R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Lipo battery pack for M8

Hey guys, I am getting a used M8 with Spektrum and I was wondering if someone makes a Lipo pack for the M8? I saw on A-Main had some for the M11 but saw nothing for the M8.
NOT a member of Team Terribles!
d4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to insaneracin2003

I am thinking they would be the same battery pack for both. I would call them and find out for sure though.
Mugen Seiki USA / Mikes Hobby Shop / Byrons Fuels / Gulf Coast Raceway / Insaneracin Designs / Paint by "Smiley"
insaneracin2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I own an M-11. I've seen M-8s but never held one. I assume that their battery compartment is the same but I'm not 100% sure.

This is the lipo that I use:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLB1035

It's snug, but it fits. Personally, I'd advise going to your LHS and bring your radio with. You're looking for an 11.1v lipo that has the highests mAh rating that you can afford and will fit in your radio. It's a pretty shallow compartment, so shop wisely. 3S lipos tend to be thick. Also, don't waste your money on the high-discharge packs that crank out 15C or above... if used strictly for your radio, you don't need the high output.

You'll be spending $50 ~ $75. But totally worth the money. Lipos crank out constant voltage forever... I recharge it once every 4 ~ 6 weeks! ...and I use my radio twice a week for club racing and on other days for messing around!
Mr.Maim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Mr Maim, thanks for the advise.

I checked out your battery online and I gotta say, thats alot of plugs/cords to stuff in there. But if it works, more power to ya. One guy at my track has a Lipo tx battery setup in his M11, so I might check it out and see what he did. I dont have my radio in hand yet and was thinking of doing this down the road. What do you use to charge that battery?
NOT a member of Team Terribles!
d4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trashedmaxx

The pack for the m11 and m8 are different. not the same plug/configuration.

VXR racing sells a lipo for the m8.
VXRRACING.com
trashedmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

That VXR pack looks pretty good, Team Brood sells 'em for $40. I'm looking at getting one but not sure how to charge it, anybody got info on a trickle charger for it? I don't have a lipo charger yet.
Eric Tomczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

what happens if you forget to turn off the controller and it stays on and completely draings the lipo's, wouldnt that cause problems?
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

yeah they say not to go below 9.0 volts with it.
Eric Tomczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jobo_ph Send a message via Skype™ to jobo_ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam
what happens if you forget to turn off the controller and it stays on and completely draings the lipo's, wouldnt that cause problems?
I guess you know that overdischarging a Lipo can make them dead.

On a slightly different note, I got this for my 3PK recently and it says it has over-charge and over-discharge protection circuitry.

I'm not really willing to intentionally find out if the over-discharge protection works or not. I might one day forget to turn off my radio (or accidentally get turned on) so it's some peace of mind that there is something that will hopefully protect the Lipo cells.
Orion/Yuntong/Maxamps Lipo * AMB #6655738
jobo_ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobo_ph

On a slightly different note, I got this for my 3PK recently and it says it has over-charge and over-discharge protection circuitry.

I'm not really willing to intentionally find out if the over-discharge protection works or not. I might one day forget to turn off my radio (or accidentally get turned on) so it's some peace of mind that there is something that will hopefully protect the Lipo cells.
Had I known that this was out there, I could have bought two for what I paid for my pack.
Mr.Maim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:14 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobo_ph

that is the same pack i just ordered 2 days ago for my m11. awsome price and it was the best deal i could find. any problems with it so far?
Buggy Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jobo_ph Send a message via Skype™ to jobo_ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggy Master
that is the same pack i just ordered 2 days ago for my m11. awsome price and it was the best deal i could find. any problems with it so far?
Hello, Buggy Master, as I had only acquired the Orca TX Lipo batt recently, I had only used it for one race day so far (I run 3 EP off-road classes). So, it's too short a period to really evaluate it. No problems so far and I hope it stays that way for a long time .

Yep, great price which is only slightly higher than an assembled 8-9 TX NiMH AA cells.

No foam spacers came with the Orca TX Lipo batt so you have to source/cut your own so that it will be snug in the battery compartment and will not move around while using your TX.

I never actually weighed the TX Lipo batt versus the 8 NiMH AA cells but the Orca TX Lipo batt did not feel that much lighter than the 8 NiMH AA cells.

I also got myself Futaba TX/RX charge leads (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXL332&P=ML) to minimize handling the TX Lipo batt (I'm afraid I might drop it when I always have to remove it from the batt compartmentto charge).

I received this item in the mail yesterday, so, even though I didn't need to charge the TX Lipo batt, I just had to test the TX charge lead.
Orion/Yuntong/Maxamps Lipo * AMB #6655738
jobo_ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:35 AM   #13
Tech Addict

I use HT Batteries........the whole pack and charger setup is $95 I think. It will do an entire race meeting in 8th scale....