Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Buggy

I am a little short on info starting this thread, but I am looking at a Tamiya 4wd buggy. I am not sure what model it is, but want some info on the Tamiya stuff in general - quality, durability, availability of good setups or anything else you can think of. Thoughts and opinions are welcome. Also, any comparisons with AE and Kyosho are great too. I will try to find out what model it is and post it.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Durga

I owned a Tamiya Durga 4wd and it handled great. I had to spend a lot of money on upgraded parts so it was more durable and the rear axles would still pop out. The hobby store at my local track did not carry parts for it and it was very difficult and expensive to carry a hobby store with me to the track. It is more difficult to get parts for it compared to a Associated.
I ended up buying an Associated B44 and getting rid of the Durga.
Tamiya customer service absolutely sucks in every way!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Tamiya makes 4wd buggys for everybody. their basic rtr's and beginner buggys are not the greatest if you plan on going racing with them. here I am refering to their DF03 / DF02 line of cars.. if you only plan to run in your backyard they will be just fine. for racing they are just not build tough enough.

The Tamiya 501x and the soon to be released 511x is purely intended for racing on a track and is not for beginers or bashers.

The Durga/ Baldre DB01 chassis is basically a less expensive 501x with everything made of fiber reinforced plastics and is really a great performer for very little money, true if you plan on adding every hop op available you might get a 501x for the same money... it does however have a semi sealed drivetrain and accepts stick pack/lipo which the 501x does not.

hope this helps
Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

If you racing look towards something else unless you plan on buying a 501x or 511x which are also mad $$$$.

durgas, dark impacts, and keen hawks suck for racing.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Initiate

well actually the 501x and the Durga shares the same suspension geometry and a lot of people (myself being one of them) find it to be a very capable racer pretty much strait out of the box, especially with a select set of upgrades, slipper being the primary.

ps tjeck out Oopl.com for further DB01, DF03 & 501x info and tests..
Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks guys all the info is helpful. I am a racer. I do not run my stuff in my yard ever - strictly race. I wish I knew which one it was. I know it takes the split pack and has carbon fiber chassis. I am going to try and get a hold of the guy and find out.

I also have one more question. Are the split pack setups worth it? I am also looking at the Kyosho that has the battery to one side and since I have lipo stick packs for my b4 and t4 would the expense of buying a different battery be worth it for like a b44 or another split pack car?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate all the previous opinions.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mracer
Thanks guys all the info is helpful. I am a racer. I do not run my stuff in my yard ever - strictly race. I wish I knew which one it was. I know it takes the split pack and has carbon fiber chassis. I am going to try and get a hold of the guy and find out.

I also have one more question. Are the split pack setups worth it? I am also looking at the Kyosho that has the battery to one side and since I have lipo stick packs for my b4 and t4 would the expense of buying a different battery be worth it for like a b44 or another split pack car?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate all the previous opinions.
then it must be a 501x either the the regtular one or the worlds edition. they are both very good cars. the worlds car has a few good upgrades but not much you cant retrofit on the old car...

about the lipo's it's really up to you and mostly your wallet.. split packs is neither better or worse than other lipo's...
Old 03-04-2009, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
If you racing look towards something else unless you plan on buying a 501x or 511x which are also mad $$$$.

durgas, dark impacts, and keen hawks suck for racing.
good to see you do homework and base your opinions on nothing.

The DB-01 does need one or two upgrades, but is rock solid afterwards.

If you got too much rear droop, fit spacers in the shocks. It uses losi wheels, you just need to upgrade the suspension mounts, front driveshafts and put the slipper in there. If you are running more than a 10.5/19T, you will need to put the 501X diff halves in the rear.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Addict

I've raced the DB01 plenty and can say it's up there with the best cars around once you've put some proper shocks and a slipper on it - still a good club racer without any hopups at all. I think RB FIVE is talking some trash as usual - not sure what his opinions are based on, but certainly not experience.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks everyone. I think I have made a decision based on what I am reading here and my location, and a few other things that have popped up. I believe I am going to hold off for now on that car, and any other four wheel drive. I think I need to do some more research before I spend any $$$.

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the input and keeping this thread clean.