R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-04-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Exclamation Convert Stick Radio to Left Thumb Steering, Video Gamers Rejoice!

I recently just purchased a Super Exzes Plus radio and converted the steering to the left thumb and I love it!

If anyone has been put off trying to drive stick radios because the throttle is on the left thumb and steering is on the right (I know I am not the only one), well now I have a way for you to configure a Super Exzes Plus to your specification!

First of all, I had to take the Exzes Plus apart, then I swapped the right stick assembly (steering) to the left mounting bracket and installed it there. No modification needs to be done at all to do this. It is as simple as removing a few screws.

I had to remove the left stick assembly completely from the unit. Here it gets a bit tricky. You have to extend the wires on this stick. The wires are very thin, I believe anywhere from 32-28awg. I didn't feel up to soldering wire extensions here, so I took the throttle stick assembly to a local electronics repair shop to get the wires extended 3". It only cost me $10 to do this and it looks really nice. So now I have the throttle on my right thumb!

The reason I did all this is because my brain is unfortunately wired permanently to steer with my left thumb. Anyone here can forgive me if they have played video games such as Gran Turismo, Project Gotham Racing, Moto GP, Rally Cross, etc.. on their XBOXs and Playstations. We all know that console games steer with their left thumb and so that was my goal here.

I am sure I am not the only person who has wanted to do it and I am here to tell you that it can be done. I was even told by the guys at Airtronics that I couldn't do this, but I didn't listen to them. I am glad too because I am much happier. My controls feel more 'intuitive' and I feel much more in control of my off-roaders!

High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova

Last edited by mattnin; 03-06-2009 at 10:11 AM.
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Interesting. Nice job on that conversion. Stick radios for driving seems to be much more popular everwhere else except in the US, but seems to be gaining popularity here. I guess I've never looked at them to realize that the steering was on the right stick... I think I'd be inclined to switch them too.

Good post!
Mr.Maim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Very interesting mod! Do you find it a lot easier to drive with the stick radio now vs. a wheel radio?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

I also drive with a stick radio and actually tryed both. The steering is the same as with the wheel, the difference is mainly felt on the throttle/brakes. I find it a lot easier to brake only a little bit, wheres with the pistol radio - i experience difficulties when i want to touch the brakes only for a milisecond and that also alters my braking point, i can brake a little bit later with the stick radio.
Taurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

I see a huge difference now steering with sticks. I am cutting corners tighter, I can correct for oversteers faster, and I have such precise throttle control now.

I mean, just a couple weeks ago with a wheel radio, this guy was telling me to steer sooner because I was just going too wide in turns.

I just don't have the dexterity in my finger tips, but I do have very good dexterity in my thumbs. I blame it all on video games
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova
Old 05-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
Tech Adept

I need to look for my old Futaba 2 stick and give it a try. I use an Xbox controller on my PC to play racing games and use a thumb based track ball for FPS type games. I havenít seen inside a 2 stick and I guess they arenít all the same but I have to wonder if you couldnít just rotate the sticks and change channels on the RX. Not that I have any trouble soldering. Now where did I pack that old 2 stick away to...
TGA78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Stick is the fav for me although i drive both.
I have 2 EXZES radios but on my PS2 i run my throttle on the left and steering on the right but thats when the game has the setup option.

The movements on stick helps to drive smoother as the thumbs are a slower moving finger and it also lends to better control.
With pistol type radio i drive well but tend to overdrive the car with too much steering and too much throttle.Its more like a on / off switch.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I've been wanting to go to sticks myself. Been looking for an exzess that I can use my spektrum module from the M8 in. I first started with sticks and think I can control the steering better with them. But, haven't used one in forever to compare so who knows really Although I do like the steering on the right.
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:19 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

There are two really nice radios out right now. There is the Super Exzes Plus that is the M11 stick version. There is also the new Esprit 3 Universe that is the EX-10 Helios stick version.

If someone ever gets the Esprit 3 Universe, or any other stick radio that converts it to left thumb steering, post here! I plan on keeping this thread alive for anyone who ever has aspirations to go to stick radio and who needs to convert to left thumb steering.

I am going to post pictures soon enough of my Exzes Plus with the left thumb steering mod.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

It seems like the Exzes Plus is a really hard radio to get right now. It isn't on ebay, and Tower Hobbies discontinued it. It is in the recent Airtronics catalog though so there is just a limited supply right now.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

i wish someone would figure out how to bind my 360 controller to my Fasst receiver i mean come on they are both 2.4 wooo steering on the left stick gas/brake on da triggers lol. it would be all bad out there for the competition heh

kyle

OS Speed Engines
Futaba
Panther Tires

CRCRC Raceway Webmaster
FullThrottle Raceway Webmaster
KForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

For me the throttle on the left hand side and the right hand side stick controls the steering makes more sense to me, but this is only because I fly RC airplanes as well .

With the airplanes, the left hand stick is the throttle and rudder and the ailerons and elevator are on the right hand stick. Usually I fly more with the ailerons and elevator to manuver rather than the rudder so I am using my right hand to steer more than the left. (considered mode 2 controller)

In Europe and most of the Asian countries they fly with the throttle on the right, and the steering on the left(They call this a Mode 1 controller). I am not sure if this is true on the RC Car stick radios overseas, I haven't been to an RC track at all when I was in Taiwan. Probably also because I couldn't find one.

I actually thought that the mode 2 controls would be more logical for RC car people, but it seems more people do prefer the mode 1s.
s5lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGA78
I need to look for my old Futaba 2 stick and give it a try. I use an Xbox controller on my PC to play racing games and use a thumb based track ball for FPS type games. I havenít seen inside a 2 stick and I guess they arenít all the same but I have to wonder if you couldnít just rotate the sticks and change channels on the RX. Not that I have any trouble soldering. Now where did I pack that old 2 stick away to...
eugh... trackerball... give me a mouse anyday.

i find wheel controllers easier, as when the car is coming toward you and you want to go right, you have to press left on the controller. it's counter intuitive. i find it hard to steer correctley when the car is doing anything other than going away from you, but then i've only ever driven cheapo 2 channel stick sets that werent proportional, so i can't really decide yet.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:45 AM   #14
Tech Regular

this thread is pretty interesting indeed.

I am a UK stick racer, have been for around 17 years.

I am SO RUBBISH with a wheel radio, can't control the throttle or brake very well at all.

I find when playing computer games the controls are 'backwards' I was into RC cars with stick radios before video games...
Old 05-11-2007, 06:13 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

I will try to post some pictures tonight or tomorrow of the radio. It even feels like a video game controller now! I have a dial on top that is traction control, a button that turns off traction control, and another button that turns on automatic rate control for the throttle, so it gives it like a 'boost' function that I can use if I need a little extra power for some reason if not just to stroke my ego a bit

I tried to take some pictures the other day, but the lighting must have been off or something because every picture came out blurry. I hope it isn't my camera! I might take the thing apart so I can show everybody what I did so you can know that it really wasn't hard to do at all.