Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BATTERY PROBLEMS!! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default BATTERY PROBLEMS!! HELP!!

i have a venom 3600 mah nimh sport pack and it will not seem to keep my xxx-t(completely stock) running for more than a minute. i thought it was a dead battery but when i went to charge it, it said it still had voltage. i am stumped and could use all the help i could get. thanks alot!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TH691
i have a venom 3600 mah nimh sport pack and it will not seem to keep my xxx-t(completely stock) running for more than a minute. i thought it was a dead battery but when i went to charge it, it said it still had voltage. i am stumped and could use all the help i could get. thanks alot!
You need to discharge the battery on the charger (if your charge has that ability to do it) and see what the mah is? That what I do on my accu-cycler. I usually discharge it at .3 amps. It will take awhile, but you can see what your battery can do.

Manny
Old 05-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

yea, well thats my problem, my charger cannot discharge nor does it show the mah. but if it still has voltage, why cant it run my xxx-t?
Old 05-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You may have a "bad cell" That usually will able you to see voltage but not have abundant discharge current. That is just a guess. I see this alot on automotive batteries with multiple cells.
I also had a pack one time where the cheap thin strips of tin that connected the cells together actually came un-spot-welded from the cell. It seemed to take a charge, but would not conduct enough to power the vehicle sufficiently.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

yea, well thats my problem, my charger cannot discharge nor does it show the mah. but if it still has voltage, why cant it run my xxx-t?
The mah or voltage on charging does not mean that much as the discharge mah because that is what your car will be doing. I do not know what is wrong with your battery.

Manny
Old 05-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I dont think its the battery. How long has it been since you cut or put new brushes in your motor?
Old 05-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

the truck is brand new, i got it saturday, and so is the battery pack. i charged the pack about 3/4 full charging at 1.5 amps and then the rest on 5 amps. it ran fine when i took it out the first time. but the second time i charged it it only lasted for about a minute.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default ...

what kind of charger do you have i had this same problem with an older charger of mine and what was happening was it would peak the entire pack when one of the cells was charged so even though the rest of the cells were dead since that one wasnt dead it would beep at me anyways long story short you might need a new charger or battery pack one way to check it out is have your local hobby shop peak your battery or have a freind do it
Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

i have a dynamite vision peak ultra charger if that helps at all. but the only thing that i could see that i have done to hurt it is charging it at 5 amps.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

When I am in a hurry, I charge my cells at 6.5 amps. No problems ever. I agree with the others, sounds like a bad cell.

Invest in a discharger. Get the 20 amp reactor discharger from Integy. Its only 30 dollars or less.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

buy a discharger, discharge the battery, then charge at 5 amps till it fully charges.

if it doesn't run more than 2 min. buy a new battery pack.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

does the discharger work with sport packs??
Old 05-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Don't buy anything....... Dischargers are not necessary for bashing or anything less than hardcore racing. Total waste of money otherwise.

Did you try charging the battery again? The battery should be warm at the end of charge.

I'm guessing the charger "false peaked", which means the charger shut off before the battery was actually fully charged. The battery should take 45 minutes or so if it's dead.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

if you buy a discharger that uses bulbs to discharge the battery it will work fine with sport packs.

try chargeing entill the battery gets warm (not super hot but hot enough were it's like a hot pad on medium.).

hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Dischargers are a good investment, bashing or not. Proper battery care is inexpensive, easy to do, and will save you lots of money in the long run.

You don't necessarily need anything fancy, digital, or anything like that. 10 2-amp lightbulbs and some wire, and you can solder your own discharger together for a few bucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.