you go out and get your throttle return spring, be sure you put it on the throttle arm itself, rather than the servo, that way if the linkage does pop off again, your carb will still get shut. Good luck!
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:55 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to B3boy

ok thanks
that helps some
but other bad news, i noticed that my chassis is bent! it must have been a really hard collision. Luckily it was all in the front where it doesn't affect the engine and stuff, but it still sucks cause i gota buy a new one! and a piston and sleeve too!!!! i wanna break stuff!!

now i got another question
I was just out running my car and i was trying to tune it right

the signs were showing it was rich:
lots of smoke
pinche the fuel line and it goes for a while
boggs down when accelerating from idle
isn't greatly fast

I have the MIP temp gauge and I tested to see its accuracy in boiling water which is 212. It showed 200. then when it was 50 outside it said 55.
while i was running, (i still thought it was on the rich side) i was doing some pretty high speed runs back and forth but only for about 3-4 seconds long each.
then i brought it in and looked at the temp and it was 287! I quickly put some spit on it but it just fizzled ad didn't like fly and pop and stuff. if it was that hot it wasn't for long and i looked at the glow plug and it didn't show any signs of being too hot. (ie burned or pushed back into the hole.)

so what does anybody think of all this? is my engine totally screwed up threw all this stuff? can my chassis be bent back into place or would it be better to get a new one. I wish i could buy a titanium one, that would be trick, but they are way too expensive. like over 100 bucks.

I can't believe how much crappy luck i have been getting, it makes me so frustrated. but i guess everybody get their new stuff screwed up some time or another, its just part of learning

thanks
jake
B3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 06:31 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Default Stupid People... I had a runaway

Lession #1: NEVER RUN YOUR NITRO CAR/TRUCK WITHOUT A THROTTLE RETURN SPRING, NEVER!

Every Second that your engine is at elevated temperatures (+270F), you risk damaging it and shorting it's life.

The MIP Temperature Gauges are usually off by 5-10%, but are better than nothing.

Stop hitting things and your Car will be fine.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote